Feb 01, 2010, 12:38 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Thread OP
Build Log

J-Power A-10 build, mods, general discussion thread

Thread to share, discuss and document builds, modifications, opinions and anything else related to the J-Power A-10. Specs of the model are below.

Wingspan: 1250mm (49.2 in)
Length: 1150mm (45.3 in)
Flying Weight: 1260g (44.4 oz)

I picked up the Black Lightning airframe kit which included the below:

Retract: Electronic retract system
Drive System: 2x 4600KV Outrunner brushless motors and 64mm fans
Servo: 8X 9g high speed micro servos
ESC: 2X 30A Brushless speed controller

The stock setup (intended only for 3 cells) has been replaced with haoye shrouds, sapac motors and impellers and suppo 50 ampers to run on 4 cells.

The stock retracts are actually mechanicals. I've got a set of dsr-30s, e-flites and x-flights (on the way) to choose from.

The size of this model really lends itself to many scale mods and add-ons. I'm hoping I do it justice. Enjoy the thread and let's build!
Last edited by gunracer; Feb 01, 2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: added pics from other thread
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2010, 10:15 PM

haoye shrouds

man, i looked ALL over the world wide web, can't find the shrouds. can u point me to where u got them, thanks
Feb 01, 2010, 10:49 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Thread OP
i thought at one time hobbyking offered the shrouds by themselves but maybe not...you can get the complete fan at the below links when they get restocked...

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...e_2.5inch_64mm

http://www.sonicelectric.com/Merchan...roduct_Count=9

i have 2 extra shrouds but the mounting tabs have been cut off...if you want to try them, pay for shipping and i'll send them your way...
Feb 01, 2010, 11:14 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Thread OP

progress pics

decided to mod the elevator setup a little bit as the stock setup was prone to uneven deflection and the control rod was on top of the h stab...i can probably live with how the elevators are hinged but the ailerons concern me...rehinging the ailerons will be a little challenging because of their one way bevel...here are some more pics...enjoy...
Feb 02, 2010, 12:04 AM
add lightness
that elevator mod is an awesome idea! nice work.

wow, that Aileron looks like it would tear sooner than later.
Feb 02, 2010, 01:41 AM

sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars36
man, i looked ALL over the world wide web, can't find the shrouds. can u point me to where u got them, thanks
sorry............i have the wrong part..........i mean the exhaust tubes after the shrouds......where can i find them thanks again.
my desert camo hopefully will be here this week
Feb 02, 2010, 04:51 PM
add lightness
For thrust tubes, a lot of people use the clear plastic sheets copy centers sell.

My j-power 49" A-10 from BH tracking says 02.04.2010 - Thursday.
no update on the tracking since 01.30.2010.
and even sweeter is my j-power P-38 also from BH on the same delivery schedule too.
Twin twins for me on thursday!
Last edited by PositivelyJoe; Feb 02, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Feb 02, 2010, 07:17 PM

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivelyJoe
For thrust tubes, a lot of people use the clear plastic sheets copy centers sell.

My j-power 49" A-10 from BH tracking says 02.04.2010 - Thursday.
no update on the tracking since 01.30.2010.
and even sweeter is my j-power P-38 also from BH on the same delivery schedule too.
Twin twins for me on thursday!
thanks for the info...........good luck w/your deliveries..........still no tracking number for my a-10
Feb 02, 2010, 11:57 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Thread OP
lars,

you can make thrust tubes yourself...for thrust tubes, i use mostly mylar as shown in post #1 as it's more rigid than some of the other materials i've tried...you can use the free cone program linked below to design what ever thrust tube you want...if you need help with it, let us know...hope it helps...

http://www.pulserate.com/
Feb 03, 2010, 12:29 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Thread OP

progress pics

the top wing spars on my model weren't flush with the wings...after pulling them out to reseat them, decided to go with longer spars instead...with the longer spars on top, the underwing cf strips probably aren't needed...

before gluing the wing halves together, the aileron hinge issue has to be resolved and the main retracts have to be installed...not sure yet what to do about the aileron hinges, so i started working on the retracts install...

the model is 1/14 scale so i'm thinking the mains should be 2.25-2.5 inches...where can i find the diameter of the wheels on the full scale?...here are some pics...
Feb 03, 2010, 10:12 AM
add lightness
Awesome! you are doing the ground work for me - moving the gear up to the scale spot. That bothers me too. I was wondering why they had it so far back, but then started to wonder if it was done so it does not fall backward on take off or landing due to rear weight of two ducted fans, etc?
I see the box! you are planning to use the new e-flite electric servoless retracts too! oh very nice!

btw, did you buy the airframe only? or did you strip your kit down (seeing the retracts and servos are not installed)

Thanks!
Feb 03, 2010, 02:12 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Thread OP
center of gravity determines where the mains should be...on trikes, the mains are aft of the cog and on taildraggers the mains are forward...on this model, the stock mains were located way aft of the cog to make room for the retract servo...extending the strut to place the wheel in the scale retracted position would make the model sit high...

i got the airframe kit which included the motors, fans, escs, retracts and servos all installed...all of the components have been removed while i work on her...i'll probably wind up using just the stock servos...

along with the mods, you can see why again i wish more models were made available as pure unpainted air frame only kits (ala gws) so the end user can choose/use their own components and paint schemes...if this model was available as a pure airframe only kit for $100-$125, i'd buy 2 or 3 and others would too...as it's currently offered, i'm not sure i would buy another kit when i crash this one...
Feb 03, 2010, 03:26 PM
add lightness
I'm confused.
They sell the airframe only for $129: http://www.bananahobby.com/1969.html
Since you got the servos, motors, esc's, etc, Sounds like you bought the full kit? or full kit minus the tx, rx, battery & charger?

on the retracts, I was thinking of moving the whole stock retract forward - to look more scale. but now that you mention it, the retract servo might not be able to move forward.
Feb 03, 2010, 04:01 PM

air frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PositivelyJoe
I'm confused.
They sell the airframe only for $129: http://www.bananahobby.com/1969.html
Since you got the servos, motors, esc's, etc, Sounds like you bought the full kit? or full kit minus the tx, rx, battery & charger?

on the retracts, I was thinking of moving the whole stock retract forward - to look more scale. but now that you mention it, the retract servo might not be able to move forward.
when i bought my desert camo, i excluded the the battery, charger, glue, transmitter and receiver. still comes w/engines and servos. i think you can buy the black lighting a-10 in just the airframe, which is cheaper yet, but i think they have only the black lighting in airframe only kits. could be wrong, but that's what i saw a couple of weeks ago when i places my order for the desert camo a-10
Feb 03, 2010, 05:58 PM
diligentia vis celeritas
Thread OP
has the airframe always been available by itself?...if it was, then it's my bad because i didn't see it and just subtracted the tx, batt, etc...time to pick up another one...thanks for the link joe...

Quick Reply