Nov 18, 2021, 06:02 PM
Thanks, here is picture of my best one. Need to cut rear to move motor forward, use either a spar across back, or aluminum (bent to 90 degree) strip Home Depot to support cutout angle, support with extreme tape. Otherwise a weak spot that will split in crash.
Last edited by Rdimand; Nov 18, 2021 at 06:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2021, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdimand
Thanks, here is picture of my best one. Need to cut rear to move motor forward, use either a spar across back, or aluminum (bent to 90 degree) strip Home Depot to support cutout angle. Otherwise a weak spot that will split in crash.
Rdimand,

I’ll be building a Titan soon, after trying most of the CTH wings, the Assassin is the one that really calls my name, so the Titan being a ‘big Assassin’ seems natural.

At 57” it’s larger than I’d like - the 48” range seems perfect, and falls in-line with your cut 2” from inside and out note above. I’ve got both a cobra and the Exceed ready for experimentation.

If you were building this Titan at 48”, can I ask how far forward would move the motor and where should the CG be? Any tips or tricks welcome!
Nov 18, 2021, 07:15 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Thanks, here is picture of my best one. Need to cut rear to move motor forward, use either a spar across back, or aluminum (bent to 90 degree) strip Home Depot to support cutout angle, support with extreme tape. Otherwise a weak spot that will split in crash.
Do you think you could eliminate the "split" hazard with a sufficiently stout spar placed along the motor cutout line, extending out as far as necessary?
Nov 18, 2021, 07:54 PM
Thanks guys, yes, either spar behind motor or aluminum 90 degree only way to prevent splitting, have tried rear spar, even if stout, still splits. I now have a lot of practice at repairs.

Helicool: not sure on Titan you would need to move motor forward, best to lay out components and check CG before any cutting. I made a 49" Rebel 14, adding foam to center and Lee extended wingtips, pics below. Didn't require moving motor, suspect Titan would be same. It's a beast with Exceed 3020-1500kv (essentially 3542).
Last edited by Rdimand; Nov 18, 2021 at 09:50 PM.
Nov 23, 2021, 07:46 PM
The Cutdown EDF is back. After crash had to have EDF unit rebuilt, got it back last week. Remounted with some better mounting. Flew 2 batteries today; It's Back!!! A power hog 5S 3000mah, Wemotec 480 69mm, HET 1W-40 3300kv, Castle 100 Lite, etc, 3 minutes and done. As good as ever. Here are 2 old videos. Enjoy! Just too much fun.

edf1 (1 min 57 sec)

EDF2 (2 min 26 sec)
Last edited by Rdimand; Nov 23, 2021 at 08:08 PM.
Nov 24, 2021, 04:26 PM
question for group. My EDF video is shot in 1080p, yet YouTube max is 480..... What is this dumbs... doing wrong??? can't seem to change it. Assume they want a higher $ subscription...

Thanks,
Nov 24, 2021, 09:34 PM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
question for group. My EDF video is shot in 1080p, yet YouTube max is 480..... What is this dumbs... doing wrong??? can't seem to change it. Assume they want a higher $ subscription...

Thanks,
I just checked my free youtube channel and video resolution goes up to 1080/60p. Which is what I upload from a GoPro camera. Have no idea why yours is reduced.
Nov 24, 2021, 10:54 PM
Quote:
I just checked my free youtube channel and video resolution goes up to 1080/60p. Which is what I upload from a GoPro camera. Have no idea why yours is reduced.
Thanks, no idea, even my dog videos, 1080 on my laptop, reduced to 480 on YouTube. a mystery.
Nov 25, 2021, 03:04 PM
Happy Thanksgiving all!!!

Got in 8 quick batteries this morning before festivities begin. Priorities.
Nov 25, 2021, 08:44 PM
aka: Major Tom
I would love to have a EDF but never considered a EDF Wing! Happy Thanksgiving.
Nov 30, 2021, 02:36 AM
I love EDFs on my wings. heres a pic of my Reaper XL with a 70mm fan on it. 3min is about right for these things lol they are power hogs for sure!
Nov 30, 2021, 03:44 AM
JS, great wing, superb motor mount, ?3D??
Nov 30, 2021, 01:48 PM
Quote:
JS, great wing, superb motor mount, ?3D??
Thanks! Yes it is designed and printed by myself. It’s not the prettiest but it works! It uses a plate on the other side that the bolts connect to in order to spread out the compression and hopefully avoid ripping a chunk in a crash. It sure beats the worm clamp that I used before.

Not sure if it’s because of the Amazon fan, but 70mm feels like a lot of power when you hold it, but it’s not a whole lot for the reaper. It’s pretty slow for me. But I do have a lot of tape on it so I’m sure that slows it down.

If anyone is interested in it, I can make the file available for you to print yourself. I design my own motor mounts and servo horns for my scratch built planes
Last edited by JSmith559; Nov 30, 2021 at 02:08 PM.
Nov 30, 2021, 04:21 PM
I would greatly appreciate the file. Thanks

Yes, power and size/weight huge with these power hogs. My EDF is a about 49” Cutdown Reaper to keep it light. Sadly the Wemotec/HET package is pricey but way more performance than many “standard” EDFs. Very happy with my 3min flights on 3000 5S. 6S was just way too much. Would think you might need 80-90 mm for XL.
Last edited by Rdimand; Nov 30, 2021 at 05:15 PM.
Nov 30, 2021, 08:37 PM
So this is my first assassin build...
Following the recommended parts list provided on the CTH site.
Under servos it lists mg90s servos from several suppliers.
I ordered a dozen from banggood and they arrived the other day...
Looking at them, my first thought is their rather small physically...
Im just asking before I put them in because i don't want to put in the wrong servos and then have to cut them out.
Here's the link to what I ordered....
Just want to double check.....
If their wrong im not out much and can just put then in my parts supply.....

[US$19.69 30% OFF]6PCS Racerstar MG90S 9g Mini Metal Gear Analog Servo For 450 RC Helicopter RC Car Boat Robot RC Parts from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood
https://banggood.app.link/JWuzC3gxClb
Last edited by sbuchho345; Nov 30, 2021 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Addition

Quick Reply