Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
Thread Tools
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:11 PM
ClosedAccount is offline
Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Closed Account
I wasn't trying to convince you of anything, I was just making conversation. You can believe in whatever you want.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:20 PM
Victory Pete is offline
Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcnally View Post
I wasn't trying to convince you of anything, I was just making conversation. You can believe in whatever you want.
I just like to be cautious. (and safe)

VP
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:42 PM
JC Spohr is offline
Find More Posts by JC Spohr
3D Hack
JC Spohr's Avatar
Hey Andy,

Here's something I am pondering...

I see people who add heat shrink tubing to their antennas to hold them straight and in place.

Since heat shrink is an insulation with some dielectric strength, does it have a negative impact on reception?

Thanks,

JC
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:52 PM
AndyKunz is online now
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
AndyKunz's Avatar
So far it hasn't affected mine any. What about all the polymers in foam?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:41 PM
aerocal is offline
Find More Posts by aerocal
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I just like to be cautious. (and safe)

VP
Tin foil hat?
Sorry I couldnt resist.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:47 PM
aerocal is offline
Find More Posts by aerocal
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Hey Andy,

Here's something I am pondering...

I see people who add heat shrink tubing to their antennas to hold them straight and in place.

Since heat shrink is an insulation with some dielectric strength, does it have a negative impact on reception?

Thanks,

JC
I have heat shrink on some of mine still.Did a bit of testing with and without.
No difference whatsoever in Flightlog data so Id say its RF transparent.I was always afraid to put enough heat on it to make is stay on well enough and had a few fall off over time.I now mostly prefer Robart air line.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:36 PM
socommk23 is offline
Find More Posts by socommk23
always looking for clouds
socommk23's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
What AirWare version are you using? 2.04 is the most current version.


This was implemented in 2.03, you maybe still running on 2.02 or earlier.
I havent a clue.......not looked into any updates for the tx. Kinda forgot that was even a possibility.

Now.....how do i do it?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:00 PM
JC Spohr is offline
Find More Posts by JC Spohr
3D Hack
JC Spohr's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
I have heat shrink on some of mine still.Did a bit of testing with and without.
No difference whatsoever in Flightlog data so Id say its RF transparent.I was always afraid to put enough heat on it to make is stay on well enough and had a few fall off over time.I now mostly prefer Robart air line.
Thank you!

Does the robart line push on and stay on?

JC
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:08 PM
grumpy42 is offline
Find More Posts by grumpy42
Registered User
grumpy42's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The range is not a huge decrease, even though the power is only half. That's because power is related to the cube of the distance - think of it as the volume of space filled with signal. The range is still way farther than you can see a model.

Andy
Actually, radio signals are attenuated with the square of the distance (i.e. doubling the range requires 4x the power). Think of it as the surface of an expanding sphere (the signal does not "fill" the sphere").
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:09 PM
grumpy42 is offline
Find More Posts by grumpy42
Registered User
grumpy42's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
I havent a clue.......not looked into any updates for the tx. Kinda forgot that was even a possibility.

Now.....how do i do it?
The version number is displayed on the third page of the system settings.

Hold down the scroll wheel while turning on the radio and scroll down to "system settings".

Ooops... I just thought the poster wanted to know how to check their current firmware version. What freechip said below.
Last edited by grumpy42; Apr 25, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:13 PM
freechip is offline
Find More Posts by freechip
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
I havent a clue.......not looked into any updates for the tx. Kinda forgot that was even a possibility.

Now.....how do i do it?
go here https://community.spektrumrc.com/ and register your radio. Then download update onto SD card and update radio. Then you will be able to adjust the rx bar graph.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:13 PM
MartinT is offline
Find More Posts by MartinT
Registered User
MartinT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
...I see people who add heat shrink tubing to their antennas to hold them straight and in place....
That makes no sense to me, I thought that due to the radiation pattern of the antenna you don't want to be "pointing" it to the receiver, (cause out of the top of the antenna is where the least signal strength is coming from) but with a straight antenna that's just what you are doing... (that is if your body is following the movement of the plane.) (unless like some of the "youthful" guys who seem to have made a silent agreement to hold the TX vertical against the body with the antenna pointing straight down... )

So what's the verdict on that then? (the way I point my antennas is 90 degrees to the side how's that?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:14 PM
freechip is offline
Find More Posts by freechip
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
freechip's Avatar
What ever way works for you as long as you are not pointing directly at the model.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:26 PM
pilotpete2 is online now
Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Registered User
pilotpete2's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
That makes no sense to me, I thought that due to the radiation pattern of the antenna you don't want to be "pointing" it to the receiver, (cause out of the top of the antenna is where the least signal strength is coming from) but with a straight antenna that's just what you are doing... (that is if your body is following the movement of the plane.) (unless like some of the "youthful" guys who seem to have made a silent agreement to hold the TX vertical against the body with the antenna pointing straight down... )

So what's the verdict on that then? (the way I point my antennas is 90 degrees to the side how's that?
Works for me
My thought was that he was referring to the receiver antenna wires in this case, though I do believe I've heard of some folks using heat shrink tubing to fix a broken knuckle joint on the transmitter.
Pete
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:44 PM
MartinT is offline
Find More Posts by MartinT
Registered User
MartinT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Works for me
My thought was that he was referring to the receiver antenna wires in this case, though I do believe I've heard of some folks using heat shrink tubing to fix a broken knuckle joint on the transmitter.
Pete
Hmm, yeah he probably IS talking about the receiver antennae, Since he's referring to reception range... I thought it had something to do with a broken knuckle (like the movable joint) of the antenna as well...my bad...


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Receivers that work with Spektrum Radios that are not made by Spektrum BD Flyer Radios 29 Sep 26, 2010 05:09 AM
Discussion Spektrum AR6100E or Spektrum AR6100? LaurenceGough Off-road Cars 23 Aug 06, 2009 06:33 AM
For Sale Parkzone 5ch DX10 w/Receiver ch54 CarlHill Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 7 Jul 10, 2009 01:07 PM
Discussion Can I use a Spektrum Air RX with a Spektrum Surface TX? Bigmaxy Radios 1 Jan 19, 2008 08:57 PM
Sold GeForce 8400Gs PCIx DX10 video card GFBurke Non R/C Items (FS/W) 6 Sep 05, 2007 11:43 PM