Dec 26, 2012, 06:19 AM
UH60 Pilot
Looks like that motor/prop will do just fine if you already have one available.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 27, 2012, 01:05 AM
Hi all, just an idle question as I start my Reaper build, has anyone tried one of the 3 axis Gyro V2 from HK that will work on wings? I ordered one as part of my larger order because.. well...$17, why not?

I'd love to hear any reviews of the Gyro because if it works it would extend my flying day by hours. The winds get up here a couple of hours after sunrise and stay till sunset . The other trick is the new one has is that it can be switched on/off mid flight.

cheers

Chris
Last edited by Xmod; Dec 27, 2012 at 07:41 AM.
Dec 27, 2012, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmod
Hi all, just an idle question as I start my Reaper build, has anyone tried one of the 3 axis Gyro V2 from HK that will work on wings? I ordered one as part of my larger order because.. well...$17, why not?

I'd love to hear any reviews of the Gyro because if it works it would extend my flying day by hours. The winds get up here a couple of hours after sunrise and stay till sunset . The other trick is the new one has is that it can be switched on/off mid flight.

cheers

Chris
I've just ordered one and it might be fun to fit it on my Reaper ..... https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28456 .....

just to see what it can do ......

I need to find out how to wire it up for the wing ...... that would be a good start! ..... so if anyone has an idea how to do it please post ..... no instructions loaded up yet under the HK files tab for the V2, so far .....
Dec 27, 2012, 02:14 PM
i ordered the grim reaper a few ago xD
Dec 27, 2012, 11:21 PM
Bruce
I was going to install a pair of HS-82MG servos in a Grim Reaper that I'm finishing but notice that the larger standard size servo is now recommended if using a 35XX size motor. The HS-82 metal servos that I've used in my Titan and Assassin wings have held up great despite repeated abuse. A standard size servo with metal gears seams quite heavy and pricey when compared to the micro servos that I have always used. I'm not sure the non metal gear standard servo would last with the abuse I will give it.
One solution is the mini servo HS-225MG. It has more torque than a standard servo yet weighs only about 31 grams. It is more than twice the price of a standard servo at $26 each but I can live with that if it will hold up well.
Has anyone had experience with the HS-225MG, and is it a good match for a standard Grim Reaper that will see a lot of rough play?
Dec 27, 2012, 11:29 PM
wheeeeee!
I dunno, man, I've used the hs82mg's in all my larger planes except a Hercules. They've performed just fine. I fly pretty hard, too, on 3536 motors, and haven't had any stalls. I guess Lee either had enough experience, or enough people commenting to switch his recommendation, but personally, on a reaper-sized plane... I'll stick with the hs82mg
Dec 28, 2012, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan
I dunno, man, I've used the hs82mg's in all my larger planes except a Hercules. They've performed just fine. I fly pretty hard, too, on 3536 motors, and haven't had any stalls. I guess Lee either had enough experience, or enough people commenting to switch his recommendation, but personally, on a reaper-sized plane... I'll stick with the hs82mg
im gona use two mg90s, but i also got some bigger coronas servos too, i for got what size they are thoe, i know the are bigger the the mg90s thoe, and they are metal gear also
Dec 28, 2012, 12:40 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
The MG90s and the HS82MGs work, most of the time. We find people keep building our wings faster and faster and heavier and heavier until the smaller servos are overloaded. Linkage set up is also critical to maximize leverage. I know I harp on it but don't have a wreck for a preventable reason.

I dove someone elses high speed plane into the ground when it wouldn't pull out after a loop. If you think you are having trouble cut the throttle and get the plane on the ground at low speed, then check the linkages and servo strength before flying again.
Dec 28, 2012, 05:27 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
I ordered these for the Grim Reapers we are getting, hopefully they will be strong enough, BMS-620MG High Torque Servo (Metal Gear) 9.1kg / .15sec / 50g, nice price too and we have had a good run with these servo's before.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8776
Dec 28, 2012, 06:54 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Those are great servos. The MG90s only have about 2Kg of torque which is less than 1/4 the torque of the BMS 620MGs. A little bit of extra strength makes a big difference.

The disadvantage is that they also weigh 50 gms which is why people like the small servos.

Your servo is the only communication you have with your elevon.

I own 40+ of the MG90 servos and recommend them for the smaller planes. They are cheap and light and fairly reliable but they aren't built for the high demand use of big planes at high speed.

My rule is that if the plane is flying with the 2812 motor use the MG90s. Anything bigger needs bigger servos.
Last edited by Lee; Dec 28, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
Dec 28, 2012, 08:59 AM
I believe I posted these before, but it's worth reposting... After a nosedive and crash from pretty high up, I replaced the MG90S servos in my Grim Reaper with these much larger TowerPro MG995 Metal Gear Torque Digi High Speed Servo from RCTimer. They are much larger and weigh considerably more, but if it'll keep the elevons moving in a steep dive, I'll compromise And they're $13.99 for a set of 2, so the price is pretty hard to beat!
Dec 28, 2012, 09:07 AM
UH60 Pilot
HXT 10kg Servo (metal gear) 55g / 10kg / .16sec 

This is what I ended up throwing on my drxl.
Dec 28, 2012, 09:16 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Yeah Lee, I read about your mishap with someone else's plane and since I will be running this size motor (35-36A 1800Kv / 875w) with 4s battery's, I figured better safe than sorry.
Dec 28, 2012, 11:39 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
It is always embarrassing to nose dive another flyers plane into the turf.

I was flying and doing some speed runs checking doppler speeds and I came around the back side of a Cuban 8 turn and it wouldn't pull out. Lucky it was an Assassin. All we had was a minor foam tear and a little dirt imbedded in the foam after the plane hit the ground at 80+ mph.

Normally an Assassin would be OK with the MG90s but he had put a big motor on it and hadn't maximized leverage using the full rotation of the servo.

http://crashtesthobby.com/articles/10-mistakes-to-avoid
Last edited by Lee; Dec 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Dec 28, 2012, 12:04 PM
Not sure I understand this one:

"Do my servos stall when I test the radio while holding the flight surface?"

Can you be more specific about how you test this and what the outcome should be?

Quick Reply