Aug 01, 2003, 06:45 PM
Hello Dan & Jim. Yes I have a Z bender but didn't use it on the wing. Used it on the elevator. Hopefully I have it now. Initially, I didn't cut any hatches etc in the bottom but in order to fix this problem I had to cut her belly open. While open I added more aileron throw & adjusted for more "down" which I needed.
Jim, this thing flies great. I can see me building anouther one later on. With the 5.5x4.5 APC & 8 HE 1100 cells she was really cooking . I love this plane, it flys easy. Started putting together a Manx this evening, raining, gotta do something.

Later
Ed
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2003, 07:38 PM
Tree? That's a Tx weed!
Zorro,
Please detail drive system:
APC 5.5x4.5E, 8xHE1100, Speed 400 ?V, ESC ?
Thanks,
Crash
Aug 01, 2003, 07:53 PM
Hi Crash, I used the Graupner speed 400 6v with the esc built onto the rear of the motor. I like this setup cuz it saves space that would normally be used for seperate esc. APC 5.5x4.5, 8 HE cells 1100 mah. hs 55 servos, 555 rcvr. It runs good with the reg old white Gunther prop. The motor I used is part number GR6369 from -

www.hobby-lobby. com

Ed
Aug 01, 2003, 10:27 PM
Fly
Fly
Veracitarian Muser

Z bends

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyPyro
The Z-bender tool is kinda pricey, I think around 15 dollars, but it is really worth it.
I have a real easy way to make a perfect, narrow, Z bend with a standard pair of pliers. It takes 3 seconds if you go slowly!

1) Grab about 1/8" of wire in the pliers, and put a 90 degree bend in it.

2) Grab the just made bend in the jaws so that the 1/8" end is entirely in the jaws, pointing back towards the plier's handles, and the rest of the wire is going out the side of the jaws. The bend should be completely in the jaws, but just barely! That is, the short 1/8" lenght of wire should be about one wire's width from the side edge of the jaws.

3) With a tight grip on the pliers, bend the wire 90 degrees down and continue gripping the pliers.

4) Rotate the end of the wire 90 degrees away from the plier's handles.

You should now have a near perfect Z bend.

-- Alan
Aug 01, 2003, 11:33 PM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
Thanks Fly, I'm definitely going to try that z-bend method. I've always used pliers but haven't been satisfied with mine. They're a little too large.
Aug 02, 2003, 02:12 AM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Hey AZ- if you'd like I could bring my Z-bend pliers out to the CB and you could get all your pushrods worked out.

Dan
Aug 02, 2003, 12:34 PM

AZ Maiden Success

After about 8 hours, using epoxy and odorless CA, I finished my AZ Shrike, covered in white and red.

Equipped with a untimed sp400, 8x600ae's, 2xHitec 55's, gws 6ch rx, great planes 20 amp esc, the AUW was 14 7/8 oz.

I opted for a rubber banded wing - access and storage ease, and I put in 3 - 1/2 popsicle stcks in the nose, and then tie-wrapped the motor in - did not have the 400 mount plate!

Hand launched easily, and flew great! Very quick and turns on a dime! Could not get trim right on maiden, still want to pitch up at higher speeds, but it may have been the wind?

Thanks AZ for a great addition to my blue-cor fleet.

Doubt I will buy another manufactured kit anytime soon - fanfold rocks!
Aug 02, 2003, 12:35 PM
another
Aug 02, 2003, 12:37 PM
wing mount
Last edited by jimmyray; Aug 02, 2003 at 12:40 PM.
Aug 02, 2003, 12:41 PM
underside
Aug 02, 2003, 12:51 PM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
8 hours is a pretty quick build. Good job! Good tape finish!

I used a rubber band wing mount on one of my Bluecor planes and the stress eventually collapsed the Bluecor fuse. That's why I ended up glueing the wing this time around. You may have to strengthen the fuse to handle the stress at some point.
Aug 02, 2003, 04:16 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Very cool plane! That is like the one AZ built in this thread with the wing upside-down I'm curious- did the video prompt you to build or finish this plane?

Dan
Aug 02, 2003, 04:55 PM
Actually, the video was the convincing factor!

I've been watching (lurking) the thread, but when I saw the video, said "gotta try that!"

Mine is not as fast, probably because of stale batteries, new motor, and the APC 5x5 prop. I'll have to experiment some with props, and try some Li-Po on it as well
Aug 11, 2003, 12:16 PM
Old school newb
Oh, I finally got some speed 400 gear, but I got a reverse timed motor, so what do I do? I make it a pusher. I call it the AZ_Shreik, because it's basically a backwards AZ_Shrike. If my other one confused you (the sokohoi) this one will really throw you for a loop!

Alek
Aug 11, 2003, 08:46 PM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
Dare I ask to see a picture?

Quick Reply