SBSS Community & Education Outreach Program - RC Groups
Feb 08, 2010, 01:09 AM
Discussion

SBSS Community & Education Outreach Program

SBSS's eduational outreach program promotes model aviation as a technical education tool to promote and encourage studies of the physical sciences and technology. With classroom presentations, we build and fly model gliders as well as giving them an opportunity to fly RC sailplanes outdoors if safe flying space is available. It's imperative that we, the model aviation community, give back to the community. And what better way tto give back han through education, knowledge sharing and teaching.

SBSS's ongoing challenge is maintaining present model aviation flying sites as well as establishing new ones. Flying sites, of course, are essential for our teaching program and recreational flying. Hopefully our outreach activities will establish the credibility to help find new as well as retain model sailplane and glider flying sites.

The attached file explains in detail the objective, vision and goals of the program, and 2009 outreach activities.

For further information and participation, contact Noel Eberhardt at neberhardt@sbcglobal.net.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2010, 12:19 PM

Daisy Child Development Center Outreach Presentation April 2

OUTREACH!
On Friday morning April 2 between 10:00 and noon we'll be making two one hour presentations to two groups of pre-schoolers, ages 3 to 5, 28 children in each group.

Each presentation will be one hour long where we'll (1) talk about different aircraft types and model aviation in the very simplest form, (2) pass out pre-folded paper airplanes to fly indoors, (3) pass out and fly pre-made FPG-9 (foam plate gliders) and (4) have a couple simple indoor "contests", distance and time. I've already made both planes we'll be handing out so there will be no classroom fabrication work.

I'd welcome two helpers to help the children adjust and fly their little planes and snap a few pictures. I'll be driving if anyone would like to ride with me. I plan on leaving Cupertino about 8:45AM and will pick up anyone caring to join me. Incidentally, after the presentation I plan on taking a brief ride to Pleasant Hill to deliver two Predator DLG's to George Hoolidge, a longtime SBSS member and supporter who now has limited driving ability. I'm taking this opportunity to meet George and visit his "hanger".

...for more info...
Daisy Child Development Center
Johana Barahona, Staff Supervisor
5016 Daisy St.
Oakland, CA 94619
www.daisycdc.com
(510) 532-16426[/INDENT]
Please let me know if you're interested in participating...
Noel Eberhardt
(650) 279-1216 cell
(408) 446-4487 res
neberhardt@sbcglobal.net
Apr 06, 2010, 03:09 PM

Daisy Child Development Center Outreach Presentation April 2

On Friday April 2nd on behalf of SBSS and model aviation I made two 1 hour presentations to two groups of twenty five 3-5 year olds. Yes, they're too young for RC, but I'm finding there's alwys a couple exceptionally bright younsters that I hope the parents will nurture the underlying interest. I gave them pre-folded paper airplanes with the "Nakamura Lock" and demonstrated the "magic of converting a plastic foam plate into a neat little glider that they took home. It was lots of fun, but I literally lost my voice by the end of the morning trying to speak over the bubbling energy and excitement

I'll post pictures when I get some. By the way, Daisy Child Development Center is on Daisy Street in the Oakland Hills near Hwy 580.

I then dorove to Pleasant Hill to meet George Hollige to deliver the two Predators he purchased on the group by. It was my first time to meet George and see his amazing indoor model plane workshop areas in the garage and basement.
Apr 20, 2010, 02:15 PM

Outreach report April 2010

Attached is an overview of our outreach related activities. Anyone interested in participating is wildly welcome!
Apr 20, 2010, 02:38 PM

Call for old model aviation magazines!

We can use your old model aviation mags for handouts (with an SBSS flyer attached) at the Hollister Airshow May 29 & 30.

Regarding Hollister Airshow...
Today I sent in SBSS registration to attend both days. I requested two (2) 10'x10' spaces and a table. I have a 10'x10' pop-up, a club banner, the club PC and simulator program. We will also need to bring the club generator and a fire extinguisher (2A:10BC).

