Servo Torque Tester - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 19, 2010, 01:22 PM
Discussion

Servo Torque Tester

Hi!

Has anyone built a Servo Torque Tester? Could you post a picture and any information. Thanks Mike
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2010, 01:34 PM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Just get a cheap chinese $10 pull scale, attach it to the servo arm, operate the servo, read what the scale displays, and calculate the torque.
Feb 19, 2010, 11:14 PM

Servo Torque Tester

Thanks Julez

I was thinking of a pull scale, also want to include volt and amp meter and homemade one inch servo arms to calculate oz. in torque and know when the servo is stalled. I am thinking of this scale and YTV Servo Cycler & Driver, that way I don't think I'll have to use the radio and will be able to hookup volt and amp meters easier. Thanks Mike
Feb 20, 2010, 09:45 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Hi,
Yeah, that's the way.
But use this one, it has a neat case:
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=8296

And don't use a multimeter to check the current, it's resistance will mess up the voltage. I always use a "watt's up" meter.
Feb 21, 2010, 03:11 AM
Julez

This is what I plan to do,not sure about the location of the watts up meter thou? Mike
Feb 21, 2010, 10:11 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Between servo driver and power supply, that's correct. Be sure to connect the servo later, so that you know how much current the servo tester alone draws.
Feb 21, 2010, 10:33 AM

Another digital scale & servo driver combo idea...

Dear Flyboy1001E:

The PIPE Here...I've had an engine static thrust test rig of my own design for some time now, but I've never had a chance to use it as yet...it was built to use a mechanical fish weighing scale to measure the static thrust of any particular four stroke engine & prop combo, but NOW with the digital scale I found at http://www.micromark.com/DIGITAL-PULL-METER,9577.html , and with it capable of reading a max force of 176 "avoirdupois" ounces (11 lb, or 5 kg) of force, now that a more reliable digital readout "meter" exists for it. And where my thrust measuring rig has MULTIPLE points on its 90 angle thrust measurement bellcrank to hookup the aircraft's tail, smaller forces can more easily be read, keeping in mind the "multiples" of the rotary "arm lengths" on the gauge in use at the time.

Iv'e also seen a VERY nice servo driver and pulse width meter combo on one device, at http://www.vexacontrol.com/xciter_details_1.html for the "Vexa ServoXCiter EF" unit...its digital display gives the driving servo pulse width in microsecond increments, it has automated servo checkout capabilities, and a manual servo driving knob to set a servo in any deisred position, as well as MANY other features...basically, I'll be getting one in time to act as a replacement for my similar Ace DataMaster digital readout servo checker from at least a quarter-century ago, which was upgraded by myself "way back then" to have the Ace Servo Cycle unit's automated servo cycling feature added to it, to be able to "burn-in" a new servo.

Get a good look at both of thse units for doing this sort of thing, in combination with each other...the Xexa servo driver sure looks like a winner for its versatility on its own, but when used with a digital force gauge and a current meter to measure servo current under test, the makings of just about a complete servo strength checkout unit should all be there for one's needs.

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE...!
Feb 21, 2010, 04:33 PM
Julez: Thanks for answering my question about the meter.
PIPE: Great links, that's one sweet servo tester and great little scale Thanks Mike
Sep 24, 2010, 04:11 PM

Servo Torque Tester

I finally finished a couple testers

The first built with scrape wood scrap shower frame a couple bellcranks and a digital 2kg/4.4lb scale.

The second built with scrape wood small clamp and micro mark digital pull scale 10kg/21lb. I was a little disappointed with the scale description as it was advertised as 176oz/11lb. One nice feature is it has a hold feature.

Servo used was the same in both. Sorry for the bad picture as I did not want to leave the servo stalled long. MIKE
Sep 24, 2010, 04:42 PM
Neato. I like #2 - simple is always better.

Bill

Quick Reply