Feb 18, 2010, 11:30 AM
2 MANY TOYS :-)
Thread OP
Help!

Federal Standard paint purchase

Looking to get paint for my RAF SAR Westland Wessex HC 2 heli. I have the correst Federal Standard 595 code, but can't find a source to buy it from. Any helpful reply welcomed.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
IRCHA 3355
Major USAF
Retired
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2010, 05:58 AM
you might try www.warbirdcolors.com
Feb 19, 2010, 08:14 AM
ARFs Are Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhouin
you might try www.warbirdcolors.com
Bob has your answer.

The colors are accurate. Water clean up.

Good stuff, for sure !!!
Feb 19, 2010, 08:30 AM
Thread OP
Many thanks guys. This was one of those times that Google let me down. I knew some of you pro's here would be helpful.

Cheers - Boyd
Feb 19, 2010, 08:43 AM
ARFs Are Me
IF you go with WBC, follw the instructions implicitly. By doing so, you won't have any problems.

WBC sprays differently than most products. That's why you need to follow the instructions for spraying.

I use distlled water for thinning. The viscosity should be the same as milk.

Dark colors take less water than the lighter ones.

Good luck, and have fun !!!
Feb 19, 2010, 08:44 AM
I'm suprised that the RAF would use Fed Standard 595 paint colors.

Federal Standard 595 is a US paint standard, and the UK has it's own British Standard (BS) color system. I would expect RAF aircraft to be painted in colors using the BS system.

What is the source of your color information? Are you using RAF technical documents to reproduce the accurate colors of an aircraft, or using the paint information from a plastic model kit?

A plastic model is more likely to include painting instructions using Fed Standard paint colors, because the colors are similar to the correct colors, and they are available from model paint suppliers. I don't know of anyone supplying British Standard colors in model paints.

Ken
Last edited by Ken Barnes; Feb 19, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
Feb 19, 2010, 08:57 AM
ARFs Are Me
There are FS colors for just about everything.

If you have the correct FS number, you color will be correct.
Feb 19, 2010, 08:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Barnes
I'm suprised that the RAF would use Fed Standard 595 paint colors.

Federal Standard 595 is a US paint standard, and the UK has it's own British Standard (BS) color system. I would expect RAF aircraft to be painted in colors using the BS system.

What is the source of your color information? Are you using RAF technical documents to reproduce the accurate colors of an aircraft, or using the paint information from a plastic model kit?

A plastic model is more likely to include painting instructions using Fed Standard paint colors, because the colors are similar to the correct colors, and they are available from model paint suppliers. I don't know of anyone supplying British Standard colors in model paints.

Ken
Like Tom posted, the federal standard color chips are available for many nations other than the USA. They have pages of color chips for period aircraft both fixed and rotary wing for the RAF and RN. They have a chip specific to RAF SAR Helis which is where I got the code from. At a scale comp, I'll have the FS color chip for the judges to hold up to the model to confirm the replication.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
IRCHA 3355
Major USAF
Retired
Jul 11, 2019, 05:31 PM

Federal Standard Paint By LVP Paints

LVP Paints sells FED-STD-595 paint. If you have the color code you can easily find it on their site. Their is also no minimum order size and it is good on metals & plastics: https://www.lvppaints.com/Federal-St...ray-Paint.html

Quick Reply