Spektrum DX8 & DX10 - Page 729 - RC Groups
Sep 01, 2011, 11:36 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamieFlying
..... So I basically gave up on that one and just continue to charge it by removing the battery and plugging it into the DX7's receiver charger.
Some 6000 posts ago and couple times more here and there.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=4385 link contains the pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
You can use a servo extension and remove the protective shroud around the end pins to expose them. Its the correct pin spacing to fit the battery connector. you just need to double check the polarity but my charger also reminds me if the polarity is wrong.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 01, 2011, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000
RCModelReviews
Review: Spektrum DX8 and DSMX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQKoXpj-FeI
Nice to see a review touching on some of the more important things. Tired of seeing stupid people doing un-boxing vids only regurgitating issues that they have read about on the web. I made the switch to a DX8 and love the crap out of it.
Sep 01, 2011, 11:41 AM
Never understood the big deal with not having the sliders but the way HE puts it in the video now makes me wish I had them.
Sep 01, 2011, 11:58 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Never understood the big deal with not having the sliders but the way HE puts it in the video now makes me wish I had them.

Me too, I am always fumbling with my Flap and F-Mode switch while trying to do my base leg.
VP
Sep 01, 2011, 12:06 PM
I hate the post office..
Quote:
Some 6000 posts ago and couple times more here and there.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=4385 link contains the pictures.
Yeah, 6000 posts is a bit much for me to fish through for an answer, lol.
But I like your servo extension method.
Sep 01, 2011, 12:07 PM
You don't have to fish threw the 10 thousand post when you use the search thread option.
Sep 01, 2011, 01:10 PM
I hate the post office..
Quote:
You don't have to fish threw the 10 thousand post when you use the search thread option.
Almost every time I use the search feature, I seem to get thrown into completely irrelevant threads and topics... must just be my luck lol
Sep 01, 2011, 01:21 PM
Once you are in the thread and use the search option it will search for in that thread only. So you don't have to read all 10900 post but just the ones that pop in in the search but still in the same thread but anyways.

People eventualy get there answers regardless if they search for it or not.
Sep 01, 2011, 01:24 PM
Quote:
He also said he changes the flaps while landing, and uses them for gear ... Gear on a slider?! Be real! And you NEVER touch the flaps, you fly what you set!

If you put them on F-Mode you're way ahead - they work properly and you don't have to "reach" for the switch.

Andy
Sep 01, 2011, 01:30 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
He also said he changes the flaps while landing, and uses them for gear ... Gear on a slider?! Be real! And you NEVER touch the flaps, you fly what you set!

If you put them on F-Mode you're way ahead - they work properly and you don't have to "reach" for the switch.

Andy
He made a good point. I believe the DX10T has buttons on the sticks, can you elaborate please?
VP
Sep 01, 2011, 01:47 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:

Andy
Well NEVER is a long time. I think people use them how they see fit, it is not about "getting real", if he preferes them then he prefers them. There must be enough uses for them that other radios have them. Don't dismiss stuff offhand because the DX8 doesn't have them.

He said the DX8 wasa good radio, just not one he would buy due to the button layout.
Sep 01, 2011, 01:50 PM
Quote:
...Be real! And you NEVER touch the flaps, you fly what you set!....
Easy buddy easy, you are assuming I ment to have them for flaps on my plane with normal flap. Heck I don't recall saying FLAP. The idea of having them on the side now appeals to me more now that I understand what or why those that have them use them for what ever. Now appeals to me.

Kind like the guys at my hobby shop knocking down telemetry to being just another useless gadget to take you eyes off the plane. But up until one of them got one and started using it and seeing its benefits they simply did not understand.

Same here.

I guess when he says horizon/spektrum don't like him he was right.
Last edited by freechip; Sep 01, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Sep 01, 2011, 02:16 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Easy buddy easy, you are assuming I ment to have them for flaps on my plane with normal flap. Heck I don't recall saying FLAP. The idea of having them on the side now appeals to me more now that I understand what or why those that have them use them for what ever. Now appeals to me.

Kind like the guys at my hobby shop knocking down telemetry to being just another useless gadget to take you eyes off the plane. But up until one of them got one and started using it and seeing its benefits they simply did not understand.

Same here.
Kind of like "Trim Display Etiquette"!
VP
Sep 01, 2011, 03:13 PM
Retired US Navy
The reason I bought the 9503 over the DX8 was soley the side sliders, I fly sail planes with crow and I want easily changable variable settings while I land.
Sep 01, 2011, 03:21 PM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat
Huh? With flaperons there is a flap surface. The DX8 gives me one default ELV>FLP mix, so it knows there are flaps and I can assign flap positions......
Still wrong.

