Aug 05, 2011, 07:00 AM
I agree with Rocky....may be stalling the servos. I would move the pushrods to the inner most hole on the servo arm. This will give you the greatest amount of torque available from the servo. You should be able to adjust the servo to its max throw and still get 3/8" movement. It may seem negligible to move the pushrod a few holes closer to the screw, but it makes a huge difference in how hard the servo has to work to control the elevon.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2011, 07:44 AM
Suspended Account
Thanks for the input. Going to be at the beach this weekend though I'm going to take my wing with me (not flying at the beach). I don't feel read flying inverted. Maybe after I get my new radio lol. I'm going to go ahead and adjust the push rod position on my servo arm. I think all in all It would help a ton to re position my control horns as well.

These are "HS 81-mg" that I got from ebay that said they are actually "HS 82 MGs" because they were mislabeled. Off to work I can reply back there.

These servos

Also sometimes when my servos are at neutral with the radio on they "jitter". You can kind of hear it in the video.

ALSO I'm using a new Mystery 30 Amp ESC since the crash.
Last edited by Bear_Pants; Aug 05, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Aug 05, 2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Has anyone tried these motors from Hobbypartz?

http://www.hobbypartz.com/86ma15-2220-1880kv.html

360 W 1880 kv may be a little hotter with the 7x6 prop

Here are a couple more. Look at the 75M35 and 75M55 both with 1800 kv.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m55-opti...-1800kv-2.html
I just wanted to see if anyone has tried any of these motors from Hobbypartz since Lee posted them a few months ago. Some of our club members will be purchasing Titans soon and I am looking at the motor options. I am thinking that the current choice is the 3530 from RCTimer but I have had good experiences with Hobbypartz and wouldn't mind a cross country purchase vs. an over seas purchase.
Aug 05, 2011, 10:57 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmowrey
I just wanted to see if anyone has tried any of these motors from Hobbypartz since Lee posted them a few months ago. Some of our club members will be purchasing Titans soon and I am looking at the motor options. I am thinking that the current choice is the 3530 from RCTimer but I have had good experiences with Hobbypartz and wouldn't mind a cross country purchase vs. an over seas purchase.
The titan thread is a few threads down
Aug 05, 2011, 11:20 AM
md....my brother has the rc timer one on his titan... it seems to be a tad stronger than the trngy 3530....it sppols up to top rpm quicker. i have not seen any reports on the 1800 alternative yet.

remember to let us know when you put that combat event together.

pat

p.
Aug 05, 2011, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20
We are thinking about early October. I need to post a thread with some info to gauge interest.
Aug 05, 2011, 12:49 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmowrey
We are thinking about early October. I need to post a thread with some info to gauge interest.
Wish I could go
Aug 05, 2011, 06:21 PM
Suspended Account
Trimmed her out and flew again. I caught my first wing today. She flew smooth into my hands. I need to reposition the horns I feel.
Aug 05, 2011, 07:09 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20
md....my brother has the rc timer one on his titan... it seems to be a tad stronger than the trngy 3530....it sppols up to top rpm quicker. i have not seen any reports on the 1800 alternative yet.

pat

p.
Hey Patrick, just curious as there were two of the RC timer 3530s.
One was purple (I think had a 4mm shaft like the Turnigy),
And one was gold (I think it had a 5mm shaft).
Sounds like it's working out OK then? Awesome... Seeing as it looks like HobbyKing may have dropped the Turnigy 3530 1700kv. Can't find it anymore anyhow.
Aug 05, 2011, 11:45 PM
Quote:
One was purple (I think had a 4mm shaft like the Turnigy),
Just checked the package, its the purple one, 4mm shaft. He really likes it.

I have a couple of their 2812's too, but havnt tried them yet.

P.
Aug 05, 2011, 11:46 PM
I have a feeling it is a supplier thing, if thats true, then I don't think rctimer is going to get anymore either, but thats just my speculation.
Aug 06, 2011, 12:01 AM
Planes in flames,,,
I'm interested in the HobbyPartz version. I just haven't ordered one to test yet (still have a couple 'o spare 3530s) I still end up ordering a lot of my stuff from HobbyKing, but HobbyPartz just seems sooooo much easier to deal with. Not to mention I think every order so far has arrived within the week (I think actually 4 days?)
Aug 06, 2011, 12:15 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
My Reaper is a beast with the Turnigy 3536-1400 with an 9x7.5 prop and 2500 3s. The motor comes down warm to the touch - not bad. It's got unlimited vertical and great speed with a killer prop-bite-noise. I'll try to take some more videos of it doing it's thing.

How do you guys launch your Reapers? I'm finding it difficult to launch well - perhaps I need to rethink my methods or learn from Lee and the other pros here...
Aug 06, 2011, 01:09 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Mainly three ways- Nice thing about the Reaper is that you can practice, a few or even a bunch of failed launches usually don't hurt anything
Whatever method you chose, the key is to get some airspeed going. Not enough airspeed or climbing too quickly will likely result in a stall and a snap roll into the ground.

The overhand throw: It is probably the easiest but definitely not the safest. Hold the plane, palm up and fingers gripping the trailing edge of the wing. Toss overhand like throwing a baseball, wings level and push more than throw parallel to the ground or perhaps slightly upward (too much and you will stall). Care has to be taken not to hit the throttle until the prop has cleared your hand. Check my blog, scroll down and you will see why I don't use this method any more

The pizza toss: Grab the plane at or near the nose. Hold it like a waiter would hold a tray. Throttle up and toss it into the air (object is to impart some forward motion, more that altitude). This is the way that I launch almost all the time and have had great success with.

The sidearm launch: I've watched Lee and others do the side-arm launch time after time successfully, me? not so much. Watch this video, it may be helpful...
Steel's way to launch his flying wing (2 min 8 sec)
Aug 06, 2011, 09:50 AM
I use I guess the side arm throw I guess thats what its called. Steel does great in previous viedo. He is the only one that I have seen that does it. The lainch that alot use is like Bear's launches and to me it looks the most stable However it can get ugly fast as Ninja says. HAVE to stay away from throtle until the prop is away from your hand. I would try the over hand like Bears video,s but I have a artificial shoulder and reconstructed elbow. I guess what I'm saying try a few different ways and see what works best for you. Its hard to knock someons launch whe it works well. I was flying the other day and every time I launched it would snap roll into the ground. Thought it had encountered some hanger rash somehow. Anyway the problem was a slight tail wind that I had over looked. Changed direction and it was night and day difference. Any way do what turns out to be best for you JMO. Good luck fly offen and most of all HAVE FUN.
Last edited by burhead27; Aug 06, 2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typo/spellingo

Quick Reply