Jan 27, 2010, 12:20 AM
Thread OP
Help!

Modify Navigation Code in Paparazzi Autopilot

Thanks in advance for any help anybody can provide.

The project:
Design and fly an autonomous glider which will seek out its own thermals. We are using the Paparazzi autopilot because of cost, and the experience available online.

About me and my project:
I'm a senior at the University of Arizona studying Aerospace Engineering. I have some coding experience, and am fairly intelligent. I have done some research, along with trying to follow the function calls, but my eyes have gone crossed several times trying to figure this stuff out. I have already been able to download all the file, compile the autopilot, and have run the basic simulation. The next few steps are a bit beyond my current knowledge.

For starters:
I've searched for some type of function call hierarchy for Paparazzi, but have been unable to find anything. So if there is something out there that anybody knows about I would really appreciate it. This would really help me isolate where I need to add functions to allow the navigation within Paparazzi to create its own waypoints while in midflight.

My Problem:
1) Paparazzi can be used for a glider, but I need to change the autopilot to use an airspeed sensor and then modify the code to maintain airspeed rather than controlling climb rate. I have no idea what function does this, and would appreciate help as to what function/s I might need to change to accomplish this goal.

2) I am also looking to create a few functions. I need to add an algorithm to move a waypoint to an estimated center of a thermal. I'm not sure which function I should use, but I think it needs to be added to nav.c.

3) Finally, I need to add an algorithm to allow the path taken by the glider to weave back and forth on its way to a waypoint, rather than flying straight to the waypoint. This is a technique used to find thermals.

If any more information is required from me feel free to reply to this thread, and I'll get the information the best I can.

I think that I might need to add an entirely new navigation mode, but if I can avoid it by using information from the forum I wouldn't complain.

Again thanks for any help anybody can offer.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2010, 07:01 AM
FREEdom!!
Pascal on the mailing list is probably going to be your best bet with an answer about adding waypoints ad-hoc. But I believe there is already functionality to use an airspeed sensor.
Jan 27, 2010, 09:52 AM
jvs84,
I would love to give you a hand with this. As a UofA alumni these projects always peak my interest. I will PM you my email, email me so we can discuss how to do what you need.

AJ Kochevar
Jan 27, 2010, 04:59 PM
FrankC
Do a Google search for this phrase: "Updraft Model for Development of Autonomous Soaring" There is an article with that title which will come up first, but there will be a bunch of other links as well. You can probably pull some good info from these articles.
Feb 03, 2010, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the document Frank, another member of my team is working the algorithm design and will find this useful.

Quick Reply