Black Witch Foam Speed Plane Development / Build
- Code Name: Black Witch (Alpha 1)
- Wingspan: 26"
- Length: 21"
- Weight: 13.24 oz
- Prop: APC 4.2x2 for initial testing (80mph on 3S), APC 3.9x4.1 (82mph on 3S), APC 4.75x4.1 (~100mph on 3S).
- Motor: Turnigy 2836 3700kv, $16.69 HobyKing.
- Battery: Turnigy 4S 1000mha, $13.17 HobbyKing. Rhino 3S 1350mha for initial testing.
- ESC: Turnigy 60A Plush, $37.64 HobbyKing.
- Total Power System Cost: $67.50
- April 3, 2010 1st Flight: Windy, started to rain toward the end, and CG might be off. But it flew. Rhino 3S 1350mha, APC 4.2x2 prop.
- April 18, 2010 2nd Flight: Better CG, better weather conditions. Dopplers around 80mph. Rhino 3S 1350mha, APC 4.2x2 prop.
- April 22, 2010 3rd Flight: Just practice flying. Uneventful.
- April 24, 2010 4th Flight: Nothing special. 82mph on 3S APC 3.9x4.1 prop cut down from 4.1.
- May 1, 2010 5th Flight (No good video): Around 100mph on 3S with a 4.75x4.1 prop. It loses all aileron control at high speed. Crunched the nose a bit on landing so going to retire this one and build a new version.
Last edited by DreamArcher; Jul 12, 2010 at 07:11 PM.
That looks fast when it's standing still !
One thing though.. With that sharp taper might the stall be a rather nasty? Keep it fast and dont pull too much up elevator would be my advice.
CG should be ok where indicated but by my calc that's about as far back as you would want to go, a fraction forward may be safer for first flight?
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Apr 05, 2010 at 06:29 AM.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Contest||2010 Flat Foam Speed Challenge: Top speed is JIMBAKER at 91.0 mph||The Don||Foamies (Scratchbuilt)||986||Jan 23, 2011 12:23 PM|
|Discussion||Advice on first foam plane build||TamiyaCowboy||Foamies (Scratchbuilt)||35||Feb 18, 2010 12:55 PM|
|whair can I get free plans to build foam RC plane???||Aksel89||Parkflyers||4||Jul 09, 2004 04:07 AM|
|Speed 400 Acrobatic Plane help (Foam constructioN)||ssyed||Foamies (Kits)||1||Jun 17, 2004 05:07 PM|
|Alert||Is there an ait plane i can build out of foam that can do 3D without going brushless?||lttakas||Foamies (Kits)||13||Nov 24, 2003 11:13 PM|