Jul 25, 2010, 02:29 AM
Suspended Account
no prizes for guessing the "new" feature incorperated into the dx8 being released at the end of the year ....
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2010, 07:33 AM
ancora imparo
Yeh, but they are still only showing battery voltage, temp, rpm and signal strength. Hope Spektrum add a current/mAh capacity sensor - which is the really useful one for eFlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerisapedo
no prizes for guessing the "new" feature incorperated into the dx8 being released at the end of the year ....
Jul 25, 2010, 09:49 AM
touching cloudbase not cloth!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604
Yeh, but they are still only showing battery voltage, temp, rpm and signal strength. Hope Spektrum add a current/mAh capacity sensor - which is the really useful one for eFlight.
multiplex m-link has all the telemetry of the dx8 plus current/mAh capacity sensor, and you can get it right now, but i think the main attraction to the quanam unit is the price. although im sure the multiplex unit is more accurate and reliable.
Jul 25, 2010, 05:57 PM
ancora imparo
The Jeti gear looks a good option if you don't want to replace your Tx at great expense. Multiplex is very nice, my Cockpit Tx has great ergonomics, but m-link is top of the line pricewise. Jeti have add-on modules including a "universal" one and a range of voltage, temp and current/mAh sensors. Jeti is good gear. It's STILL a change to a completely new incompatible 2.4GHz system if you already have stuff though.

As I said below this is a whole step above the Quanum price point. Quanum is still the only deal in town as a low cost add-on, keeping everything you already have. Come on guys - improve the current sense accuracy, reliability and display!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosaffa
multiplex m-link has all the telemetry of the dx8 plus current/mAh capacity sensor, and you can get it right now, but i think the main attraction to the quanam unit is the price. although im sure the multiplex unit is more accurate and reliable.
Jul 25, 2010, 06:17 PM
John
If I am using any battery over 6S I don't think that I can use the current monitor. Am I correct?
Thanks,
Neal
Jul 25, 2010, 06:29 PM
ancora imparo
Neal, I don't use big batteries and haven't tried that but I think you might be able to. The Hall effect sensor doesn't know how many cells there are, it just measures current and supplies data to the Tx. I would think if you plug the balance connector in with pin1 to -Ve as normal, you will get the first 6 cell voltages and it will supply the power to the Quanum through pins 1-3 as usual. Cells above 6 will just be ignored. Current and mAh should be correct. Let us know how it works.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobert
John
If I am using any battery over 6S I don't think that I can use the current monitor. Am I correct?
Thanks,
Neal
Jul 25, 2010, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobert
John
Thanks,
Neal

as i see, you can use it.

because the Current sensor board is powered by main Tx and didn't care about the main pack's voltage.

you just got 6s max at voltage show on the screen only(each one and your 6s total),another pack's cell voltage and it's collected voltage not be showed.

the current sensor checked your total pack's and it's correct. but the mAh calculate will be wrong.i think.

any way. when you use more than one balance connector pack.you have no choice and just got parts of information and showed on,some information will not be showed in such situation.

meng
Jul 25, 2010, 10:27 PM
ancora imparo
Meng, don't understand this. mAh is calculated from the current through the Hall effect sensor and the time from the clock in the microprocessor. What has the voltage got to do with it as long as it is enough to run the Quanum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAN
but the mAh calculate will be wrong.i think.

meng
Jul 26, 2010, 12:26 AM
Quote:
Meng, don't understand this. mAh is calculated from the current through the Hall effect sensor and the time from the clock in the microprocessor. What has the voltage got to do with it as long as it is enough to run the Quanum?
mAh calculated by Voltage and current.if you have more than 6s pack,you can't got total voltage.for example,such as you flying 10S pack,which have two balance connector,one is 6s,another is 4s.(6s+4s=10s).you connected your Tx with 6s pack and you connected your current sensor with 10s pack.
so, you will got 6s' voltage and 10s' current. in this situation, your mAh may be wrong.i think as that.

meng
Jul 26, 2010, 02:06 AM
ancora imparo
Thanks, Meng but I am confused. Provided the current is passing through a single current sensor I don't think it matters how many balance connectors are involved. The Quanum attached to the current sensor will give the correct value for mAh for the pack.

mAh = current (in mA) integrated over time. The technical term is a Coulomb counter. My understanding is that these gadgets sample at a fixed rate (say 1/sec) measure the current at each sample then multiply the current by the number of samples divided by the sample time. This is purely a function of the current sensor and the clock/counter in the microprocessor.

