Dec 22, 2011, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa4geg
Interesting that you use the term "dissect". Peeling back the side grips is a bit of a hassle, and can easily mess up the double sided mounting tape.

Using a new (very sharp) #11 X-acto blade, and carefully following the side case seams (straight edge is handy) I carefully cut through the rubber side grips. Carefully, as in not allowing the cutting depth to exceed about 1/16".

The back can now be easily removed from my DX8, and the precision cuts in the side grips look "factory". Oh, I also put some upper rear panel left/right corner screw access holes in the back grips so that there is no longer any need to peel them away to remove the back cover.
But Why?
For what reason do we the end user need to open the TX?
Brian T.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2011, 02:42 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRellic
But Why?
Brian T.
maybe to change an antenna? or to retrieve the small rubber covers that were accidentally pressed in?? or to just clean the potentiometer instead of waiting for a send and return from Spek and go back flying??? it's not that hard to do these things you know.
Dec 22, 2011, 04:19 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRellic
But Why?
Brian T.
I put lube on my sticky throttle.

VP
Dec 22, 2011, 05:07 PM
EDF Junkie
Quote:
Interesting that you use the term "dissect". Peeling back the side grips is a bit of a hassle, and can easily mess up the double sided mounting tape.

Using a new (very sharp) #11 X-acto blade, and carefully following the side case seams (straight edge is handy) I carefully cut through the rubber side grips. Carefully, as in not allowing the cutting depth to exceed about 1/16".

The back can now be easily removed from my DX8, and the precision cuts in the side grips look "factory". Oh, I also put some upper rear panel left/right corner screw access holes in the back grips so that there is no longer any need to peel them away to remove the back cover.
That's a lot of good work. I just put mine in the freezer for 5 minutes. The cold makes the glue less sticky and the grips are easily removed. Then when you're done doing whatever caused you to open the transmitter the glue has warmed up and the grips stick right back on.
Last edited by NwRcFlight; Dec 22, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Dec 22, 2011, 05:39 PM
Byron C
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwRcFlight
That's a lot of good work. I just put mine in the freezer for 5 minutes. The cold makes the glue less sticky and the grips are easily removed. Then when you're done doing whatever caused you to open the transmitter the glue has warmed up and the grips stick right back on.
Excellent approach. Electronics servicing (ham radio gear) is my business, so I've got this incurable habit of periodically going into all my equipment (including R/C stuff) to perform preventative maintenance. One is that of "exercising" all those wiring harness "quick connects" (plugs-n-sockets) every once in a while as an aid to maintaining optimum electrical continuity. A bit of de-Ox works wonders too.
Dec 22, 2011, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete
I put lube on my sticky throttle.

VP
Dec 22, 2011, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the reasoning and explanations on opening a TX.
As a Gas powered builder/flier electrics and electronics are not in my skill level. Opening my TX would be like pulling the door panels off my new truck to see why my horn isn't working.

Merry Christmas to everybody and hopefully everybody's New Years Day flights whether indoors or at your clubs cook out are safe and fun.

Brian T.
Dec 22, 2011, 07:28 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Excellent approach. Electronics servicing (ham radio gear) is my business, so I've got this incurable habit of periodically going into all my equipment (including R/C stuff) to perform preventative maintenance. One is that of "exercising" all those wiring harness "quick connects" (plugs-n-sockets) every once in a while as an aid to maintaining optimum electrical continuity. A bit of de-Ox works wonders too.
I have an electronics repair business also and I share your "Affliction"! I have a recording studio with hundreds of stationary 1/4", RCA, and XLR connectors that also need "Exercising". I use DeoxIT on all my connections. I find these 2 applicators the best, no waste. http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1...2&category=188
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1...2&category=292

VP
Dec 22, 2011, 07:46 PM
Byron C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete
I have an electronics repair business also and I share your "Affliction"! I have a recording studio with hundreds of stationary 1/4", RCA, and XLR connectors that also need "Exercising". I use DeoxIT on all my connections. I find these 2 applicators the best, no waste. http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1...2&category=188
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1...2&category=292

VP
I've been using this stuff (Corrosion Block) for coming up on 20 years now (more product for the money than DeoxIT). It's very good for switch contacts, potentiometers, connectors.., anything electro-mechanical:

http://www.sportfishhawaii.com/html/corrosionbl.htm
Dec 22, 2011, 08:26 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
I've been using this stuff (Corrosion Block) for coming up on 20 years now (more product for the money than DeoxIT). It's very good for switch contacts, potentiometers, connectors.., anything electro-mechanical:

http://www.sportfishhawaii.com/html/corrosionbl.htm
Yes DeoxIt is expensive, thanks for the link, I will try some of this.

VP
Dec 23, 2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach
hahahahahaha
Dec 25, 2011, 05:01 AM

DX8 Back From Gimbal Recall

All appeared to be good, included a new parkflyer rx. The monitor showed everything to move as advertised ..... so off I set to the flying field. But 'Oh Dear' would not bind to the rx and my telemetry unit is inside my heli and not accessible and no tools with me. Dashed back home rebound ...... back to field and she flew just great. Nice to have a working tx back again!! Just need to remember to bind my other models. Would not have been impressed if I had gone up a big hillside with my slope soarer
Dec 25, 2011, 07:03 AM
@Andy: I have a question regarding flight log data: I think this data is shown as long as the TX receives it. But there is no possibility to show the last values ? That would be a nice feature, because when crashing a plane it yould be helpful to see if you had a hold or many frame losses. Like the min/max screen for the rest...
Dec 25, 2011, 09:56 AM
I don't get what you mean.

The data displayed for Flight Log is the last received data. You can go back and forth using the roller between screens as much as you want, even if you power down the airplane. This works until you power down the transmitter or change models, because that causes a reset to the telemetry subsystem in the transmitter.

Andy
Dec 25, 2011, 12:09 PM
Okay, forget about it. Just thought it would be, but of course you are right, you see the data all the time. Never mind

And happy holidays !

Quick Reply