Aug 20, 2019, 09:21 PM
not sure if posted, Perry's Pumpkin Patch, on El Centro just north of El Camino, but entrance is south of main Pumpkin Patch stand on El Centro. Closer to truck stop, north of that on west side of road. More details to follow. If you guys can fly Stryker, wings should be easier. I have a couple Strykers, they can be a handful.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdimand
not sure if posted, Perry's Pumpkin Patch, on El Centro just north of El Camino, but entrance is south of main Pumpkin Patch stand on El Centro. Closer to truck stop, north of that on west side of road. More details to follow. If you guys can fly Stryker, wings should be easier. I have a couple Strykers, they can be a handful.
Have I mentioned how many times I've had to rebuild my Stryker? I think I'm on body #3. It's probably safest to treat me as an enthusiastic novice.

Thanks for the directions; I hope to make it out there on Thursday, and maybe even drag a few other folks along to check it out. Do things get rolling at a particular time?
Aug 21, 2019, 11:01 AM
We usually get there about 7
Aug 21, 2019, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdimand
We usually get there about 7
Thanks; we plan to head over there right after I grab my son from soccer practice. We'll probably arrive about 7:30-7:45 if that's not too late.
Aug 21, 2019, 02:03 PM
No prob we go to about 11
Aug 23, 2019, 12:48 PM
I'd just like to say thanks to everyone at Thursday Night Combat in Natomas for showing my friends and I such hospitality. It was great to meet folks, get some in-person advice, and see these planes up close. I even got to see Dr. Bob's experimental EDF Titan -- that thing is fast and incredibly quiet.

We've already placed an order with Lee at CTH, and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as my buddies, kids and I start the build process. Hopefully at some point we can join in the fun and get knocked out of the sky, too!
Aug 23, 2019, 03:29 PM
Thanks Grison, great to see all of you, looking forward to flying together!
Aug 28, 2019, 05:12 PM
Interested in folks thought, need for external BEC

Cutdown Reaper, Exceed RC 3015-1500kv, Castle Lite 75A esc w 5 A BEC, HS 225 Servos, 12V LEDs straightaway off battery. FRsky 4-6 ch receiver.

My first thought is no external BEC should be needed, just receiver and 2 servos from ESC BEC. I do have a couple Castle BECs.

Any thoughts??? Thanks in advance.

PS: Then same question, Cut Reaper 6s 2600, 100A Castle ESC 5 A BEC, HS 225s, same FrSky, 70mm EDF w HET in runner. ? Need ext BEC?
Aug 28, 2019, 07:58 PM
Lead On, O King
On external BEC's - I've been using them so that I can run the ESC for over it's rated amperage and save all the internal heat generation in the ESC for thrust.
I started doing that when using some of the HV ESC's because they don't have a built-in BEC, but lately I've been adding a small external BEC even for the low-voltage ESC's. I doubt you need the external BEC as long as you stay within the current rating for the ESC, but, Rdimand, I know how you like to push the limits!
Aug 28, 2019, 08:02 PM
Lead On, O King
P.S. The external BEC is really nice when your speed control literally sets fire to the EPP foam. Ask me how I know. I might have been a little over-propped and 2 cells higher than I should have been that day, and I had disabled all the internal safety stops on the ESC. Totally my fault. Came in for a nice smooth landing with the wing on fire. It was awesome.
Aug 28, 2019, 09:35 PM
Thanks
I’m only kinda pushing...75A Castle good for 105A and I leave cutoff over that active. 100A goes to 140 I think. Probably will add one to EDF, 6s and close to 100A, May do Exceed RC 4S and about 80A without external BEC. 6S EDF likely high amps for longer duration, the 4S wing not wide open very much. So far my ESCs don’t get hot.
Sep 03, 2019, 01:48 AM
Ouch, major crash of Cutdown Reaper, upon WOT takeoff with Exceed RC Rocket 3020 ESC shuts off as max power hit (105a) so I shut off motor and repower, usually no problem. BUT torque roll took wing right into huge water tank at construction site, a major crash. Busted both top/bottom transverse spars, ripped out motor mount, but all fixable, see pics. Learned a few things, the motor mount (Bangood furniture bracket unscathed - motor fine, my alum “L” brackets at rear to keep wing from ripping worked superbly well and just came a little loose.

Was able to fix spar damage with hollow CF squares that fit over glass rods. Did repairs today, can see cf “sleeves” in between blue tape. Expect bird to be back up for Thursday Combat.

I am sold on those motor mounts and the alum L brackets, what should have a fatal crash at fairly high speed very fixable. Foam needed some repairs, not to bad, and CF sleeves weigh about 5 grams.

Did slightly delay 2 new builds, Cutdown Reapers, one with same setup but motor forward to use 4S 3000-3300mah vs the 4000-4500mah and another with 6S 2600 and 70mm Wemotec EDF with HET 1W from Efflux RC. These should be hot, more to follow.
Last edited by Rdimand; Sep 03, 2019 at 02:18 AM.
Sep 03, 2019, 02:07 AM
Here is the Cutdown Reaper (49”) EDF underway. LEDs coming. My Titan EDF had cheap 80 mm EDF, this is 70 mm badass setup from Gary at EffluxRC, lighter than 80 and more power. Have had it for another project just sitting, we shall see how this goes. ETA maiden 1-2 weeks, another experiment. Will wait until almost done to mount motor to hit cg with 6S 2600-3000mah. 2500W at WOT realistic, but only for brief periods.....
Last edited by Rdimand; Sep 03, 2019 at 02:26 AM.
Sep 03, 2019, 09:40 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Part of the problem is the weight is the weight of the EDF is above the wing so in an impact it has more of a ripping effect than if it was on the center line with the wing.
Sep 03, 2019, 10:15 AM
Great point Lee, but for landing is much smoother, multiple spars and glass/ply mounting plates help. Definitely a work in progress.

Quick Reply