Feb 10, 2010, 01:29 PM
3DHS 'native'
Thread OP
Question

Fume extractor out there?

I build ALOT. I have been looking for a fume extractor for the hobby room and cant seem to find anything.

Any ideas?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2010, 01:49 PM
There was a guy at the Toledo show last year selling something called the "marriage saver". It was a sheet metal hood that was palced over your workspace with a fan and some sort of carbon filter that alomost looked like a furnace filter. He had it rigged up to vent out a basement window.

If one was industrious enough they could probably fabricate something like that themselves.
Feb 10, 2010, 02:10 PM
3DHS 'native'
Thread OP
That is about what I am looking for. Maybe out of blu core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifax
There was a guy at the Toledo show last year selling something called the "marriage saver". It was a sheet metal hood that was palced over your workspace with a fan and some sort of carbon filter that alomost looked like a furnace filter. He had it rigged up to vent out a basement window.

If one was industrious enough they could probably fabricate something like that themselves.
Feb 10, 2010, 02:21 PM
I put a dryer vent in my shop high on the wall. Then ran the 4"flex duct overhead and down to my bench. Mounted a muffen fan on the end and then set it on my bench where I need it. Sucks up dust and CA very well. Cheap too. Powered the ex-computer power supply fan with a wall wart power supply.
Feb 10, 2010, 08:42 PM
You can buy a cheap range hood for over your bench from H/D, a 3 x 10 to round adapter and pipe it out a window..............
Feb 10, 2010, 11:09 PM
3DHS 'native'
Thread OP
I have been thinking of upgrading the range hood in the kitchen and using the old one. I did not think of using pipe to a window

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredlawndart
You can buy a cheap range hood for over your bench from H/D, a 3 x 10 to round adapter and pipe it out a window..............
Feb 21, 2020, 09:36 AM
are you talking soldering fumes or glues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed
I build ALOT. I have been looking for a fume extractor for the hobby room and cant seem to find anything.

Any ideas?
Feb 21, 2020, 12:06 PM
this company has the best of the best for all different type of filtration.
i keep mine on work table. mounted it on casters so i can move it up close to my work...
https://www.iqair.com/room-air-purifiers/gc-multigas
not cheap though
Feb 22, 2020, 06:37 PM
this works good for a soldering station. or you can pull the hose off the pvc pipe and set it close to what you are gluing...
thats a stanley fan. exhausting outside
Feb 24, 2020, 08:46 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
When we put in the new kitchen, I managed to salvage the old extractor hood. It was a bit clunky and old fashioned under cabinet kind of a thing, but still worked perfectly, and was actually quite effective.
Turns out the model in case was easy to take apart, so I removed the filter assembly (A plastic frame with some sort of fiber wadding, which I discarded), the most greasy internal metal surfaces and the fan rotor itself and put it all in the dishwasher, manually scrubbed down the remaining box where possible without getting water into motor and wiring, and finally assembled the whole thing with some layers of fresh cheap wadding I got from a local fabric store. Hung it upright in my little workshop next to the surface I usually use my airbrush at and connected the exhaust hose to the outside. On the cheap, but actually works just fine.

Just a cheapo alternative for the less fortunate ones.

The most brilliant home made fume extractor setup I have seen was built by a guy who built large scale aircraft and needed something approaching an actual painting booth for lacquering etc.
He basically built a worktable sized wooden box from cheap boards, about 2 foot deep with legs, caulked up all the seams and put a well supported perforated masonite sheet across the top, except for about 1 ft of one of the ends, which was topped with the same cheap boards and caulked. He then built a removable frame box that slid down vertically between the end box and the box with perforated, made to hold a suitable thickness of fiber wadding. Finally he connected an outside extraction fan to the end box. Perfect for all kinds of work, as any fumes are drawn directly down into the work surface in stead of up past both the work piece and your face. His table was about 1 yards wide and maybe 3 yards long and hence did require a sizable fan though. Might be possible to do a smaller version with a box type kitchen extractor hood as end box, though (I just don't have the room to dedicate for it myself.)
Last edited by DKChris; Feb 24, 2020 at 09:16 AM.
Feb 24, 2020, 10:23 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I like that second one. Is the flex tubing sufficiently stiff to hold the funnel where you put it in free air? IE, hovering above the work.

Is it effective also on CA fumes?

How often does the filter need replacement?
Feb 27, 2020, 11:14 AM
Space Coast USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard line

How often does the filter need replacement?
How many fumes do you make?

Cheap, but ugly way to do it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fellowes-...ll&athena=true

Put in back or in front of this https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...ll&athena=true
Last edited by hoppy; Feb 27, 2020 at 11:21 AM.
Feb 27, 2020, 11:33 AM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
How many fumes do you make?
Sure. Obviously pattern of use is a factor. But my question was more general. Do activated carbon filters typically require frequent replacement -- assuming they're being used? Or is it more common for them to be effective for years? Not looking for a precise estimate...just a generality.

I'm guessing it's hard to know when a filter is losing effectiveness, so perhaps you just have to follow a schedule.

Quick Reply