Thread Tools
Feb 24, 2013, 10:49 PM
Faster is Better
OldeMan's Avatar
Re maidened my repaired D-S yesterday... and holy moly... it felt great! I couldn't tell any difference in flight characteristics, and barely any change in trim. Love this plane. Death to trees.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 25, 2013, 08:16 PM
Knobbs
I think I'm gonna let my D-S go. I flew it in some pretty good wind the other day after not having it out for a while. Really had a lot of fun, but the trim thing is just too much. The ailerons are deflected like 15* in opposite directions (maybe more) just to fly straight. Have tried a few things to straighten it out, to no avail. Most recently tried the piece of balsa on RH wing like somebody else has posted on here before. Got rid of a few points of trim, but still carrying like 65 left trim. And, now it rolls right in a high speed dive. I realize I could keep screwing with it until I found a solution, but I think I'd rather sell it and get something that flys straight(er) from the get go.
Unless....somebody has a Blaze wing they want to part with for not a ton of $$$.

Rishelman
Mar 04, 2013, 07:28 AM
Registered User
IamNabil's Avatar
I just ordered a blaze. I have some laminate left over from my crashtesthobby Titan. Should I plan on laminating the control surfaces as soon as I get it in? Full disclosure, my plan is to fly this plane pretty hard. It is an upgrade from my suicidal AXN Floater Jet.
Mar 04, 2013, 03:23 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
StarHopper44's Avatar
My advice - fly it first & see what it needs. You might be one of the....not 'lucky ones' but more, 'not one of the unlucky ones', & not much sense in fixin' what ain't broke, right?
Mar 04, 2013, 03:41 PM
Registered User
IamNabil's Avatar
I could riposte with "better safe than sorry!" ��
Mar 04, 2013, 04:20 PM
A geriatric flier
Watdazit's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNabil
I just ordered a blaze. I have some laminate left over from my crashtesthobby Titan. Should I plan on laminating the control surfaces as soon as I get it in? Full disclosure, my plan is to fly this plane pretty hard. It is an upgrade from my suicidal AXN Floater Jet.
IMHO the Blaze is not a crash dummy type plane and I do not think you can crash proof it without changing it's flying characteristics. I would buy one and fly it for what it is and buy a Hobbyking glider (not the Dynamic) as a crash dummy.

As far a better safe than sorry you have to know what you have to be sorry from before you can make it safe. People have different problems and if you try to cater for all of these you will be flying an overweight dog. The only things I did to my Blaze is add 10g weight to balance the plane across the line of the wings and a strip of reinforced tape on the ailerons.
Mar 04, 2013, 05:04 PM
Registered User
Having flown my Blaze for a while now and kept it in one piece virtually "as is" I'm not certain whether much beefing up is worth the effort. The Blaze is nice to fly and great fun but it is not a ball of fire and warmliner as a description is pretty optimistic. Even in a full power dive mine pulls out easily with the elevators seeming to show not flutter or flexing. Please note that when doing this sort of thing I do not snatch "up" but apply the movement as smoothly as possible.

If dived without power the speed steadily stays steady or into wind decays so elevator never becomes a problem.

I'd say just go fly and find out what yours does before doing too many mods.
Mar 05, 2013, 07:24 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
StarHopper44's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNabil
I could riposte with "better safe than sorry!" ��
Yes.....yes you could. But as stated, I was offering advice; didn't realize you were looking for a debate.
My mistake.
Mar 05, 2013, 07:58 AM
Registered User
IamNabil's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44
Yes.....yes you could. But as stated, I was offering advice; didn't realize you were looking for a debate.
My mistake.
It was a joke. Hence the smiley face, SH.
Mar 05, 2013, 10:32 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
StarHopper44's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNabil
... the smiley face, SH.
��

A Picasso? Sorry, din't catch that.
Mar 05, 2013, 03:05 PM
Registered User
IamNabil's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44
��

A Picasso? Sorry, din't catch that.
Haha. First time posting one of the built in smiles from Windows 8. Looks fine on my tablet, but if I open this post on my iPhone, it looks special.
Mar 11, 2013, 09:34 AM
Registered User
IamNabil's Avatar

My maiden


So, I maidened her this weekend. I thought she was a bit touchy, which I liked, but I had dialed her in with pretty big throws, and setup 60% expo.

Unfortunately, I trusted her to my 9X, a radio I am growing more and more dissatisfied with. She crashed onto a roof nearby. These pictures are of the damage.
Mar 11, 2013, 10:20 AM
Registered User
Fentonflyers's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNabil
So, I maidened her this weekend. I thought she was a bit touchy, which I liked, but I had dialed her in with pretty big throws, and setup 60% expo.

Unfortunately, I trusted her to my 9X, a radio I am growing more and more dissatisfied with. She crashed onto a roof nearby. These pictures are of the damage.
Was it the 9X 2.4 protocol? I had problems with that too. Might be too much expo as well. I don't think I have more than 15%or 20% on the ailerons with recomended throw. I had a lock out when I first purchased my Blaze with yet another 2.4 brand and destroyed the fuse like yours. I ordered a replacement fuse from HK for the Dynamic. It works just fine though there is a slight difference in the tail.
Mar 11, 2013, 10:30 AM
Registered User
IamNabil's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers
Was it the 9X 2.4 protocol? I had problems with that too. Might be too much expo as well. I don't think I have more than 15%or 20% on the ailerons with recomended throw. I had a lock out when I first purchased my Blaze with yet another 2.4 brand and destroyed the fuse like yours. I ordered a replacement fuse from HK for the Dynamic. It works just fine though there is a slight difference in the tail.
It was the default 9X module. I doubt it was the expo, as if I had throttle control, I could have at least given it some juice, since I didn't have it trimmed yet. It would have lifted over the building. I had zero control over the flight of the plane. For what it is worth, it certainly was fast in a dive!
Mar 11, 2013, 01:22 PM
Knobbs
Bummer! So sorry to see that.
Did the wing survive pretty well? Looks like maybe a little chunk there on the LH wing (right side in pic), is that it?
Rishelman


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion X-models xray sport hotliner details needed. stevext Electric Sailplanes 1 Nov 03, 2014 02:34 PM
Discussion ST Models Fox EP ARTF Kn0bby Electric Sailplanes 10 Jun 29, 2011 10:42 PM
Sold ST models RTF Cessna avoidingexpert Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jan 25, 2010 05:15 PM
Discussion ST Models DG1000 Elite Aerial Photography 0 Dec 20, 2009 11:07 PM
Discussion ST Models Piper Cub EP ARTF Baz Ck Electric Plane Talk 0 Sep 02, 2009 10:37 AM