Aug 01, 2011, 09:07 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Daniel - is it a side mounted carb? Those had some issues.
Last edited by waynemia; Aug 01, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2011, 05:43 AM
Montana Transplant
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Daniel - is it a side mounted carb? Those had some issues.
Yes it is...

I'll go back out tomorrow, cut the cowl, change the plug to NGK, get some 100LL from the airport, check mixture...fly high ( dead stick make the runway zone), see what happens...

I may try without cowl too...
Aug 02, 2011, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer View Post
Yes it is...

I'll go back out tomorrow, cut the cowl, change the plug to NGK, get some 100LL from the airport, check mixture...fly high ( dead stick make the runway zone), see what happens...

I may try without cowl too...
You might search RCG on the 30 to find the information on the side-mount carb.

They made a conversion kit for it.
Aug 02, 2011, 08:34 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Okay just caught up on all the lingo and vids Pheeeewwwww I hate when I'm away for so long but at least i get to do some3 serious laughing while catching up.

In Short
Great Vids and a special thanks to David for allowing us to see his secret Patch hat that was a great FPV T40 vid Nice job. And I'm a hat guy Love the hat for sure. LOL

I think its terrible when great flyers refuse to help anyone, maybe some just aren't asked to help, but I usually walk right up and ask any newby or new person at our club if they want me to take them up to get adjusted, trimmed out or lessons. Its just a common curtosy I think. But then again I'm not a great flyer so maybe my head isn't that big LOL

Good to see everyone again this is a tough summer to stay caught up on, We are renovating our kitchen right now so its all tore down and then we are camping for a week soon, hell its kind of like were camping now LOL
We were going to rent a pop up camper and then my uncle heard we going to do that so he offerd his 22 foot camper fully loaded to use, so were taking that up to the campground and then they are coming up the day we are leaving and going to camp at the same site And tow it back so I just had to go buy a nice tow hitch assembly as his was too low for my van to use.

Anyway I'm Still flying every Saturday its good to see some posts from missing people and new people And sooner or later I can get back to a normal life,,, LOL Maybe this is normal for me. LOL
Aug 02, 2011, 08:49 AM
Finished my slick last night and did one 8 oz tank through the DLE 30. The motor ran great but was WAY too rich on factory settings. Mad some adjustments and ran perfect. Seemed to peak at about 7200 on the 20x6 so I set it for slightly below that and adjusted the low end. No burbling (on the ground anyway) and runs great!! I am running 93 Octane and Stihl HP Ultra oil at 32:1 as per Jodi at VVRC.

Wayne, I may take your advice and keep the cowl off for a few flights.

Now, the sad part is, I have to work the WHOLE damn wekeend so looks like a maiden next weekend
Aug 02, 2011, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1 View Post
I usually want to make a few adjustments and having the cowl off is nice for that. Also, if you do have and issue and land a little awkwardly, that cowl is safely tucked away in the car.
Aug 02, 2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I usually want to make a few adjustments and having the cowl off is nice for that. Also, if you do have and issue and land a little awkwardly, that cowl is safely tucked away in the car.
+1 to that; it also helps to run without the cowl first and get it running nicely; then put on the cowl; if you have issues then, you know they are (probably) related to airflow/cooling.
Aug 02, 2011, 10:00 AM
10-4 guys...thanks for the tip!!
Aug 02, 2011, 03:21 PM
Question!

Why do a lot of people seem to assume higher octane fuel will make better power/run better on gas r/c engines? I could be wrong, but I assumed the lower octane would be better due to the fact that it's easier to ignite. We aren't fighting detonation, so what's the point to running higher octane? Especially low-lead aircraft fuel? It seems overkill in a way that would reduce performance and reliability...

-Eric
Aug 02, 2011, 03:28 PM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Low lead aircraft fuel has a LOT of lead, .5 gm/liter, 4 times as much lead as LL gasoline before they phased it out. On the otherhand, it doesn't go bad and doesn't have ethanol, and it smells much better than regular gasoline. My snowmobile's recommend octane is 87 minimum, but my weedwhacker says best to use 92.
Aug 02, 2011, 03:29 PM
Montana Transplant
My reason has nothing to do with octane. It has to do with the evap and odor quality of avgas for storage. Drain tank, run it dry, in 30 min all residue is gone. Safe to store plane indoors.
Last edited by mt_flyer; Aug 02, 2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: iphone and small buttons
Aug 02, 2011, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04
Question!

Why do a lot of people seem to assume higher octane fuel will make better power/run better on gas r/c engines? I could be wrong, but I assumed the lower octane would be better due to the fact that it's easier to ignite. We aren't fighting detonation, so what's the point to running higher octane? Especially low-lead aircraft fuel? It seems overkill in a way that would reduce performance and reliability...

-Eric
The Ethanol is a good reason to use avgas. The manual in the DLE-30 specifies 87-93 octane and 30:1 oil.
Aug 02, 2011, 04:11 PM
Hardrock Miner
Daniel, I made my first trip to Great Falls last Saturday. It's pretty nice up there. Now I know a nice scenic way up there when you get back in the country.
Aug 02, 2011, 05:52 PM
Montana Transplant
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacklegchris
Daniel, I made my first trip to Great Falls last Saturday. It's pretty nice up there. Now I know a nice scenic way up there when you get back in the country.

did you go thru Helena or over Kings Hill... Monarch area....
Aug 02, 2011, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschulz
Not sure what you mean by "crackles" but if that is anything like the "high speed miss" that I've described, Jody at VVRC had an easy suggestion for me and my DLE-30 issue: adjust the spark plug gap to 0.025 and make sure you use the NGK plug, not the standard plug that DLE ships with the DLE-30. The stock plug from DLE is garbage and should be thrown out. The standard gap on the NGK appears to be about 0.020 - increasing the gap on mine virtually eliminated the "high speed miss" that I was experiencing.

Kerwin(50) also suggested making sure the spark plug boot is fully and securely attached (this can be difficult with the DLE-30 unless you double check it).

The other suggestion which I have not tried yet is to use higher octane gas. Right now I'm using low-grade (87 octane) gas; my next gallon will be premium...since it uses so little gas, it will be worth it to use the highest possible octane gas available.

Hope this helps.

I'd love to see some photos of your 30cc Yak!

-Mike
Odd about the gap setting. The manual calls for .018 to .020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFan1
Finished my slick last night and did one 8 oz tank through the DLE 30. The motor ran great but was WAY too rich on factory settings. Mad some adjustments and ran perfect. Seemed to peak at about 7200 on the 20x6 so I set it for slightly below that and adjusted the low end. No burbling (on the ground anyway) and runs great!! I am running 93 Octane and Stihl HP Ultra oil at 32:1 as per Jodi at VVRC.

Now, the sad part is, I have to work the WHOLE damn wekeend so looks like a maiden next weekend
DLE recommends 93 octane. How did you decide on the 20x6 prop? That is a lighter load than any of the recommended props.

Quick Reply