First annual

Dudes and Dudettes

I would happily like to announce the first annual

CAMS, Polecat, Soaring Circiuts Open Soar
Electric Sailplane Contest
June 19th and 20th 2K10

Location, the beautiful Carlisle Aeromodelers "Bear Field"
Previously site of the Polecat Challenge

Purpose of the event is to promote and help organize e-soaring events Nationwide and specifically here on the east coast. Many of us are flying e-sailplanes and I believe we can have some fun get togethers same as the DLG events.

Two classes will be flown, 28mm Outrunner and Altitude limited, alternating rounds over two days. Trophies will be awarded for both days.

Thanks to Randy from Soaring Circiuts the altitude limiter devices will be available as loaner units for use at the contest so no one needs to rush out and buy equipment just for the contest.

Coffee in the morning and lunch will be provided for competitors on both days.

Primative camping is allowed on the field, e-mail me for details. There is a real campground within a few miles of the field and they also have a few cabins that they rent. Carlisle is filled with reasonable priced motels.

Vendors will be welcomed without fee and I will set aside an area for swap items and for sale items so that they can be displayed.

Directions and a look at the field are here http://www.carlisleaeromodelers.com/Maps.html

Attached is a PDF of he rules for both classes. We all already have planes that can be competative in both classes. These are the exact same two classes that will be flown at this years NATS. What better chance to try it out.

I always get the old story "there aren't any contests" Well, now there is one. You can either set back and argue rules and mute points or come on out and have some fun with us. I've been flying for over 40 years and some of the best experiences of all have come at the Polecat Challenge simply because it was set up as a social event and learning experience and a contest. If you doubt the fun and learning that can be had at the right contest just go check the thread in Handlaunch where I announced there would be no more Challenge:-)

On line registration: http://opensoar.eventbrite.com/
Last edited by dennymaize; May 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2010, 02:54 PM
AMA 7224
Now this is progress! Carlisle is a little bit of a ride from South Jersey,but easily doable. Yes, we need more contest for e-sailplanes,it's time to put this particular sector of model soaring into the mainstream.
Now if we can only get a LSF task program for us who have abandoned the winch and string....*sighs*..another discussion entirely I suppose.
I will make an effort to attend and bring another e-glider guider with possibly.
If you see an old fat short curmudgeon(dude,not dudette) there with a BEEG sailplane, say hi....it's me!!

Well done on the contest!!!!
Latest blog entry: Maxford 27% Gee Bee Model Y ARF
Feb 03, 2010, 04:13 PM
Dave Register
Way cool

A bit of a hike from Oklahoma but who could miss an e-soaring weekend like this at the Polecat field?

Somebody needs to populate the bottom of the score sheet - I'll be there (Carlisle AND the bottom of the sheet). Should be a real learning experience and a lot of fun,

- Dave R
Feb 03, 2010, 04:21 PM
You looking at me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiesoar
Way cool

A bit of a hike from Oklahoma but who could miss an e-soaring weekend like this at the Polecat field?

Somebody needs to populate the bottom of the score sheet - I'll be there (Carlisle AND the bottom of the sheet). Should be a real learning experience and a lot of fun,

- Dave R
I agree Dave! I'll be there too!

Ed
Feb 04, 2010, 07:25 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Wow!

I'll be able to meet a whole new group of people in person. .. How cool is that?
Feb 04, 2010, 07:33 AM
Thread OP
(If you see an old fat short curmudgeon(dude,not dudette))

Dang, I was hopin for more of the Dudette's:-) Just kidding Leadchucker, happy to have you. I was also hoping for a little more entheusastic response from more guys. There is a group in MD and one in DE and there are a kabillion e-sailplanes in the area. I know that for a fact because I put a bunch of them there:-) DLG was the same way getting started, handlaunch was dead on the East Coast so we persevered and slowly guys came out to the contest and realized that it was not intimidating, they made new friends, learned a lot and had a great time. Trying for the same with E-sailplane
Feb 05, 2010, 12:20 AM
Looking,

Ric
Feb 05, 2010, 05:29 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Just when you think Denny is out of RC Soaring, the man jumps right back in to help drive a new part of the hobby. Denny, it looks like e-soaring is about to take a leap foward, with your help.

I like the fomat and the rules.

My RTF Radian is out for the 28MM class. That comes with a 35mm motor.

However a Radian could fly in the time/height limited event if the devices will work with a 2.4 GHz Spektrum receiver. Anyone know if this works?

Denny, my best wishes for the success of your contest. I hope you have a great turn-out.

You might consider a Radian one design as a lunch time fun fly contest as well, since these are so popular and so standardized and fly so well.

Ed Anderson
President, LISF
President, ESL
Present on the flying field whenever possible.
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 05, 2010 at 05:51 AM.
Feb 05, 2010, 06:23 AM
Soaring Circuits
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
However a Radian could fly in the time/height limited event if the devices will work with a 2.4 GHz Spektrum receiver. Anyone know if this works?
My Radian has been the primary test bed during the CAM's development. For those that aren't aware of it, a Radian right out of the box will do 200 meters in about 27-28 seconds.

Randy
Feb 05, 2010, 07:36 AM
Great effort Denny, this is what needs to happen to move ALC on down the road.

Marc
Feb 06, 2010, 01:42 PM
Thread OP
Allrighty then ladies

Just in the process of moveing 21" of snow from the driveway and I'm still fired up about the contest. Anybody else share the love?
Feb 06, 2010, 03:05 PM
AMA 7224
Dooooooood...I'm mega-stoked!! In fact the whole thing (contest,not snow) is sooooooooo gnarly,I did my part to improve the economy (story told to wife) and bought a new e-sailplane.

I also found the idea of the altitude limiter so appealing in giving a wide variety of aircraft and contestants so many options for construction and powerplants, but still all be on a level playing field. I am thinking of proposing the idea to the SAM rules committee as a possible addition as a class in the Old Timers electric classes. What's the worse the could say..no?
Last edited by Leadchucker; Feb 06, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Feb 06, 2010, 03:10 PM
You looking at me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Just when you think Denny is out of RC Soaring, the man jumps right back in to help drive a new part of the hobby. Denny, it looks like e-soaring is about to take a leap foward, with your help.

I like the fomat and the rules.

My RTF Radian is out for the 28MM class. That comes with a 35mm motor.

Denny, my best wishes for the success of your contest. I hope you have a great turn-out.

You might consider a Radian one design as a lunch time fun fly contest as well, since these are so popular and so standardized and fly so well.

Ed Anderson
President, LISF
President, ESL
Present on the flying field whenever possible.
So are you coming to the contest? You have a plane, your not that far away.

Well....

Ed
Feb 06, 2010, 03:45 PM
US dealer for the RC Altimeter: http://www.magtechinc.net/RCAltimeter.htm
Feb 06, 2010, 04:48 PM
turn, turn, turn.
I'll be putting my lightweight power train in for this contest.

Three meters and 52.5 oz. RTF.
Around 350 Watts.

Quick Reply