Mar 30, 2015, 04:45 PM
Have finished the install on the new centre panel, managed to get the flap geometry the same as the original wing (wasn't easy though!).

If my sums are right the wing loading hasn't changed at all, just the aspect ratio.

For reference my original wing is 613 grammes and the extended wing is 718 grammes, both FCL (Full Carbon Light) layup, 2 x Futaba S3172SV with frames and Tragi looms.

Weather doesn't look good this week but I'll report on the flight test soon.

GB
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2015, 11:05 AM
Managed to fly the big wing for the first time today, electro launch only.

Flying weight is 1,950 grammes against 1,850 grammes for the 801.

Handling seems to be much the same, possibly a little bit harder to fly accurately.

I needed three or four clicks of down trim compared to the memorised settings of the 801, it definitely needed to be flown faster, especially when thermalling. I have not checked the C of G as I expect it should not have moved, maybe I will!

The flap/elevator compensation for crow braking also seemed a little bit out, too much down elevator for a small amount of flap and not enough for full flap (it wants to stop dead in the air, undershooting the landing is easy!). Effect of the longer span flaps at a guess.

I think it will be better as a pure glider carrying some ballast, just a feeling that I need to confirm.

Not very scientific and I hope to do some better testing in completely still air but I overlayed two flight traces (from different days) and it appears to show the exact same climb rate on launch and an average sink rate of -0.9 m/s for the 801 and -0.65 m/s for the 802 (flaps in 'cruise').

Cheers

GB
Jul 29, 2015, 12:39 AM
Sherman Knight

looking to buy

Anyone have a 801 they want to sell? I am looking for something quick.

Thanks in advance. Please PM me on the side.

Sherman Knight
Team Horizon Hobby Sailpalne
Jul 29, 2015, 12:44 AM
Sherman Knight

looking to buy TRAGI 801 Cluster

Anybody have a Tragi 801 Cluster for sale? PM me on the side.

Thanks in advance

Sherman Knight
Team Horizon Hobby Sailplane
Sep 14, 2016, 06:18 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Fantastic thread Marc!

I realize this thread is old but I happened to be a very lucky guy and acquired a Tragi 801x Cluster! It is damaged, ever so slightly and I will repair it sooner than later.

I will be starting my own thread on the repairs and future use of this beautiful wing. I will post a link to it here once I get started.

So this thread took me about a week to read through as I have been busy with work and play. However, it is an emotional ride! It could be made into a movie short. I went from come on Marc finish the damn thing so I know what it weighs to oh boy what a great flying glider to almost shedding a tear when she met her demise.

I do not fly string launch as its not what we do in out locale with the advent of light electrics. I wanted this model to finish up my LSF SAP IV. I accomplished all the tasks in the 1990's except for the cross country. So my plan is to do that then take this wing and mate to my own electric pod/boom and tails. I realize the wing is way overbuilt for an electric but I estimate an all up flying weight of 70oz for my electric version.

Anyway, thanks for the great thread and I'll post the link to my repairs and new fuselage soon.

Oh, I nearly forgot.... This is one of the most enjoyable videos I have seen!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=639

Curtis
Montana