Volunteers so far are John B, Bruce L and yours truly. We could use one or two more.
Apr 20, 2010, 02:46 PM
SOARMINDED

Sorry Can't

Noel,

I will be out of town that weekend. If you would like a LARGE scale plane to take let me know. Jerry
Jun 17, 2010, 07:32 PM

Hollister Air Show 2010

John B and I hosted SBSS at the Hollister Air Show. Surprisingly we kept busy both days (Memorial Day week end May 29 & 30) discussing RC sailplanes and passing out FPG-09 foam plate gliders. They had a nice display of WWII warbirds and quite a few Stearmans.

We had two new stands of 1" PVC with 1/2" threaded risers to hold our static display planes which were held in place with large rubber bands over the wings. Both stands were well weighted with heavy steel. During both days no planes lifted off or were damaged despite some really strong PM winds. Also, they were off the ground, didn't get stepped on and were at eye level for convenient viewing and demo.

Noel
Jun 23, 2010, 11:53 PM

2010 Wings of History Open House participation

Jerry Heimbecker and I were at the this year's WoH Open House, May 8, 2010. Jerry attended to the sailplane display out on the Tarmac while I spent the day in the hanger helping youth make and fly FPG-9 foam plate gliders. Jerry's scale planes with pilots always draw lots of attention and interest. Unfortunately, a stiff breeze in the PM lifted planes off the tarmac and blew my pop-up over badly bending the frame. This experience was the motivation for making new stands and using a 9' umbrella all heavily weighted for Hollister. Fortunately, the planes all survived.

We were adjacent the full-size glider group from Hollister, the same folks who gave a club meeting presentation a couple weeks prior. We had a mutual interest in each other's flying things!

Noel
Jun 24, 2010, 12:40 PM
High Lift Coefficient

Week With Wings at Leadership HS in Oakland

Moved post here per Noel's request
-----------------------------------------------

In case you missed this (Al Strahm may have posted this), check out slide show taken by Jeremy Sutton, the teacher, for his "Week With Wings". We, Jerry Heimbecker and I, representing SBSS there Mon May 17th (classroom) and Thurs May 21st for outdoor RC flying. SBEE donated a classroom packet of White Wings same design gliders for the students to learn balance & trim. They then flew the planes all week between other activities shown in the slide show.

From Jeremy Sutton: "Here is a slideshow of the entire week of my Week With Wings" :
LPS - College Park: Week With Wings (10 min 2 sec)

Noel
Sep 18, 2010, 11:59 AM

TFFK's Sat. Sept 25 @ Ried-Hillview Airport - Come on out!

What?
This is the 3rd Annual Take Flight For Kid's event and our 3rd participation. It's open to the public with a focuse on children with special needs. There'll be a couple hundred businesses and organizations participating. SBSS participates as part of our Community Outreach Program to promote model aviation and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) studies. Last year we received lots of attention with the FPG-9's and were mentioned in the SJ Mercury-News.

When?
Saturday, Sept 25th. Set up @ 7AM, event opens @ 9AM, teardown @ 4PM.

Where?

Ried-Hillview Airport with parking on Swift Avenue (it's the street parallel to Capital Expwy between Cunningham and Tulley). We'll probably be in the same location as last year, between the ball diamonds and hangers.

What's needed?
Volunteers, a camera and a few sailplanes. We need a Vista, a Scale Ship with a pilot, DLG, 2m and a "glass slipper". Volunteers so far are Bruce Lewis and Al Jones. Any and all help will be appreciated.

What I'm bringing...
Umbrella & stand, PC simulator, 3 stools, folding table, foam plate gliders to give away, two PVC display stands. I'll bring my Gentle Lady and Marauder if I can fit them in the car.

