This thread is privately moderated by tedmo, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 22, 2015, 10:41 AM
Systems Test Engineer Amateur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus Flyer
Bert, from wikepedia,

Dutch
Hoewel zelfs in Duitsland het verhaal gaat dat benzine afgeleid zou zijn van de naam Benz, bestond in werkelijkheid de term benzine al voordat Benz de auto had uitgevonden (1885).

English
Although even in Germany the story goes that benzine would be derived from the name Benz, in reality the term benzine was there even before Benz invented the automobile (1885).

Benzine-engine?

In 1864 developed the Austrian Siegfried Markus the first ''benzinemotor'' of the world.

Taurus Flyer
Thanks for the history . I had also heard the "Benz" story often . Good to see the correction . However is it possible the Benz family still had something to do with the term ?
Last edited by Gary Cee; Apr 22, 2015 at 10:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2015, 12:25 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Cee
Thanks for the history . I had also heard the "Benz" story often . Good to see the correction . However is it possible the Benz family still had something to do with the term ?
No Gary, read for example this note, this is general known,

Cees
Apr 22, 2015, 12:28 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
The interesting other aspect of automobiles .... in early days - many actually ran on Wood Alcohol or Spirit ... not gasoline.

Todays Gasoline is not what people think as it is made up of many different products blended to produce a Gasoline product. And before people even consider arguing - I blend the stuff and have done it for many years ... US, Caribbean, African and EU market specs.,

Nigel

Nigel
Apr 22, 2015, 12:33 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:

Cees
And to correct a misunderstood aspect of WIKIPEDIA .....

WIKIPEDIA is ion fact editable by USERS online .... it is not always the factual base that many believe.
I don't say its wrong in this case, just commenting that Wikipedia is really not such a reliable source to quote.

On the subject of Automobiles .... there is a lot of controversy over who produced the first real workable model .... the Germans and French as well as others lay claim to it ... It depends on what you call Automobile and its definition.

Nigel
Apr 22, 2015, 01:28 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
The interesting other aspect of automobiles .... in early days - many actually ran on Wood Alcohol or Spirit ... not gasoline.

Todays Gasoline is not what people think as it is made up of many different products blended to produce a Gasoline product. And before people even consider arguing - I blend the stuff and have done it for many years ... US, Caribbean, African and EU market specs.,

Nigel

Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
And to correct a misunderstood aspect of WIKIPEDIA .....

WIKIPEDIA is ion fact editable by USERS online .... it is not always the factual base that many believe.
I don't say its wrong in this case, just commenting that Wikipedia is really not such a reliable source to quote.

On the subject of Automobiles .... there is a lot of controversy over who produced the first real workable model .... the Germans and French as well as others lay claim to it ... It depends on what you call Automobile and its definition.

Nigel

Have a nice day Nigel, nice weather in the Netherlands!
Apr 22, 2015, 01:38 PM
Systems Test Engineer Amateur
Quote:

Cees
OK so it is not a Wiki-anomaly . History clearly indicates the Benz/Benzine story we often hear is not correct . Better to see the chronology and realize the actual story .

Thanks
Jun 10, 2019, 06:37 PM
I have been patiently waiting, guess the time has come to tell at least 99.99% of you that if you are referring to our latest allowable frequency as 2.4 Gigahertz, pronouncing it with a hard "G", like in Good Great, Gizmo, etc ,you are WRONG!
In the complex world of electronics, and long before 2.4 GHz came into our world, Giga,
which is actually one billion Hertz (cycles) is pronounced as "Jiga", as in giant.
So if you have a new radio, it is probably radiating on 2.4 JigaHertz.
More history. Over 50 years ago, I was using TRIPLE conversion receivers for hamming.
I remember also that the British were to first to use frequencies in what turned out to be UHF (Ultra High Frequency - 300 - 3000 MHz), a step up from VHF (Very High Frequency - 30 -300 MHz). They referred to the higher ones as VHFI (Very High Frequency Indeed!. Eloy (W1DBN)
Sep 14, 2019, 01:04 PM
Perpetual Novice
I just have to add this...
In the US (not universal worldwide) I enjoy fling on 6-meter frequency allocations for amateur radio; the band ranges from 50 MHz to 54 MHz.
The 6-meter band is the lowest portion of the very high frequency radio spectrum.

Reminds me of the mess electronic component manufacturers got into in naming the ever progression of Op-Amps: Fast, Fastest, Ultra Fast then on to Damn Fast. Always trying to up-sell the market.
Oct 10, 2019, 06:00 PM
Oxford Panic
Quote:
Originally Posted by EloyM
I have been patiently waiting, guess the time has come to tell at least 99.99% of you that if you are referring to our latest allowable frequency as 2.4 Gigahertz, pronouncing it with a hard "G", like in Good Great, Gizmo, etc ,you are WRONG!
In the complex world of electronics, and long before 2.4 GHz came into our world, Giga,
which is actually one billion Hertz (cycles) is pronounced as "Jiga", as in giant.
So if you have a new radio, it is probably radiating on 2.4 JigaHertz.

The only person who pronounces it as "Jiga" Dr. Emmett Brown in Back to the Future. By common acceptance it is now pronounced "Giga"

A.

Quick Reply