Feb 05, 2010, 04:32 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Noname Unique FPV platform - Fully molded!

Hey guys.

In the last year i managed to build 3 diffrent scratchbuilt FPV platforms, each one was better then the other, each one had it own unique ability.

This one is the 4th, I still dont know what name to give it.

The plane was carefully thought for high efficiency FPV plane.

It was entirely built in my local club www . aeroclub . co . il with an expirienced
F3J\F5J plane designer\pilot\builder named Tom Dagan.

The plane is now raedy to fly, still without FPV gear (i need to run a few test flights before)

it will have a ball turret camera on front (still on work)
it can run on various setup's.
the AUW will be between 2.8KG to 3.5KG (can carry more but will be faster)

a few technical specs about it (the current plane):
AUW (without FPV gear) - 3200 gr
Wing area: 72 Decimeter
Wingspan: 3.4 Meter

I have been working on this project in the last 6 monthes, and with Tom's help i managed to finish this project sooner then i expected.

I have the molds so i will make in the near future a few more units, a few friends of mine will enjoy the benefit to use a few units and they later can write their reviews on it.

The plane is designed to be with a 3 pieces wing (not 2 like this current plane have)
each piece will be around 1 Meter so eventually the entire plane can get into a very small box! (evrything is quite compact)
I estimate it can get inside a 120X30X30 box!

After the last two platforms had an airtime of something between 40 to 70 min i expect this platform to be at least 60 min and i hope to get around 90-100 min of fly.

I will publish more photos soon, as well as the video of the test flight (waiting for a sunny day)

in the meantime enjoy the attached photos
and please share me with your feedback.

Oh and one last thing, help me choose the best name for the plane!! it deserves it.

Hope you liked it,
Guy.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2010, 05:08 PM
Suspended Account
simply amazing. my jaw is on the floor. well done!
Feb 05, 2010, 05:17 PM
That's a really cool plane. I'd certainly fly one.

However, over many years of flying I've never seen a plane that didn't occasionally plop
down hard directly on its nose. I just can't see how a turret camera arrangement could
possibly last very long unless you're planning to install tripod landing gear to
protect it.

ian
Last edited by Daemon; Feb 05, 2010 at 05:23 PM.
Feb 05, 2010, 05:18 PM
you could name it "the really fat ezwhale" xD
Feb 05, 2010, 05:20 PM
Suspended Account
Impressive!

Cheers,

Sander.
Feb 05, 2010, 05:26 PM
Suspended Account
Ian, one could make the turret snap backwards on a bigger impact ... F5J pilots already do that similar things to cushion their "hat landings".
Feb 05, 2010, 05:27 PM
Suspended Account
If you do a nose-in with that plane all bets are off anyway, this isn't an Ez where the pieces of foam can be coached into fitting together again with some hot water and gentle rubbing of a spoon ...

Cheers,

Sander.
Feb 05, 2010, 05:35 PM
Suspended Account
You'd be surprised the kind of hits a plane like that can take. If you nose in on grass from ~20m vertical for example, the fuselage just drives into the ground. When you use plastic screws the wings dismantle nicely (not in this design, but on a bolted-down wing). After you've dug it out, you'll probably need to sand and epoxy a couple of hairlines and that's it
Feb 05, 2010, 06:53 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys.

I can tell you a few nice stories about this kind of plane's that crashes on a hard solid ground.

anyway, if you build it smart, the nose can collepse and thats it!
maybe a minor damage to a few things but no more then that, i saw planes heading stragiht down (vertical fall) and with high speed impact a very small damage..

it might sound odd but its true.

im really not worried about the camera on front, i still havnt built the gimbal so i cant tell what will happend when it will crash but i will design it correctly so it wont damage the camera if possible.
Feb 05, 2010, 07:26 PM
Born to Live - Live to Fly !
You can design the ball so the mounting points are relative weak (plastic screws, easy to replace balsa). On impact all the hard to build parts are safe because all the easy to build parts break and absorb the impact.

You can see this in a previous rough landing.

Name: Rough Landing.jpg
Views: 1380
Size: 63.6 KB
Description: R

The camera ball was fine with almost no damage. Fuselage - not so much. Sander, I tried the hot water and the spoon but I must have been doing something wrong. LOL
Last edited by stevekott; Feb 05, 2010 at 07:33 PM.
Feb 05, 2010, 08:16 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
guyavitov this is a really nice plane!! Congrats!!
Feb 05, 2010, 08:41 PM
Peakaboo!
Guy: This is a pro-looking FPV platform.

Steve: Sorry for the premature ending of your Killer Whale. The best is yet to come with your design skills. I bookmarked your Youtube "eyeball" video. ++
Feb 05, 2010, 08:42 PM
Wow!!! Name suggestion "Avatar"
Cheers,
Georgi
Feb 05, 2010, 08:46 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev
Wow!!! Name suggestion "Avatar"
Cheers,
Georgi
I like it!

How about Eye of the Beholder?
Feb 05, 2010, 09:34 PM
First to go over 106K feet
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekott
You can design the ball so the mounting points are relative weak (plastic screws, easy to replace balsa). On impact all the hard to build parts are safe because all the easy to build parts break and absorb the impact.

You can see this in a previous rough landing.

Attachment 3042070

The camera ball was fine with almost no damage. Fuselage - not so much. Sander, I tried the hot water and the spoon but I must have been doing something wrong. LOL
This isn't the one you just finished is it?

Quick Reply