Mar 11, 2010, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
E- The only real difference between the 8, 9, & 10 is the windsheild, so the mod to the earlier model will be a snap.

PAT
to remove ads between posts
Mar 11, 2010, 03:23 PM
Great thread! Love the Stinson. Mine's just a little bigger
Mar 11, 2010, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
Great thread! Love the Stinson. Mine's just a little bigger
Great looking model, Steve. How about posting your avatar picture, too!

Pete G.
Mar 13, 2010, 12:19 AM
Thread OP

Wheel Pant Fairings

Like with the upper landing gear fairings, the wheel pants are also done using wedges fore and aft, with an upper and lower paper fairing section. As with the upper LG fairing, the patterns for all the parts will be provided on the plans.
Mar 13, 2010, 12:21 AM
Thread OP

Lower Strut Fairings

The lower strut fairings considt of the base, two wedges, plus the top and bottom paper parts.
Mar 13, 2010, 04:46 PM
Pat, the colors on your Stinson look wounderful!! Diana Cream and Dark Green fit the bill perfectly. Also looks like Gold pinstriping. Beautiful!!! Can't wait to see the "N" numbers in place. Looking forward to hearing about the maiden flight (which will be no problem).

The Yank

Pat, hope you don't mind me posting up a couple pics of my Standard. BTW, my Standard does a fair loop.
Mar 13, 2010, 09:57 PM
I eat glue
Nice Yank, is your Standard, Standard
Mar 14, 2010, 08:34 AM
Thread OP
Yank, Come on in anytime.... AQnd BTW, the Standard looks GREAT in the air!!!

PAT
Mar 14, 2010, 04:00 PM
Any plans to attach the cowl? I made a ring that is fiberglassed to the inside of the cowl, positioned against the firewall. mounting screws go inside.
Mar 14, 2010, 04:55 PM
Thread OP

Mounting the Cowl and Fitting the Windshield

The cowl was mounted using 3, 1/2" sq. 1/4" bass wood blocks glued to the firewall. The cowl was then screwed in place with small servo screws.

The windshield frame turned out to be wrong, so had to move the forward pillar to elininate a bend in the panel that wasn't supposed to be there. Once that was done, the panels were cut to shape, glued in place and trimmed in gold.
Mar 14, 2010, 04:56 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Graphics

As always, Callie did a great job printing the graphics!!!
Mar 14, 2010, 05:02 PM
Thread OP

Adding the Finishing Touches

A bit of paint was used to highlight the radial engine, then the prop was added and the model ballanced. Will start with an APC 12-6E and see what happens.Turns out that the battery heeded to go all the way forward for CG, so a second hatch was added to the fuselage bottom. The original hatch will remain in place for servo and Rx access.

In the end with the 2500 mah 2S battery, the Stinson tips the scales at 27.8 oz. -- a little lighter then I had expected. The only thing left to do now is fly!!!
Mar 14, 2010, 05:05 PM
Thread OP

Sometimes the Weather Man Just Won't Cooperate

Got out Friday morning to try for a test flight or two, but the winds just wouldn't let up. Was able to get a few static ground shots between squalls, but not a chance for flying. Will keep an eye out for a good day and duck out as soon as one happens -- won't be today though, the snow hasn't let up all day. Too warm to stick, but lots of wet and sloppy.

PAT
Mar 14, 2010, 05:09 PM
Spot on, Mr. Pat!!

Trey
Mar 14, 2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle

In the end with the 2500 mah 2S battery, the Stinson tips the scales at 27.8 oz. -- a little lighter then I had expected. The only thing left to do now is fly!!!
Now this is a heavy plane for you Pat! Most of yours are 15 - 20 oz at the most!

Quick Reply