For example if the current sensor measures 5A (5000mA) steady and the time samples are 1/sec then after one hours worth of samples the reading will be 5000mAh. 5A measured each second for 3600 samples. If the current varies slowly in comparison to a second then the sum of all the samples gives an accurate value over the total time. Voltage doesn't enter into it.

For a 2S and 6S battery made up of identical cells then the CAPACITY is the same in mAh for both but the voltage (and therefore the available power and energy) is 3 times for the 6S. Running these two in series will produce a battery with 8x the single cell voltage but the same mAh capacity as one cell. Have I misunderstood this?

Regards, John
Quote:
mAh calculated by Voltage and current.if you have more than 6s pack,you can't got total voltage.for example,such as you flying 10S pack,which have two balance connector,one is 6s,another is 4s.(6s+4s=10s).you connected your Tx with 6s pack and you connected your current sensor with 10s pack.
so, you will got 6s' voltage and 10s' current. in this situation, your mAh may be wrong.i think as that.

meng
Jul 26, 2010, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Thanks, Meng but I am confused. Provided the current is passing through a single current sensor I don't think it matters how many balance connectors are involved. The Quanum attached to the current sensor will give the correct value for mAh for the pack.

mAh = current (in mA) integrated over time. The technical term is a Coulomb counter. My understanding is that these gadgets sample at a fixed rate (say 1/sec) measure the current at each sample then multiply the current by the number of samples divided by the sample time. This is purely a function of the current sensor and the clock/counter in the microprocessor.

For example if the current sensor measures 5A (5000mA) steady and the time samples are 1/sec then after one hours worth of samples the reading will be 5000mAh. 5A measured each second for 3600 samples. If the current varies slowly in comparison to a second then the sum of all the samples gives an accurate value over the total time. Voltage doesn't enter into it.

For a 2S and 6S battery made up of identical cells then the CAPACITY is the same in mAh for both but the voltage (and therefore the available power and energy) is 3 times for the 6S. Running these two in series will produce a battery with 8x the single cell voltage but the same mAh capacity as one cell. Have I misunderstood this?

Regards, John
Dear John,

thanks.

you are right,i make a mistake. i thought it's as power calculate,i forgot it's measure costed mAh any more.it's not business with voltage.

yeah, as you said,the mAh will be correct.only can't display more than 6s pack's voltage.

i am sorry i make a stupid mistake.again.

meng
Jul 26, 2010, 04:23 AM
ancora imparo
Hey Meng, that's MY speciallity. And the older I get the more stupid mistakes I make.
Quote:

i am sorry i make a stupid mistake.again.

meng
Jul 26, 2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Multiplex is very nice, my Cockpit Tx has great ergonomics

which cockpit do you have? i have owned the MM and now have the SX.
still miss my cockpit MM, probably the most comfortable TX on earth!!, but
really want the royal evo 9!!
Jul 26, 2010, 05:11 PM
ancora imparo
It's an SX which I added a Spektrum Futaba Tx module to. Superb design and good value for money. Can use it on 2.4 or 36Meg. Very impressive amount of thought went into the programming. Took me a while to figure out the logic coming from a one channel=one control background but when I got the hang of it realised how clever it was. Even managed to get it to work as a genuine 7 channel=7 separate proportional controls Tx which is not all that easy! The Evo is lovely but too much for my flying skills - it would be embarrassing to own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosaffa
which cockpit do you have? i have owned the MM and now have the SX.
still miss my cockpit MM, probably the most comfortable TX on earth!!, but
really want the royal evo 9!!
Jul 30, 2010, 03:58 PM
Quote:
It's an SX which I added a Spektrum Futaba Tx module to. Superb design and good value for money. Can use it on 2.4 or 36Meg. Very impressive amount of thought went into the programming. Took me a while to figure out the logic coming from a one channel=one control background but when I got the hang of it realised how clever it was. Even managed to get it to work as a genuine 7 channel=7 separate proportional controls Tx which is not all that easy! The Evo is lovely but too much for my flying skills - it would be embarrassing to own.
lol, i have the assan module fitted to mine, will be changing to corona as i cant find a decent supplier for assan in the UK. my flying skills wont do the evo justice either, but would still be nice to own one!!! looks like ill be PMing you for programming advice on the SX when i get stuck!!

Quick Reply