Jun 25, 2003, 07:06 AM
AZ, I probably missed it somewhere. Where's the balance point on the Shrike ?

Thanks
Ed
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2003, 11:16 AM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
You know, I think I never mentioned the CG so thanks for bringing it up. I'll repost the plans at the start of the thread with the CG noted.

Initial CG should be 1 1/2" back from the leading edge of the wing. With any battery configuration that I have, I'm not able to move the CG forward or backward much from that location. But since it flies fine with all battery configurations, I guess I don't care!

I'm sure the CG can go back from there a bit, but 1 1/2" is very safe as a starting location.
Jun 25, 2003, 11:27 AM
DLG Fan
Thread OP

Step 9: Flight Testing

Control throws: The ailerons should deflect about 1/4". The elevator about 1/2".

Use some exponential mixing, if you've got it, on both the ailerons and the elevator. I used End-Point-Adjustment to reduce the throw of the elevator.

Glide test if you wish but find a grassy field as the fuselage is not the strongest around. I didn't do a glide test since I was confident in the plane's ability to fly.

With the CG at 1 1/2" back from the main wing, check out your trim settings and make sure that the elevator and ailerons are working smoothly and in the correct direction. Check throttle. Got pretty good kick? Let's go then!

Antenna up! Take a few deep breaths!
Last edited by AZ_Astro; Jun 25, 2003 at 11:50 AM.
Jun 25, 2003, 11:27 AM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
Check the wind direction. Throw into the wind. If you do, I doubt the AZ-Shrike will drop at all.

You want a firm throw just above the horizon. Keep the wings level.
Jun 25, 2003, 11:29 AM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
... and we're off! Whoah baby. Too much left aileron.

A few circuits and we're trimmed out. Hey, flies nicely! Clean. Tracks well.
Jun 25, 2003, 11:32 AM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
Climbout with a 7.2v S400 was an anemic 10%-20% or so with the Gunther (Zagi) prop. A 6V S400 provides a lot better performance.

With a 6V S400 and APC-E 5.5x4.5 prop, you'll get 30% (or better) climbouts. She'll speck out in about a minute if you work at it.
Last edited by AZ_Astro; Jun 25, 2003 at 11:52 AM.
Jun 25, 2003, 11:32 AM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
The Fly-By.
Jun 25, 2003, 11:35 AM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
She's a very aerobatic ship. Loves to loop and rolls quickly. Absolutely loves the power dives.

By the way, I saw NO FLEX in the wings on the power dives, even with the 4mm carbon fiber rods. Speed was approximately 40-50 mph (?) on the dives.
Jun 25, 2003, 11:37 AM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
My 8-year old son took all the pics. Here are a couple others he took.
Jun 25, 2003, 11:42 AM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
And that's a wrap!

Good luck with all of your AZ-Shrikes. It's a great flyer for intermediate to advanced flyers, fun to build, and has a lot of features that I really like.

* Antenna runs out the back. No fussing with the darn antenna here.
* All the servos are internalized giving the plane ultra clean lines
* Very responsive and aerobatic
* Runs GREAT on S400, direct drive. We've got to be close to maximizing the performance of the Speed 400 here.

I'll be here if you have questions.

AZ_Astro
Jun 25, 2003, 12:51 PM
Burnin' holes in the sky!
Could you email me the full sized plans at [email protected]? The artifacts from making it smaller are making it tricky to convert to CAD. Thanks, Dan
Jun 25, 2003, 01:27 PM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
Here is the plan file all zipped up.
Jun 25, 2003, 03:19 PM
This will look good on my Shrike but I think cooling will suffer ?
Jun 25, 2003, 04:25 PM
Thank you AZ_Astro! I really appreciate your time and effort in making this available to everyone. Looks like a real fun plane.
Jun 25, 2003, 05:15 PM
DLG Fan
Thread OP
Zorro:

Great looking spinner! Looks like one of the Graupners, about 1 1/4"? Go with it man. When it looks that good, who cares about the $10 motor. Heh heh.

Genesis Creation: No Problem. I've gotten a ton from the EZone and felt this might be a good way to give something back.

Now show me your AZ-Shrikes! Pictures. Flight reports! Hoo Yaa!

It's a great flyer, one of the very best in my squadron.
Last edited by AZ_Astro; Jun 25, 2003 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply