May 19, 2003, 08:11 PM
Thread OP

GWS Transmitters and Receivers - Good or Bad

I looking to buy a Transmitter and Receiver made GWS. Anyone have any luck or bad luck with their Tx and/or Rx. Let me know. I want to start building with their equipment, but unsure about the quality. $30.00 for Tx and $20.00 for Rx, the prices make me unsure. Let me know about the rest of GWS stuff too if you have had any luck/bad luck too.

Whitefeather.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2003, 08:36 PM
Here is a link to a thread on the Transmitter. There are also two links on the first page to other threads on the TX.

I don't have them, but the GWS Recievers have a good reputation on RCGroups.

Chris
May 19, 2003, 08:39 PM
Oh yeah,
here is a quote from the link:

GWS 4 channel (neg shift) $32 (allerc)
1900mah loose cells (8 total) $22.80 (allerc)
or 10 2000mah loose cells $19.95 (bydusa)
cheapo charger $5-10 ??
-------Total = $60-65 plus shipping -----------

Laser 4 Transmitter $54.95 (servo city)
includes tx, nicads, and charger
-------Total = $55 ---------------

---------------------------

Quote by BoleyWv

Chris
May 19, 2003, 09:20 PM
Coming from 10 years in helicopters to Parkflyers was a SHOCK! When looking through the prices, I was just drop jawed at the prices. I have servos that cost more than complete GWS flight packages. Anyway, I have 2 complete GWS setups and have had no trouble. Glitches,smokers ect.. I use the Lazer 6 FM but everything else is GWS. I guess Im programmed to think the more it cost the better it is but so far Im enjoying economical flying.
May 19, 2003, 09:23 PM
Who Says Penguins Can't Fly?
yes, all GWS on board equipment is really nice, but the transmitter, I hear, is crap. Where is the servo trim slide????????????? How abbout a lineal one, Mr, Lin!

-aeroP
May 19, 2003, 09:26 PM
Mark Imbriaco
The GWS Radio is functional, but if you're going to stay with the hobby it won't last you for long. If you're not sure whether you're going to stick it out or not, it might be worth it, but if you're pretty sure you'll be involved in it for a while it'd be worth it to buy a higher quality TX.

As far as the RX goes, I have 3 GWS R-4Ps that I haven't had any trouble with.
May 19, 2003, 10:06 PM
Permanently Banned

transmitter for free

here get this deal from hobby lobby, HTR971K Hitec Focus 3, with 555 Receiver, 2 HS-55 servos .......... $ 99.90

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/hitec.htm

you will get a 3 channel tx, 1 best known hitec 555 RX and 2 hitec 55 servos. Those 555 RX and 55 servos alone cost about $90. And the 3 channel Transmitter is almost free.
May 19, 2003, 10:16 PM
Good!

-Mike-
May 19, 2003, 10:23 PM
Let me mention that the GWS Transmitter is Excellent! I have a Nice Futaba Conquest 4-Channel Transmitter & althought the Futaba is tighter & better, the GWS Transmitter is a good deal for the Money. The main thing I like is that the GWS Transmitter has removable AA batteries, you can use Rechargeable or Alkaline, don't matter.
One important point is that the GWS is 4-Channel, whereas the Focus III FM is 3-Channel. The only thing I don't like is the stupid Grey color, EVERY Transmitter manufacturer makes their transmitters in the BLACK color or silver but NO GWS has to make theirs different & look more Toy Like, would it have killed them to make it black? (Sorry for the color Rant)

P.S. - The GWS R4-P R4-N & R6-N are Superb receivers, I ONLY use GWS Receivers.

-Mike-
May 20, 2003, 02:38 AM
Silent Flight

Re: GWS Transmitters and Receivers - Good or Bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Whitefeather
I looking to buy a Transmitter and Receiver made GWS. Anyone have any luck or bad luck with their Tx and/or Rx. Let me know. I want to start building with their equipment, but unsure about the quality. $30.00 for Tx and $20.00 for Rx, the prices make me unsure. Let me know about the rest of GWS stuff too if you have had any luck/bad luck too.

Whitefeather.
WF:

It's all subjective. It seems all the major players put out quality Tx's, and for the most part, Rx's. The complaints are related to what feature is "missing" and other things of a personal nature. Esp. with the Rx's, your flying location habits come into play.

As many do, I like the GWS Rx's. I sold two of mine (RP-4) though, because of too much interference surrounding the places I enjoy flying. I simply replaced them with Rx's that filtered out the "garbage" better in the situations at hand. On the other hand, I have an expensive Rx that takes hits at some of the fields, as well.

I love the GWS Pico BB Servos and have never had any trouble with their ESC's. GWS gearboxes serve their purpose and the motors are predictable, as are most of their planes (search around EZONE).

You are in good hands with GWS. If you will be flying at the same time with many others or your fields are subject to interference, you might go with a GWS (or other) dual conversion Rx, or one proven to filter out incoming trash. The Tx? Four channels at $30? It might even have servo reversing. Besides one person calling it "C**p" for nonsensical reasons, I've never heard a bad word regarding the quality of the device. Please run a search, though!

Keep us posted.

daveWCO
May 20, 2003, 02:51 AM

GWS

I have had great luck with their servo's.The 4 channel recievers I have had nothing but problems with.I have sent several in for repair.The good thing is that I have never been charged for the repairs.The Hitec recievers and servos are A little more money,but much better built.If your getting into this hobby for the long haul,go with the Hitec equipment.
May 20, 2003, 03:18 AM
FoamBoard Pilot
I suggest that you find out about RF interference in your flying zone first. Some places has very bad RF interference. You DONT want to use GWS in place like this. You will get shot down very quickly . I have this problem at my flying field. I cannot use the GWS RX at my field. I crashed 2 planes using them.
Others have had great times with theirs. The size is great for tiny planes, but beware of the bad RF signals that might be lurking. The only solution is to get a dual conversion RX if you suspect bad RF. My only Rx that is not getting hit is my HITEC dual conversion that i got with my Prizm 7 set.
I must confess that i have flown without clitches at my field using the GWS, but the number of flights without problems i can count on my 2 fingers.

Good luck
May 20, 2003, 03:29 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Moving to radios.

FB

Quick Reply