Flaperon does not have a flap surface, it has a flap function. The P-mix outputs are to servos. There is no servo named "flap" because there is no flap surface.

This is where the power of back mixing comes into play. You want a P-Mix of elevator to flap action on the ailerons? Mix ELE > LAL.
Thank you for the workaround.

I grant you that there is no separate physical flap surface. Call them software flaps/spoilers, which mimic the flap functions on RC radios, and are controlled by the flap settings. Theses software flaps, aka flaperons/spoilerons move both wing control surfaces in the same planer direction.

I state this not to be argumentative, but in hopes that you / Specktrum see how confusing the inconsistent current terminology is, and fix it to follow what AFAIK is or has become industry standard in the RC world and present a much more straight forward approach.

With the wing type "Flaperon"
One has a pre-programed ELE>FLP mix that mixes mimicked flap movement to elevator movement.
For additional mixes there is an ELE>LAL mix that also mixes mimicked flap movement to elevator movement (ELE>FLP would follow the pre-programmed mix, convention, and make more sense). And an ELE>RAL mix that mixes what would be considered normal aileron movement to elevator movement (ELE>AIL would follow convention and make more sense in this case).

I noticed that for 2 AIL 2 FLAPS Wing Type now the RAL or RFL move both surfaces in the same planer direction, like flaperons/spoilerons, which is opposite of the Dual Aileron and Flaperon settings which use the Left side. The pre-programmed ELE>FLP mix in this wing type moves the flaps in opposite planer directions which would cause a roll!

One would need to try various options and take guesses to figure out the programming, or rely on forums like this for something that should be pretty straight forward. It appears and I would assume the display code, UI, is separate from the controls code since there are different languages available, so terminology should not be too difficult to change. The Left and Right issues, I'm not s sure.

I found no real difference between Dual Aileron and Flaperon modes other than the availability of the flaps of the Flap System screen and the pre-programmed ELE>Flap mix. I did find it strange that the Flap Switch warning still worked.

I understand that for planes (often sailplanes) with 4 individual wing servos, things can become more complicated. Of the top of my head would propose the following:

2 AIL 2 FLAPS Wing Type:

SPL = Outer control surface in the same planer direction
AIL = Outer control surface in opposite planer directions
FLP = Inner control surface in the same planer direction
IAL = Inner control surface in opposite planer directions

(IAL is the only acronym I am not sure about since it could be seen as a dyslexic AIL, maybe IAN, ILN, or ICS might be better)

Flaperon Wing Type:
FLP = Inner control surface in the same planer direction
AIL = Outer control surface in opposite planer directions

I assume, since the Flap System and pre-programmed ELE-FLP max changes bewteen outer and inner control surfaces that one would be able to keep the FLP designation on the screen.

A little mix programming worksheet pdf could address the programming definitions and functions, and maybe a few setups. Regardless I think having to create a sheet like that, and getting feedback from novice to advanced users would benefit the programming and help create a clearer, consistent and more logical picture for all.

Quote:
Quote:
pkquat
It was changed in Ver 1.02. Controlling it from the Flap System screen would make sense. However on the Switch Select screen the Flap should be Inh by default for Wing Types with Flaps. Right now it defaults to "Flaps".
It was necessary to maintain compatibility. No bug, no oversight. Backwards compatibility.
???? While I don't know all the specifics of the DX8 firmware code, other sections appear to change settings to Inh if they are no longer available. I could also see as part of backwards compatibility that a hidden option was still available to display previous model settings that were no longer available (though I think this could be a little confusing and misleading), but having it show up as a default on a new model created under the current firmware version when it is not really available does not make sense.

Quote:
Quote:
pkquat
I'll also have to see how I got the Aux1 to show up as an option on some switches even when the Wing Type was not set to Normal. There may have been leftover settings when a Wing Type was changed that created some confusion.
That's OK. If you assign a switch to an "unused" channel, and have a wing type that wants to use the channel, it will ignore the switch assignment during channel processing.

Andy
So it will show me it is doing one thing while doing another? I go back to, it appears some screens do change / update accordingly, and leaving the wrong information is misleading and confusing. If after channel processing the screen gets changed, that is far from preferred, but acceptable. The steps should then be noted to initiate channel processing after certain changes, and all (certain?) settings should be reviewed afterwards.

Again, I bring this up not to be argumentative, but in hopes that you / Specktrum see how confusing and inconsistent certain things are, and fix them.

I also invite others to comment if my understanding or logic is off in anyway in hopes that a better solution for all is reached. This is a "group" forum, and while I feel I have a good grasp of things, that is only my opinion, and I do admit that I am not an "expert" on all the different radio systems, RC terminology, types of planes and helis, etc.

Quick Reply