Apr 05, 2012, 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt
Protection is in the Spectrum pack, user had the HK pack, no protection. Clearly issue not owned by Spectrum. LIPO 101, be smarter than the pack.
Once again, for clarity, the decision Spektrum took means you have to depend on the pack to protect itself, if the pack doesn't or the protection does not work then yes, obviously it is not a Spektrum fault.

From a design perspective I prefer the route Hitec have taken in this regard, but as long as the pack can take care of itself the Spektrum route is fine.

The odd thing is the HobbyKing packs do claim to include the necessary protection so something didn't go as planned ...
to remove ads between posts
Apr 05, 2012, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk
"The Turnigy DX8 Intelligent Transmitter Pack also features a built in voltage protection circuit, this circuit will automatically cutoff once the pack drops to 2.85v per cell ensuring the battery will not be damaged if you accidentally leave your transmitter switched on. The voltage protection circuit will also restrict charging to 4.2v per cell ensuring the pack can never be over charged."
Then should this Turnigy LiPo not puffing, but it puffed.
Apr 05, 2012, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin
From a design perspective I prefer the route Hitec have taken in this regard, but as long as the pack can take care of itself the Spektrum route is fine.

The odd thing is the HobbyKing packs do claim to include the necessary protection so something didn't go as planned ...
So the Hitec has an inbuild balancer?

The odd thing is that what HK claim should be a Spektrum error.
Apr 05, 2012, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambalunga
So the Hitec has an inbuild balancer?
Not the balancer, but low voltage cut-off protection.

In the case of a Lipo in a Hitec I'd be charging the pack directly so would use its own balance wires.

Charging a lipo in these devices is not something you need to do all that often of course
Apr 05, 2012, 11:07 AM
But without a balancer can be one cell long dead before you hit the low voltage cut-off protection. Then charging a LiPo without a balancer is hazardous.
Last edited by Kambalunga; Apr 05, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Apr 05, 2012, 11:12 AM
Quote:
But without balancer can one cell long dead before you hit the low voltage cut-off protection. Then charging a LiPo without a balancer is hazardous.
As I said, I would not be charging the lipo through the radio, I would be using its own balance wires, so the risk is eliminated.

I'm also not clear that the Spektrum 'balancer' offers any ability to balance during discharge, but with the extremely low current drawn by the radio this is not likely to be an issue unless you set the cut-off voltage way too low.
Apr 05, 2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Then should this Turnigy LiPo not puffing, but it puffed.
No it shouldn't, but I guess with most things in life.. There is the odd one that may have a problem.. And I say may as who really know what he did??
Apr 05, 2012, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
I have ordered many stuff from HK that did not work right. I still order from them.
I'm same as you!!
I've been using them for a couple of years and from my experience I'd say about 90% of stuff I've brought has been fine.. The other 10% well, I look at it that I've saved over what the same stuff would have cost me and except it is the way it is. Although will great on me a day or 2 at the time.
Apr 05, 2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk
Maybe you should read this! (personally to low should be 3~3.3v but none the less, and no I don't own one as the Standard NiMah pack is just fine and dandy!)

"The Turnigy DX8 Intelligent Transmitter Pack also features a built in voltage protection circuit, this circuit will automatically cutoff once the pack drops to 2.85v per cell ensuring the battery will not be damaged if you accidentally leave your transmitter switched on. The voltage protection circuit will also restrict charging to 4.2v per cell ensuring the pack can never be over charged."
Since the pack is screwed, we are going to disect it to see if a chip of some sort is present. It still has a charge of 7.8v.
Apr 05, 2012, 12:48 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
Pictures of the disected pack would be very interesting to see..
Apr 05, 2012, 01:17 PM
3D for Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
Pictures of the disected pack would be very interesting to see..
+1

Yup, let's see what's inside...

JC
Apr 05, 2012, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten
Since the pack is screwed, we are going to disect it to see if a chip of some sort is present. It still has a charge of 7.8v.
Your going to be looking for something like this I would imagine, this version is for a single lipo but I'm sure a 2s is very similar...
Apr 05, 2012, 02:17 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
Thanks all for the charging advice... seems a bit primitive in this day and age (and a step back from my Dx7), but I can always get the HobbyCity Lipo I suppose....

Happy Flying....
Apr 05, 2012, 02:23 PM
I have the DX8 with the Turnigy LiPo pack. I charged it a couple of months ago and still I am not close to a voltage where I need to recharge.

I have been using 3cell LiPos with my two 9303's, for 4 years. I take them out of the Tx to charge on my FMA 10S charger. I have never had an issue.
Apr 05, 2012, 03:24 PM
FPV'r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber
I have the DX8 with the Turnigy LiPo pack. I charged it a couple of months ago and still I am not close to a voltage where I need to recharge.

I have been using 3cell LiPos with my two 9303's, for 4 years. I take them out of the Tx to charge on my FMA 10S charger. I have never had an issue.
when I 1st charged and used HK LiPo it lasted a long time. About a month but then I recharged it and it recharged in about 3 hours...that is not correct.
It is now droping much faster...it still lasts longer than the NiMh but not as long as it should.I have to look deeper into it.

Quick Reply