May 19, 2003, 08:23 AM
Thread OP

Ripmax .40 trainer

Is it possible to equip a Ripmax Trainer .40 to fly with an electric motor ?
If yes could you specifiy what would I need to make it work ? What disadvantages would come out ?

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2003, 02:44 AM
Thread OP
opsss anyone can help ?

Thanks
May 20, 2003, 03:27 AM
There are literally 10's of different combos you can use for this, i don't think you will need a setup equivalent to a .40 engine as these trainers always seem overpowered to me. It as always depends on how much you want to spend. You could probably use a AXI 2820/12 on 10-14 cells to give enough power, that motor can fly .40 sized models.
May 20, 2003, 08:47 AM
Speed Demon
You might get more responces to your question if you supply more information that'll make it easier for us to help you pick powerplant configurations?

What is the weight of the bare airframe? What is the wing span and the area of the wing?
May 21, 2003, 01:54 AM
Thread OP
Greg you are right here they come the specs directly from the Ripmax site (Ripmax Trainer .40 ):

-----------------

• Lightweight ARTF Trainer
• Attractive high visibility colour scheme
• Highly prefabricated for ease of assembly

Kit Contents:
• Tough pre-covered fuselage
• Lightweight pre-covered built up wing and tail surfaces
• Moulded fuel tank
• Moulded spinner
• Preformed undercarriage and wheels
• Full set of control hardware
• Comprehensive full colour step by step instructions - building your ARTF has got easier!

SPECIFICATION:
Wing Span: 1550mm (61")
Weight: 2200g
Engine: .38~.48
Build Level: ARTF
Skill Level: Beginner

Required to complete (Not included):
• 4~6 Ch radio equipment
• .38~.48 2-Stroke engine
• Propeller

----------------------------------------

I would like to know which electric engine can I use and which ESC and servos and prop ... eheh yep everything

Thanks so much
May 26, 2003, 07:45 AM
Thread OP
still anyone can help ? thanks
May 26, 2003, 10:12 AM
Speed Demon
Sorry for the long delay, this one got away from me. I'm assuming that you will be using the stock landing gear and I like to use larger props so we won't go too far off in that direction. I'll plan on an 11" prop diameter. Running a few combinations through Motocalc with that size prop direct drive I came to the conclusion that a Mega 22/30/4 on 12 cell and an 11 X 7 prop should pull ~39 amps. This should have plenty of power to get the plane moving well and also have enough headroom to back considerably off the throttle for those super long training flights at slow speeds. You may want to try some of the 1950FAUP cells as they're very light weight yet can handle that amp draw.

This is just one combo that I believe will work. Perhaps we'll get a couple more recommendations from other modelers. Hope this helps and let us know what you decide on and how it eventually flies.
Last edited by GregG; May 26, 2003 at 10:14 AM.
May 26, 2003, 11:01 AM
I have just dug out a copy of the UK mag.Model Flyer(Jan.2003)
They have done a conversion on the Ripmax Trainer 30!
They fitted a 12x8APC E prop, and 10 3000mAH cells, with a wing area of 465sq.ins, they used a standard 600 7.2 volt mated to 3:1 open type gear box.
This, they say flew it fine................that might help you for the bigger model, but if you can afford brushless, then go with that.

Ian
May 28, 2003, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Thanks guys mmm I have to say that Trainer .30 conversion is maybe to prefer to .40 also because will fit better in my car LOL
I have to look at some prices and decide which config would be less expensive.
Anyway thanks so much and I will let you know every detail as soon as I get news LOL

Thanks

Quick Reply