Feb 01, 2010, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascolta
My choice for this fun build is the 1924 British light plane the Bristol Brownie. It is built from plans by Bill Hannan for a rubber powered version, only I, with Bills approval, increased the size from 22" to 36"-about 1/12 scale. It will be covered with Coverite Microlite silver & black registration numbers.
This will a great park flyer with rudder & elevator control.

Best wishes,
Dale
Are the original plans available?

That would be a pretty easy size for the Spektrum AR6400.

I remember a fairly recent all sheet one, but that's a bit too small.

Pete
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2010, 11:29 PM
Thread OP
Hi Pete, I believe Bill has plans available-check his site & send him an email.

http://www.hrunway.com/shop/index.html

Dale
Feb 01, 2010, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Hi Pete, I believe Bill has plans available-check his site & send him an email.

http://www.hrunway.com/shop/index.html

Dale
Couldn't find plans on his web site but I did send an e-mail. Maybe a copy exists in one of his books.

I actually have the Dave Robelen plans for a sheet version on this computer, but it's a drop too small and probably a little faster flying than I want, but the plane has been on my mind since then.

Pete
Feb 12, 2010, 02:44 PM
Thread OP

Almost finished :-)

As soon as the pilot is painted & a pair of engine cylinders are installed, she will ready for a maiden!
Weight as is, ready to fly is 6.8oz/192g with 2S-350mah lipo-should be a floater.

Dale
Feb 12, 2010, 07:17 PM
It flew once before...
Dale ,

What a beauty you whipped up there ! Really like the simple lines of this one .
Should be a great flyer ...

Best wishes with your maiden

-John

I'm going to have to clear up the sticky to make room for some of the finished builds ( 3 so far ...only one flown as of yet )
Feb 12, 2010, 09:43 PM
Very pretty. Your pictures are an inspiration. I may borrow some structural ideas from you

I got a set of plans in the original size from Bill Hannan.

Right now I have the WRAM show to contend with. Helping out at the show is mandatory for club members, but the week after next I will once again attempt to clear off some bench space. I have wood, Esaki silver tissue, several light motors and lots of tiny radio gear.

This will be an interesting experiment. I will probably use the Vapor brick, since ailerons would be a pain to install.

Pete
Last edited by PeteSchug; Feb 12, 2010 at 09:51 PM.
Feb 13, 2010, 01:57 PM
Thread OP
Thanks John-I may have time to even complete another for the 3rd build off, this time a kit-we'll see. I appreciate your time & efforts as moderator very much!

Pete, glad you were able to find plans-Bill is a super guy w/ a ton of knowledge. The Vapor brick is a great idea for the original size Brownie-keep us posted, OK?

Regards,
Dale
Feb 13, 2010, 07:02 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Thanks John-I may have time to even complete another for the 3rd build off, this time a kit-we'll see. I appreciate your time & efforts as moderator very much!

Pete, glad you were able to find plans-Bill is a super guy w/ a ton of knowledge. The Vapor brick is a great idea for the original size Brownie-keep us posted, OK?

Regards,
Dale
Looks nice. I'd start another build, since you have time. It's good to see some of these builds finished also. I thought about making the framing on my current build like yours, but the double taper talked me out of it. I like the simple, clean lines on planes like yours. I had been thinking about building a Klemm L25.
6.8oz is excellent. No way I'm getting that at 37", with sheeting.
Mar 08, 2010, 01:39 PM
Thread OP

Brownie finished

She is as finished as I'm going to do. Maiden to come as soon as the winds die down. Sorry for the RX ant. but thats how it is.
Again, thanks John for your hard work to bring us this build thread!!! You are AWESOME!

Best to all,
Dale
Mar 08, 2010, 01:45 PM
Lovely aircraft! Good luck with the maiden
Mar 08, 2010, 05:03 PM
It flew once before...
Quote:
She is as finished as I'm going to do. Maiden to come as soon as the winds die down. Sorry for the RX ant. but thats how it is.
Again, thanks John for your hard work to bring us this build thread!!! You are AWESOME!

Best to all,
Dale
Dale ,
You are most welcome ! You guys are an inspiration with your great builds . It seems to have gained in popularity this year , though I cannot say if its just people catching on or the subject for this years build .

Excellent job on completing your entry , and best wishes with your maiden when the winds die down for you !

Cheers ,
-John
Mar 09, 2010, 02:52 PM
Ascolta,

That's very nice work on your Brownie. I am, of course, insane with jealousy

How did you decide on the blue trim? I would have assumed that the color was black on the full-size Brownies.

Jim R
Mar 09, 2010, 06:32 PM
Electric Relaxation
You have managed to build a beautiful model. Fantastic work. I have been sitting on the fence for the last 3 years about weather or not I should get back into r/c. I think you just pushed me to get back into the hobby.
Mar 09, 2010, 09:30 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys.....appreciate your kind words!

Jim-I only have 2 pictures of the Brownie & they both show a color variation-possibly a grey, so I just decided to go with blue because the registration numbers were black & thought it would be nice to use a third color.

Galant-great news, now that you are off the fence, what will you build? :-)

Regards,
Dale
Mar 10, 2010, 08:49 AM
Just love the simple look of the Brownie, I bet she fly's as good as she looks!
Brad

Quick Reply