Old Jan 01, 2011, 05:37 AM
Find More Posts by shipcollector5

Here goes “to my self” Christmas Present

1/72 scale modern supply vessel /tug. Not cheap but very good quality and very complete kit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:06 AM
Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
Yes nice model mate one of my club mates is building that kit too. I almost bought one myself then I got the scratchbuilding bug an made my own!!

Put my Turnigy Wattmeter on the Tug this afternoon for a power/ampage test, I was stunned by how little current the Pittman motors draw!! The pair of them running off one ESC @ 24volts!! only draw a maximum of 0.89Amps!! and about 25watts (at Full Power).
They R great motor's and would do well in a big slow tanker/cargo ship model turning a pair of big props Hmmm I may have 2 draw something up....
As I stated in an earlier post the tug will have to be re-powered with either direct drive or 3:1 planetary gearbox & 555 sized motor's.

Cheers Bruce
Last edited by HeavyCruser9; Jan 01, 2011 at 06:31 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2011, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Hey HeavyCruiser,
My buddy has a similar sized model of the Samuel Risley, we put a pair of 550 size motors with a 2:1 gear reduction, It makes a really good scale looking wake and reasonably scale speed (maybe a little fast) He is using the cast bronze props from Dumas. Would probably work well as well for yours Cheers
G-O

There are pics of it uinderway on my Polar 8 thread and on the "Port Lambton Pond" thread i started

HAPPY NEW YEARS!
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by shipcollector5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCruser9 View Post
Yes nice model mate one of my club mates is building that kit too. I almost bought one myself then I got the scratchbuilding bug an made my own!!

Put my Turnigy Wattmeter on the Tug this afternoon for a power/ampage test, I was stunned by how little current the Pittman motors draw!! The pair of them running off one ESC @ 24volts!! only draw a maximum of 0.89Amps!! and about 25watts (at Full Power).
They R great motor's and would do well in a big slow tanker/cargo ship model turning a pair of big props Hmmm I may have 2 draw something up....
As I stated in an earlier post the tug will have to be re-powered with either direct drive or 3:1 planetary gearbox & 555 sized motor's.

Cheers Bruce
I like your work, keep it up

Stephen
Old Jan 02, 2011, 04:50 AM
Thx GO & ShipCollector5!!
Tug had a run today but I had 2 cut it short due 2 some freq. clash's with some one else.
A mate should be e-mailing me some pix of her in action ( I Forgot!! DOH!!)
Definitely re-powering her these pittmans R great but just not right for this project back into the spares collection or Ebay..

Cheers Bruce
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:35 AM
Been along time since an update on the tug!! Just got a new pair of motors from Canada a pair brand new direct drive Pittmans for $15ea! Still need 2 get some 4mm brass fittings to hook em up and waiting on a new ESC to turn up 2 replace the one that is half dead[only goes one way!] Got out 2 the Shed over the Easter weekend and started cutting out the deck's for her out of 3mm ply managed 2 get a bit done before my achy breaky wrist began 2 feel a bit sore.

Here are some pic's from current progress...

Bruce
Old Apr 27, 2011, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Sea Dragon-Lover
That's looking seaworthy.

Are there any more of those motors available?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 02:28 PM
Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Lookin' Real Good Bruce!
Should be real nice to manoeuvre around the pond.

Cheers
Travis
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:19 PM
Thx Guys,
G-O gave her a test run in January with the old drive setup and she steer's sweetly, that was running both motors off 1 ESC, so I couldn't try any 'Tank' steering might still fit a small bow thruster before final completion.

Umi check out www.eaelec.com

Cheers Bruce
Old May 04, 2011, 02:43 AM
The replacement ESC turned up today, So I set about installing it for a test run of both new motors in the test tank.....after waiting 2+ hours for the leaky tank 2 fill. I tethered the tug to the end of the tank and ran the motors up to full power. They look like they will do the job, now I need 2 take her 2 the lake for a full lake test run (after I fit some fuses)

Cheers Bruce
Old May 04, 2011, 11:48 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
So what was your bollard pull with those pittmans in direct drive?

Old May 05, 2011, 09:05 AM
Good Question !! I will look around for a Fish weighing scales (the dodad with a hook on 1 end and handle on other end) and hook it up 2 the tow line. Also want 2 do a Amp's check with my watt meter on each motor.
Did ya check out the link 2 the motors??

Cheers Bruce
Old May 05, 2011, 01:40 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Yes I did, thank you.
They are very similar to some Pittman motors I have, but I think your's
may have a bit more RPM.

Old May 05, 2011, 08:42 PM
Mine are hooked up to 60mm 3 bladed plastic props in the Robbe kort nozzles that I will replace with 4 bladed brass 'proper' kort LHD & RHD props later (the plastic props are both RHD).
Running her at full power for ten minutes the Pittman's didn't even get warm.

Cheers Bruce
Old May 06, 2011, 03:54 AM
Just completed some testing with the Wattmeter: Port motor pulls 0.4Amps no load@full throttle 12volts, and under load pulls 3.05Amps@12volt, 38watts
Starboard motor: no load 0.38Amps and under load 2.89Amps@12v, 40watts

Cheers Bruce