Thanks in adance for any & all support...
Noel Eberhardt
Sep 19, 2010, 07:38 PM
SOARMINDED

3Rd annual

Hi Club,

Well work has came into the way of me leaving Thurs. to go to Shasta to fly my scale ships so i will be at the 3rd annual this Sat till 3:00 pm with you all. I am sure I can bring a modlie and a scale ship or 5 Noel, I also have about 250 of the foam give away gliders and 3 flying pig gliders of all things to give away. I also have my EZ Up I will bring. I hope you bring your display stand? If no room i can swing by and pick it up from you this week to bring in my truck. LOVE THIS STUFF !!!!!!!!!!!
Jerry
Sep 21, 2010, 01:03 AM

Plane stands for TFFK's

Jerry,
I'll bring the display stands. No problem, they'll fit in the car or will put on roof rack. For occasions like this I always pull out the rear seat in my old Panzer Wagen. Am pleased you'll be able to make it. I'm getting everything together now.
Sep 22, 2010, 03:12 PM

TFFK's Sat. Sept 25 @ Ried-Hillview Airport - an update

This is an update from Dean McCully, TFFK's organizer...

Greetings all Take Flight Exhibitors!

WELCOME to the 3rd annual Take Flight for Kids at San Jose Reid Hillview Airport, Saturday September 25, 2010.

We are up to our earlobes in last minute details, but everything is converging VERY nicely. I just wanted to send a quick email to tell you that we are almost ready to send final vendor info, and please be patient as we scramble to get final details under control.

Basically..
We have nearly 5000 people signed up online already. Wow! Our experience is that we see 50%-100% more than signed up online, so this is going to be BIG!

We expect roughly 150 exhibitors and vendors. All amazing ones at that!

Eastridge Little League is handling all concessions and food/drinks.
They are selling burgers/hotdogs as a massive fundraiser for little league. So bring a little cash for food (it'll be GOOD STUFF!)

We will be at the airport on Friday from 10am-9pm for prelim setup. JOIN US if you want to, and pick a prime spot.

Loaner tents, tables, and chairs are VERY limited and will be on first-come/first-served basis. Please bring your own if you can, or if you absolutely must borrow from us, arrive early (we will run out).

Setup Saturday is from 7am-9am. The parking lot will be closed at 9am, so arrive early.

Parking is at Eastridge mall (about a mile away). Free parking, and FREE shuttle bus (bus ride is about 3 minutes).

Other than that, stand by for the final email in a day or two. Please be patient: we're scrambling like mad and will be slow to reply to questions. But ask questions if you have any, and I'll get 'em into the FAQs.

See you Saturday! This is going to be an AMAZING day!!!

Dean
Sep 24, 2010, 06:08 PM

TFFK Fri PM update

TFFK update…

Friday noon I was at Ried-Hillview and got essentially the same spot as last year. I installed a ground post for our 9’ umbrella and assembled two display stands that’ll hold a total of 7 planes. The stands have foam pad surfaces for the wings to rest on and I have LARGE rubber bands to hold the wings in place. These stands worked very well at Hollister with some really strong gusts with no damages.

Directions to Ried-Hillview: From 101 take the Tulley Rd exit EAST, proceed to Capital Expy (Eastridge will be on right and airport will be on left). Turn left, NORTH on Capital to Cunningham Ave, about ¼ mile down. Turn left, WEST, on Cunningham into the airport.

Parking: We’ve been requested to use Swift Ave. There will be parking at Eastridge Shopping Center with shuttle buses. I recommend getting there early to get a spot on Swift Ave or perhaps a VIP spot in the lot across the street from the BBQ. I don’t know if we’ll be able to get a spot in the parking lot adjacent our field. I’m planning on arriving by 7:00 to finish setting up and grab a decent parking spot.

Two Drop off points: One is from the parking lot near the “NASA Demos” text block. The second is on Swift Ave near the “BBQ” text block.

Drop off SBSS booth Drop off Parking
(sorry, my map didn't copy-n-paste)

I’m bringing my MiMi and Marauder, Marcin is bringing his Bird of Time, an electric glider, hopefully Bruce can bring a “glass slipper”, and I expect Jerry will bring a couple scale ships (hopefully one with a pilot doll. If someone has a Vista, please bring it as an example of a starter plane.

Noel
(650) 279-1216 cell