Sep 23, 2001, 09:18 AM
Thread OP

Aero(jet) Commander

Last year I scratch built a Gus Morfis Aero Commander with twin S400's. Nice flying plane once I got the ESC problems sorted out. Then disaster struck and the wing was badly damaged. The original wing was about 280 sq.in.

Now I'm building a new 10% Clark Y with 15% swept back LE, straight TE, 1" per side dihedral and 365 sq.in. I added area by increasing the root and tip chords and increasing the WS from 42.5" to 49". The MAC is about 8.7". I will be using two EDF400's mounted under the wings for power.

With one eye closed, at 30 MPH at 250 feet, one might be able to envision an S3A VIKING. All up weight will be about 32 oz. with a 7x2400 pack.

So my question is this.

What is the best way to determine a good starting point for the COG? The spars are not perpendicular to the fuse but are parallel to the leading edge.

Thanks in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2001, 07:41 PM
Speed Demon
Use your MAC as the measuring spot and start at 25%-30% back from the LE. It shouldn't be to far off from the original wings CG.
Sep 28, 2001, 10:39 PM
D.G.B.
In october2001 model avation magazine there is a good artical on how to fine the true c.g. stefanP
Sep 29, 2001, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
That article will only determine where the CoG is, not where it should be.

I did find an article in the April 2001 issue of EFI.

Using that method, I determined the theoretical CoG was 2.28" back from the leading edge, on the MAC.

With a MAC of 8.603", this is 26%

Sound familiar, Greg C?

Quick Reply