Feb 20, 2010, 04:39 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

New 5-ch P-51 Mustang w/ Retracts Unboxing and Overview

New P-51 Mustang w/ Retracts Unboxing and Overview (11 min 36 sec)

http://www.nitroplanes.com/p51-1400mm-warbird-rc.html
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2010, 04:59 PM
Maj, USAF
I just ordered this plane today and am really looking forward to seeing it in action for myself! A scale warbird of this size, with those kinds of features in an RTF package at the sub $250 price point make it a pretty formidable product. I had been seriously considering the B-25 from Hobby Lobby because it also had scale looks, retracts, EPO construction, and brushless motors - But it was over the magical $300 barrier after shiping. That and the fact that Nitroplanes has never done anything but surprise me with their service and speed made it an easy choice for me!

The video is great as always - The Nitroplanes guy is 100 times better than the "other" well-known video guy from the "other company in California, who always makes it sound as if every one of his planes is rated for mach 2 with autopilot, and completely indestructible even in the hands of a child! It's refreshing to see honest reviews of products like this, and I'm hoping when the weather settles down a bit you guys will be able to post another fair and honest flight review.

On a related note - Are there any other RCG members who have this plane already? If so, can you share some of your thoughts?
Feb 20, 2010, 10:11 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Here's one: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=12737

(7 min 10 sec)
Feb 20, 2010, 10:14 PM
Maj, USAF
Well that wasn't the most encouraging maiden flight I've ever seen... Hopefully they've worked the bugs out a little since then!
Feb 20, 2010, 11:18 PM
Don't be disappointed with that "maiden". The crash seems has nothing to do with the product quality. As you would notice, the P-51 flew really well after he fixed his own "little" mistake. The prop was not installed at the factory, if you'd watch the nitroplane's youtube video. The builder has to install it himself:

I just placed my order few minutes ago.
Feb 20, 2010, 11:30 PM

Stock ESC

Nitroplanes, I just placed my order (yhst-17210252890263-116670).

What is the BEC of the stock ESC? Do you think that it's more than enough to handle retract's current draw? I don't mind spending more money, adding a separate BEC for the retracts, than having issues in the air...
I'll be using my own radio, Futaba 7C, 2.4 Ghz.

thanks...
Last edited by Spyro37; Feb 20, 2010 at 11:38 PM.
Feb 21, 2010, 05:05 PM
What size (Kv) Outrunner Brushless Motor does this plane have? The site has no info on the motor.

Thanks.
Feb 21, 2010, 06:32 PM
Maj, USAF
Ok, glad to know that the prop loss wasn't entirely the factory's fault... And I'm also concerned about the BEC issue - That could be a bad deal if it's not up to task, but something tells me Nitro has thought about that already. These guys have been right up there with Hobby Lobby on QC, in my experience.

I don't know what the KV of the outrunner is either, but from the looks of the videos, it's enough!
Feb 21, 2010, 10:50 PM
Retracts servos are usually heavy duty servos, specially, with a model like this, weighing 1,900 grams. In most cases, flyers, runs separate battery and BEC, due to it's high current demand. But, like you have pointed out, hopefully, they've got that all figured out. I hate adding extras, which is added weight to the model.
I can't wait to get this baby in the air. It will be my first war bird plane, other than my parkzone T-28, which has been 6 months since it flew. Mostly, I only fly 3D planes.
Feb 22, 2010, 06:11 PM
The ESC uses an external BEC so you guys will not have to worry about the ESC overloading from all the servo working at one time

I'm not sure what the KV for the motor is but I figure it's around the 600KV range. It has massive amount of torque for the 4 bladed prop but doesn't fly to too fast. The 4 bladed prop give the P-51 more of a scale like look, but if you guys want the plane to fly faster you can always use a 2 bladed prop for better performance.

-Tony
Feb 23, 2010, 12:20 PM
This plane just recently hit the web site and now out of stock. What kind of planning is that? Thanks.
Feb 23, 2010, 06:35 PM
Maj, USAF
Well, if it delivers on the promises seen in the description and unboxing video, it sold out that quickly because it is an awesome value.

It's hard to keep a risky item in stock the first time around, but trust me, if it lives up to the hype and it sold out that fast, there will surely be a large second batch for the follow up order. You might even get a price drop out of it, who knows! The fact is that by Nitroplanes standards, this is one of their most expensive offerings and it costs a lot to front the first shipment. Better to test the waters like this and then fast-track later it if all goes well, which I hope it does!!

PS - Where's the official Nitroplanes flight video? I've been to SoCal before, and I know you can count on lovely weather 300 days out of the year in that region. Surely conditions haven't been out of limits this whole time? Let's see it fly!
Feb 24, 2010, 01:04 AM

Huge thread on this giant p-51

Hey guys, I placed my order on this amazing warbird last friday, and got it today (tuesday), regular $12 shipping..
I did some extensive research regarding this plane, and found out that this has been out quite sometime ago. It first came out with a 3 cell set-up (my guess), but now, with a 4 cell & retracts included/pre-installed. A lot of the modelers converted the tail wheel to a retractable gear too.
Everyone was very happy with the model. I had also found several videos in youtube regarding this plane, which I was not expecting to see. But like I said, this model has been out there. Several flyers had mentioned switching to 2 blade prop for SPEED, and also mentioned websites where to get the blade/spinner to convert the prop.
If you have all day, here is one of the never ending threads:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...+51+fms+55&pag e=3

I was on my way to work when UPS came, but decided to open the box before getting in my car, WOW! is all I can say. I'm currently looking at the build manual, everything is "install screws" and that's it! The manual is just a big piece of nicely printed & folded glossy paper with pictures only (pretty much). It's like building a parkzone T-28, which is already built. Though, I have not yet put them together, I could say that this is a plane which is FUN to build, and I do not need to take some ADVIL before & after...
Two common comments that I've came across regarding this plane are:
Don't expect speed from this thing, unless you do some modification(s), second, the carbon/plastic rod or tube for the wing spar is not very long, and causes the wings (57" WS) to flex during turns. I have not flown or seen one yet, so who knows?

Video C&P:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P94f7...eature=related

Now check out this out landings with FLAPS ON !

P-51 Mustang Flaps 1450mm FMS - www.ready2fly.eu (1 min 6 sec)

I'll B back....
Last edited by Spyro37; Feb 24, 2010 at 04:09 AM.
Feb 24, 2010, 01:24 AM
Roswalt, regarding Nitro's promise (flight video), it's true that the weather has been pretty bad lately here. Believe it or not, yesterday & today, I was the only stupid one that flew within the area I leave - Simi Valley. The wind was blowing like hell & gusty too. Lucky that my planes are still in one piece. Weather forecast tomorrow and day after is no good eaither - rain? But like I had mentioned above, there are some videos uploaded on youtube that I found...and also: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+51+fms+55&pag e=3
Last edited by Spyro37; Feb 24, 2010 at 04:11 AM.
Feb 24, 2010, 03:37 AM
Just got home & checked the wing span, it was 57" not 55" as mentioned by nitroplanes.
Also, there is a thin flat fiberglass embedded under each wing, not noticeable due to paint
And wow, Tony from nitroplanes was serious about 10 minutes, to add/install flaps on this warbird. Drop the servos and some glues, linkage were provided already...
Last edited by Spyro37; Jan 01, 2011 at 12:11 AM.

Quick Reply