Feb 12, 2010, 02:46 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
Discussion

My 1st scratchbuild. Need airfoil advice

Ive decided to make my own design FPV plane. My stepfather owns a fiberglass tube manufacturing plant and can make me any sized tubing I need. When I worked there as a teen I remember making some extremely thin-walled tubing that would be perfect for a fuselage. This stuff is so light weight and strong as heck, wound extremely tight on mandrels. Anyway, so I plan on using it as a fuse and I have a guy who said he can cut any size and shape wings from foam I want. I plan on making a straight wing design much like the shadow 200, wing span in the 80-90" range

My question is: is there a specific airfoil that I should use? He told me he needed the airfoil and lenght/width before he cuts..obviously.

Any help would be appreciated. Im just in the preliminary planning phase as you can tell.
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah Baby
Good luck, I'm glad you didn't give in

Simon
Feb 12, 2010, 03:19 PM
Engineer for Christ
It depends on what type of plane you are building. Here are a few recommendations:

For 3D - NACA 0014 or 0015
For mild speed pattern - Gottengen 286 or NACA 23015
For high lift - Clark Y or Gottengen 438
For speed - USA 49 or MH30

-Alex
noob question, why did you give up the zephyr? dont wanna sand the paint off and repaint?
Houba ! Houba !!
It all depends on the type of flying you want to do. I Suspect a glider type plane is always a good choice for FPV.

I would suggest you kinda copy a multiplex wing profile such as easy glider ,cularis,or easy star.
These planes fly really well so there is no need to reinvent the wheel

then you can use http://www.profili2.com/eng/default.htm to edit the profile which looks the closest to it, print it, cut the templates and give them to your friend.

Sounds like a plan to me
Feb 12, 2010, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob00
noob question, why did you give up the zephyr? dont wanna sand the paint off and repaint?
Zephyr's not been given up on at all. Ive removed the covering and Im waiting on my new 10x gps from eagle tree before I recover in flat grey top. The Zephyr is a great platform but Id love to try my hand at making my own airplane, and no better plane to make than another high lift utilitarian payload carrying platform!
Feb 12, 2010, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99
It all depends on the type of flying you want to do. I Suspect a glider type plane is always a good choice for FPV.

I would suggest you kinda copy a multiplex wing profile such as easy glider ,cularis,or easy star.
These planes fly really well so there is no need to reinvent the wheel

then you can use http://www.profili2.com/eng/default.htm to edit the profile which looks the closest to it, print it, cut the templates and give them to your friend.

Sounds like a plan to me
perfect! thanks.
This will be a high lift design. I like the clark Y as well
Feb 12, 2010, 03:35 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
ClarkeY is the easiest uncomplicated airfoil. I use it all the time ...
One moe thing I would suggest. Don't forget to include a 2-3 degree wash out at the wing tips, particularly if the chord is smaller at the tips .

It will prevent tip stalling !

Here are my credentials

useful plane packed with fun toys !

Feb 12, 2010, 04:26 PM
Engineer for Christ
Nice plane RCmonster. Looks alot like my Scout FPV. ClarkY also
Feb 12, 2010, 06:56 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Thanks IBcrazy.
this one is powered by an IC engine SC.46 and has 2.8m wingspan. I like the concept of your undecarriage though .Still waiting for the maiden on yours
Feb 12, 2010, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
After talking w/ the guy who's going to be making the wing for me, I decided on the MH 45 airfoil.

Now I need to come up with the root chord and a final wingspan and we will get this baby cut. He's also going to install a wing spar
Feb 12, 2010, 09:25 PM
Engineer for Christ
That's a good pattern airfoil. It will give moderate lift and a wide speed envelope. What percentage are you using? 9%?

Keep in mind your aspect ratio. I prefer to keep my wingspan to central chord ratio around 5:1. Lower aspect ratios are loftier, higher aspect ratios have less drag and feel "slicker". For an 80" wing, you might opt for 6:1 if not tapering it.
Feb 12, 2010, 09:27 PM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99
Thanks IBcrazy.
this one is powered by an IC engine SC.46 and has 2.8m wingspan. I like the concept of your undecarriage though .Still waiting for the maiden on yours
Mine has yet to be fully completed. I'm waiting on an 8 channel receiver. I know it looks odd... I tire of conventional aircraft anymore
Feb 12, 2010, 09:34 PM
Thread OP
Im thinking about a 13" root chord, no taper.
90" wing.

Im new to this. What do you mean by wing percentage of 9%?
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Feb 13, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
Feb 12, 2010, 09:49 PM
Engineer for Christ
That refers to the thickness of the airfoil in reference to it's chord. Lower percentages mean faster speeds and less lift. MH airfoils usually do well between 7 and 10%.

Quick Reply