May 21, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hit Me! Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan
We watched it through some welding masks, it was pretty amazing to see.
I heard every Home Depot in Utah was sold out of welding masks and shields. They'll probably all be returned this morning.
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2012, 10:50 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
We set up a binoculars projector that worked great. We could even see 3 sun spots. We also looked through a double layer of X-ray films and that worked well.
May 21, 2012, 04:50 PM
wheeeeee!
I know this isn't a re-winding thread, but I think quite a few people have used the blue motors on their Reapers (like the ones Plane Insane sells.) Anyone ever re-wound a 3530 1400kv blue motor?
May 21, 2012, 05:03 PM
Planes in flames,,,
I had a Turnigy 3530 1400kv that was rewound for around 1700kv.
It worked great. Monson987 did the rewind,
It's not impossible but the construction of these motors present challenges that aren't present with the little red motors.

Getting the old windings off is the big challenge. At least on the Turnigy motors there is a bunch of epoxy that makes it hard to get the old wires off. I guess the trick is to take off the backplate (also epoxied on). You'll wanna use a heat gun to get the backplate and old wires off (heat it up until it starts to smoke). I tried it before I got my heat gun and ended up chucking the motor. If you can get the windings off you are golden,
It doesn't come with the huge performance payoff that you get with the little red motors but if you want to bring it back to life it's worth a shot...
May 21, 2012, 05:31 PM
wheeeeee!
I know there are forums about re-winding, but before I spend three days reading, does anyone know of a method or link to a simple way to calculate winds/gauge to get the desired kv?
May 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elCapitan
I know there are forums about re-winding, but before I spend three days reading, does anyone know of a method or link to a simple way to calculate winds/gauge to get the desired kv?
From what I have seen, there is not a simple way to do that. The best way might be to start with a motor of known Kv and use the relationship that doubling the number of winds cuts the Kv in half. You could also use the Wire Size Calculator about half way down the following page to convert from the existing gauge and strand count to the desired gauge and strand count. As I understand it, it can roughly be adjusted by changing the cross sectional area of the wire on the stator.

http://www.bavaria-direct.co.za/models/motor_info.htm
Last edited by mdmowrey; May 21, 2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Additional thought
May 21, 2012, 08:57 PM
Zebro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cox8pilot
I finally finished very long build of my Deep Reaper.
Here is one of the first flights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n15zD3Cx3fU
Nice job coxpilot!

I have a eagle tree osd with guardian on the way

How do you like it? does the guardian works well with a wing? Easy to set up?

Thanks
May 22, 2012, 01:40 AM
Konstantin
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanickr1973
Nice job coxpilot!

I have a eagle tree osd with guardian on the way

How do you like it? does the guardian works well with a wing? Easy to set up?

Thanks
Thank you!

ET OSD & Guardian works very well. You can take off your glasses and drink a coffee while wing fly straight
I had spent some time to make RTH work well and still tune some parameters.

Here is another one video (not so shaky as previous)
CTH Deep Reaper XL (14 min 15 sec)
May 22, 2012, 09:02 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
I used to do a little flying and winch launching of the high performance gliders. The biggest problem we had was where the hook was attached under the wing. Too far forward and it would pull the nose down and too far back and the plane would do a rainbow into the ground. A winch uses a long cord of hundreds of feet so a quick bungee launch is not going to have so much time to pull the plane in the wrong direction.
May 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
Think I got the placement right for the hook. It launches with a slight climb and pulls hard enough that the plane will fly a decent distance after releasing if I don't add power.

Glider launches are definitely fun too!!
May 22, 2012, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87
Think I got the placement right for the hook. It launches with a slight climb and pulls hard enough that the plane will fly a decent distance after releasing if I don't add power.

Glider launches are definitely fun too!!
Especially the "inverted plough", aka the gopher~~~H
May 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Big Jim
As I was reading this thread it appears that the Reaper has evolved into a very versetal platform. I am going to order my power plant from Planes Insane but have a few questions.

1. 1400 KV w/9x4 or 1700KV w 7x6 what is the pro and con.

2. Can I run a 4s battery?
May 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Thread OP
Either will work. The 1400 is a little quieter and has better vertical.

4S is definitely faster but make sure your ESC has a BEC that will work with the higher voltage and amperage,
May 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
Big Jim
Thanks will do

Quick Reply