May 14, 2011, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster62
Just finished first flight. Very small trim inputs. Cyclone 64mm balanced fan unit. 2200 4S turnigy nanotec. Cyclone 60A esc, batts in lower slot as far forward as you can. Flew on rails! Best flying jet I have! Great high alfa on landing.

Had to cut a hatch just behind the canopy to have access to rx and servo wires.
did you have to do any modding to get the battery to fit? do you have any wattmeter reading regarding amp draw with that edf unit?
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2011, 12:07 AM
Go Cocks!
Quote:
Just finished first flight. Very small trim inputs. Cyclone 64mm balanced fan unit. 2200 4S turnigy nanotec. Cyclone 60A esc, batts in lower slot as far forward as you can. Flew on rails! Best flying jet I have! Great high alfa on landing.

Had to cut a hatch just behind the canopy to have access to rx and servo wires.
This is the MaxJet or Airfield? Tom

EDIT: Also what is you AUW?....Thanks
Last edited by tdab; May 15, 2011 at 12:18 AM.
May 15, 2011, 12:17 AM
Go Cocks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud
The Airfield F-18 has *no* boxes, everything inside has to be accessed through the cockpit opening.
Fred, Thank you for the pics, Just what I wanted to see. I have everything now but the airframe.....Delivery should be this Monday according to UPS.....I'm hoping to have 300 watts per pound with one of Don's setups that I got in the mail today. I spun it up and tonight and holy cow!

I also got the blue angels version....Yours looks sweet.

Thanks again, Tom
May 15, 2011, 10:57 AM

F-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab
This is the MaxJet or Airfield? Tom

EDIT: Also what is you AUW?....Thanks
Airfield. AUW= 24.0oz with 2200 4S nanotec
May 15, 2011, 01:50 PM
Go Cocks!
Quote:
Cool man, What is your set-up and lets see some pics!

Thanks, Tom
May 15, 2011, 02:51 PM

Airfield F-18

You know what the plane looks like. My battery position is in the lowest part of the bay as far forward as possiable, nice snug fit.Name: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CP64SMF4500P1-250x250.jpg
Views: 116
Size: 28.9 KB
Description:

Name: CPESC60ASBECP1-500x500.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 83.5 KB
Description:

Name: N2200-4S-25(1).jpg
Views: 97
Size: 66.7 KB
Description:
May 15, 2011, 03:01 PM

Airfield F-18

This is where I cut an access hatch.Name: f18-white2.jpg
Views: 173
Size: 68.3 KB
Description:
May 15, 2011, 04:27 PM
Quote:
This is where I cut an access hatch.Attachment 4016052
BTW, What was the purpose of the hatch?
May 15, 2011, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brati4
In #166, "Had to cut a hatch just behind the canopy to have access to rx and servo wires."
May 15, 2011, 06:26 PM

Airfield F-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brati4
Needed to keep electronics to the rear of the plane for cg. If all was forward there would be no way to attain the cg with 2200 4s nanotech batts. Flies high alfa and not tail heavy with 65mm cg location. Good for slower landings.

@900w
May 17, 2011, 04:49 PM
I've just bought one of these (FMS version) and intend flying it stock on 3S. The instructions don't mention c of g or control throws. I've found c of g info earlier in this thread but can anyone advise on throws, particularly elevator?
May 17, 2011, 06:07 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Quote:
Is that getting you good vertical performance?
Any video?
thx
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 03, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
May 20, 2011, 05:52 PM
Hi,
Does the AF F-18 want to stand on its tail if handlaunding with high powered setups like the AF F-4 ?
I fly a AF F-4 that must be launched at 1/2 trottle with a Dons wicked 700 watt setup or will do the tail dance for a few seconds before powering out. I even have the cg forward with same results.
Frank
May 22, 2011, 12:27 AM
Go Cocks!
Flew my AF F18 for the first time this evening. Had four flights. Hand launches with ease and is a real stable flyer. My set up has Dons Wicked plus 4000 motor dynamically balanced in the EDO Type1 fan. It sounds like a turbine with this fan ....like a low-pitch whistle! I use a 4s 2450 and am getting about 650-700 watts. I would guess the speed is around 80mph on a fresh pack. With the thickness of the trailing edges on the wings, the vert stabs and tail you would really have to power it up to get a really fast jet. The good thing about that thickness on the trailing edges is it makes the jet fly really stable. My AUW is 27.8 oz.....

The good:

Stable flyer
Hand launch is not a problem with decent power (> 500w)
Glides great
Landing is easy it will slows down fine
Good price on the airframe only version

The suspect:

Thick trailing edges (compare this to the vert stab and wings of the HP F16 to see how you get a "slick jet")
I hate the way the servos wires are run ...very sloppy, IMO
Would be nice to have the fuse in 2 parts out of the box
Had to hog out some foam to get the lipo to fit but not that much
Flimsy nose-cone (I cut out some packing foam the exact shape and glued it in there so no biggie now)

I will post some video when I have a chance. Overall I give a 8 out of 10 due to the price!...Tom
May 22, 2011, 12:30 AM
Go Cocks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrez
Hi,
Does the AF F-18 want to stand on its tail if handlaunding with high powered setups like the AF F-4 ?
I fly a AF F-4 that must be launched at 1/2 trottle with a Dons wicked 700 watt setup or will do the tail dance for a few seconds before powering out. I even have the cg forward with same results.
Frank
No issues at on like this on the F18. Today on my second flight, I actually chucked it at over a 45 degree angle (not on purpose) and it just climbed at that same angle with no issues at all. My other launches were straight out with no pitch up or down...

Quick Reply