Jun 08, 2003, 07:56 PM
Hey, I told you I would do my best to take care of you guys out there ! I just hope UPS doesn't screw them up too bad..
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2003, 09:00 PM
SkyPyro:

Are you going to buy both bundles that are coming in tomorrow or should I schedule a trip over to Lowe's to pick one of them up?

Please let me know.

Mike D.
Jun 09, 2003, 09:14 AM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
No, I wouldn't deprive a fellow flyer of Bluecor if there is enough to go around I am not 100% sure that it will be in today, (darn UPS) but if it is, then I will give you a ring on your cell phone.
Jun 10, 2003, 05:00 AM
AZ Astro:

Can you please post a pdf/gif/jpg with your motor mount. I have searched all over the net and have not been able to get the correct measurements anywhere.
Jun 10, 2003, 08:02 AM
I bought some wooden and square speed 400 motor mounts through Hobby Lobby. I plan on glueing one on the nose of the plane and then trimming around it with my dremil.
Jun 10, 2003, 08:12 AM
AZ Asrto:

Is the main wing glued on or is it removable to access the battery?
Jun 10, 2003, 10:14 AM
Cubby: The wing is glued on, see Az Astro's 1st post on page 4
Jun 10, 2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks Zorro, I didn't see that.

Does the battery get pulled out under that front hatch?
Jun 10, 2003, 11:50 AM
I don't know about the battery install/remove. I think Az said earlier that the hatches etc would be cut in the bottom after covering etc. I would think that the batts gotta rest in that level section of the bottom but we'll see. I decided to use a Graupner speed 400 with the esc made onto the rear of the motor. I had it lying around & thought it may work in this project. Its at

www.hobby-lobby.com part # GR6369

I made & glued on my motor mount other day & had the motor/esc fastened to mount when I glued mount so de motor is now locked up inside waiting to be rescued hee-hee

Ed
Jun 10, 2003, 12:31 PM
I glued my motor in today. I also burried my hs-55 servo in the top of the wing (with control horns on the top side of the balsa airlerons.

I messed up by making the elevator too large. I wanted to put my control horn directly behind the fuse and then run the Dubro micro pushrod up through the tail.

I instead had to move the control horn off to the side, run the pushrod up the outside of the fuse and enter the side. My elevator servo is wrapped in masking tape and is epoxied to the floor of the fuse.

I am going to have to move the battery back a little ways to get my CG right. I don't know if a hatch is going to work well or not.
Jun 10, 2003, 12:51 PM
Cubby: Roger that, sounds good, you're way ahead of me, basically all I've done is build the fuse/wing, mount the motor & cut the tail fethers out of blue-cor. I'm waiting now for further instructions. I have an order on way for music wire, brass tubeing & stuff. Donno if I'll have all the stuff for the aileron torque rod set up as I've never built that before but we'll see. I'm in no hurry but it is a very interesting project & thanks to Az for doing it.

Noticed you're in Ind. thinking about taking grandson to Muncie in July for the sailplane Nats. Never been, looks like a 10 hr drive from here, donno will see.

Anyway, good luck ole man.

Ed
Jun 10, 2003, 12:59 PM
Good luck to you too!

My goal for this has been to keep the weight and drag to a minimum. I have use probond for everything except glueing in the servos.

I am waiting on props from APC to come in today. I ordered them direclty off of their website. I thought that was great until I found out that it was going to take a week for delivery!

My covering job is a bit sloppy, especially on the bottom. Oh well.

I will post pics once I have everything gued up and RTF.
Jun 11, 2003, 01:20 AM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
You guys are a busy bunch.

I was able to IBC order 20 bundles of Bluecor about a month ago into the Chandler, AZ Lowes. They all went pretty quickly as I had lined up a lot of interest.

I'll probably miss somebody's question but -

1) Fly4Fun - yeah, good to fly with you. We have a fun time out there at the Chandler Bowl. All of my buddies have started after I did, so we're all relative newbies to the hobbie. Having a blast though.

2) Wing - yes, I glue it on. The Bluecor fuse is not very strong and I think it needs the extra support on the top, especially after we cut out all the hatches on the bottom.

3) Hatches - no magic here. All hatches are cut out of the flat bottom.

I have an aft hatch for the elevator servo which I cut out big enough to put in a Bluecor servo mount. It's at the fore end of the 3rd segment of the fuse. After I cut this hatch and install the servo, I tape this one shut.

Forward hatch - needs to be big enough so that you can get your battery in and out. This is one part of the model that I'm a little disappointed in. This hatch needs to be removeable/openable. I'm currently just taping it on prior to flight. Simple and functional but there is a lot of wear and tear on the rest of the tape job and it's not very strong. But it's ok.

4) Aileron servo: I mount the aileron servo upside down in the center of the wing and use torque rods to control the ailerons. I'll document this down the road. The fuse is just big enough to handle the HS-55 servo so an HS-81 might not even work here.

I liked putting the servo under the wing because then it is internal to the fuse and everything is clean.

We'll be moving on here shortly.
Jun 11, 2003, 07:23 AM
Thanks AZ-Astro,

I would like to see more detail on your main wing servo mounting job. I guess I don't know what you mean by torque rods.

If mine flys well I will want to make one for a Mega 4 turn motor.

Thanks
Jun 11, 2003, 11:31 AM
Are you letting the antenna trail behind or did you tape it to the outside of the fuse to save drag?

I never did cut the bottom part of my fuse and instead glued the entire top and bottom together.

I cut a battery hatch that keeps shut with the help of a small rubber band and a section of bamboo scewer that penetrates the width of the fuse.

I will post a picture of my battery hatch once the main wing drys.

Can't wait to give it a toss!

Quick Reply