Jan 25, 2010, 10:47 AM
I eat glue
So you've got the fuse all built now, just haven't posted the pics right?

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeal bad snowstorm today, I get to stay home! Downside, gotta work from home. For a little while, then I get to play with airplanes
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2010, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
The fuselage isn't done yet, but I did get the vertical and horizontal stabs built. Had to stop and fix the furnace, so didn't get the fuse started.

PAT
Jan 25, 2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
Had to stop and fix the furnace, so didn't get the fuse started. PAT
What, did it drop down below 80? Brrrrrr.......
Jan 25, 2010, 01:56 PM
I eat glue
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky
What, did it drop down below 80? Brrrrrr.......
Oh yeah, like yer gettin winter out there in the far west. I've got snow up to my wazoo,and let me tell ya, it's getting cold too.

Might as well sell my jet kits, everytime I think I'm gonna start one, Pat comes out with another design I have to have.
Last edited by baldguy; Jan 25, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Jan 25, 2010, 09:35 PM
Thread OP

Framing the Tail Feathers

The vertical and horizontal stabs on the Stinson are huge, so decided to go with an airfoil section on both. The spars lay flat on the board, while the LE and TE are simmed up to the centerline. The ribs are added using stock strip wood, then the airfoil shape sanded into the ribs.

PAT
Jan 25, 2010, 09:42 PM
Cut it twice, still too short
Airfoiled tail feathers, it just gets better and better Keep it coming Pat.

Doug
Jan 25, 2010, 09:59 PM
Flat tail feathers would be unstinsonlike !! Oh boy, can't wait !!!! I'm gonna use simulated mohair for the seats and wall panels, maybe a polished wood instrument panel and 3-spoke "steering wheels".
Jan 25, 2010, 11:42 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Flat tail feathers would be unstinsonlike !! Oh boy, can't wait !!!! I'm gonna use simulated mohair for the seats and wall panels, maybe a polished wood instrument panel and 3-spoke "steering wheels".
Would you go as far as silk and dope for the cover and finish? Personally, I have yet to try silk and dope, but there's always a first time, yes?

James
Jan 26, 2010, 10:20 AM
Very cool E, maybe welded chain steering wheels and some fuzzy dice hanging from the ceiling?

Doug
Jan 26, 2010, 10:26 AM
I eat glue
Personaly, I think silk would be too strong for these light structures. I use silkspan, and pre-shrink it twice before putting it on. I then pin everything down for 24 hours. Haven't had any twisting on the L-4 yet, and it's been out in minus 20c and plus 30c.
Jan 26, 2010, 11:04 AM
WOW! uh I am getting in on this one, have to love that wing. Where to buy? Horizon, DUmas, Dare?? WHere?
Jan 26, 2010, 11:50 AM
As much as I like scale-like opaque coverings, I'll use light-weight iron-on film covering for it's lightness, limited shrink/warping qualties and ease of patching. One problem, the two tone color scheme of the wings requires putting iron-on over iron-on covering without wrinklesand bubbles. I had Callie make me up stick-on vinyl trim for my little Berkeley Aeronca Sedan to avoid the problem. Ideas on this subject are welcome.
Jan 26, 2010, 02:03 PM
E, ever tried the windex method? I did on my supercub and so far nothing has come loose. Just cut your trim piece, spray the backside good with windex and position, then squeegee out the excess. Just be sure to let it dry for a few days at least. I then just used some heat around the edges to seal it down good. Doesn't work too well on compound curves though since there's no shrink.

Doug
Jan 26, 2010, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglo
E, ever tried the windex method? I did on my supercub and so far nothing has come loose. Just cut your trim piece, spray the backside good with windex and position, then squeegee out the excess. Just be sure to let it dry for a few days at least. I then just used some heat around the edges to seal it down good. Doesn't work too well on compound curves though since there's no shrink.

Doug
Thanks, should help at least on flat areas , not so sure about certain curved areas between wing ribs.
Jan 26, 2010, 02:22 PM
Looks very nice I am on board for this build.
Joe

Quick Reply