Mar 19, 2016, 09:11 AM
Ok cool I've checked and my motor weighs 140g. 20g isn't much but right out on the nose it's going to have more of an effect. I'll see how it goes, I'd rather use one I already have if I can get away with it. The motor will take 4s so if it does work I can hopefully have a rocket ship
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2016, 06:13 AM
I removed the nose weight from the model last night as the previous owner had used it without the motor. The removed weight was 139g so that's promising! I'm going to end up adding a few more grams with the prop and spinner but hopefully this should be doable
Apr 02, 2016, 02:50 PM
Well that didn't end so well!
Apr 05, 2016, 04:15 AM
Slope Slope Slope
Bit of glue and tape and she'll be good as new!
Apr 09, 2016, 01:21 AM
Suspended Account
Interesting!
Apr 09, 2016, 05:28 PM
I think it was a stall, probably not helped by the heavy motor I had in it. I swapped it for a 30g lighter motor, (10g lighter than the stock one), which also meant I could remove the 15g of weight on the tail I had to add to hit the cog. So all in all she is now 45g lighter and I can move the battery further forward to bring cog to the front of the balance point.

Went out to remaiden yesterday and so far and to be flying great
Blaze Maiden: Lighter motor (2 min 19 sec)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Apr 17, 2016, 09:51 PM
dp, it looks to be flying great! good job!
Apr 18, 2016, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxmasonrya
dp, it looks to be flying great! good job!
Yeah thanks after the initial crash its been flying great and its my new favourite plane! (For now at least )

For anyone looking for a motor to put in this plane I can recommend the one I am now using:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

It's 10g lighter than the stock pnp motor and with a 9x6 prop has loads of power.
Apr 25, 2016, 03:02 PM

Will it Slope..?

Yes it will!! Since my dodgy start this plane goes from strength to strength. Took it to the slopes this weekend and it performed very well
Blaze: Sloping and avoiding Wabbits! (1 min 18 sec)
Apr 26, 2016, 09:48 AM
Slope Slope Slope

Of course it slopes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp106
Yes it will!! Since my dodgy start this plane goes from strength to strength. Took it to the slopes this weekend and it performed very well
http://youtu.be/fuHU32Xqrz8
Yes it definitely does! My Dynamic-S variant came with a foam nose cone to replace the prop for this very purpose. I used this as my first semi aerobatic model before moving on to balsa and glass models.

Not the most efficient, but does the job with decent lift.
Apr 26, 2016, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy89
Yes it definitely does! My Dynamic-S variant came with a foam nose cone to replace the prop for this very purpose. I used this as my first semi aerobatic model before moving on to balsa and glass models.

Not the most efficient, but does the job with decent lift.
To be honest I knew it would but after my first flight there was always a question of could it stall nastily on me. Nope, since swapping the motor it's been a great addition to my fleet
Aug 07, 2016, 08:29 PM

Wing thickness

I had a couple of the Dynamic-S from Hobby King and love them to death - literally. Both eventually failed to respond in high speed dive and aerated the grass. Both also had a nasty habit of rolling to one direction in high speed dives - I think it was to the right. Darn spooky. I read earlier in the thread about differences in wing thickness.
I figured that the Blaze configuration of this model must be built to a higher quality standard as it's offered by Tower Hobbies. I'm obviously WRONG. My new Blaze arrived a couple days ago and today I set forth to assemble it. The difference in wing cord thickness was striking!

You can see in this picture from the trailing edge the difference at the TE and all the way up the root of the wings.

Well, this will have to do until Hobbyking Durafly Excalibur warmliner is introduced in a few weeks - then I'm definitely getting one of those. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2694227
Aug 07, 2016, 11:14 PM
scott,
Maybe I just got lucky with mine but my Blaze is still going and remains undamaged. In the air I really think I've pushed to the limits with no failures so far and I've avoided stuffing it. All of my foam components were good fits and the correct thicknesses. There have been times where I could have sold it off and yes, it isn't the fastest thing around but on a windy, blustery day it flies straight out and handles the weather. If I did sell it what else would I buy to replace it that even approaches the price? For me the Blaze has been genuinely good value for money.
Aug 12, 2016, 01:12 AM
I flew the maiden and one follow up flight with the my blaze on Tuesday. To my utter surprise it flew much better than the HK Dynamic-S. One reason for this is there is less plastic on the tail of the Blaze than on the Dynamic-S so it's not slightly tail heavy as the Dynamic-S was.
It flew right out of my hand and did not need ANY roll trim! I did need to use a couple clicks of ELE and then had an absolutely fantastic flight. Now I intentionally left the ESC brake off so the prop would limit my dive speed - but diving with the pinwheel prop it did not have any roll at any speed I achieved. I dove it from about 700- 800 feet several times. I only flew it twice because I had new spinner and prop blades ordered (and they are on now) - and I was satisfied it was a keeper.
The proof that it was a keeper was that nobody even suspected that it was a maiden flight and were shocked to know that. I had many comments that it looked great in the sky - and I thought it did too.

I only have those two flights - but will be taking it to a fly-in this weekend with the brake enabled and new "turbo" spinner.

Parting comment - the only modification was I replaced the ESC with a 45A ESC I had lying around from another project. Second flight was balls to the wall for 5 minutes and their was no noticeable warmth in the electronics.
Aug 12, 2016, 04:37 PM
Put an apc 11x8 folding prop on mine, along with a 40 a esc. Static amp draw went from 25 to 34. Totally worth it. Vertical performance is nuts. Still getting 18 minute flight times.
I also have the roll right at extreme speed, AKA aileron no response from weak servos. Time to go shopping.

Quick Reply