May 25, 2011, 09:42 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Good advice Brathanke, I think we all tend to watch the tail feathers when we first start the hover process, especially when trying it with a T_ _ _ T LOL once you watch the canopy or nose it does become easier

Glad to hear your alright K49 thats still awefull close to home though

CRFan the Twistaholics google map is a map of all the T_ _ _ Taholics and their locations. So if your ever in any area there is probably a Twistaholic brother near by you could find. We are now our own fraternity Kind of like an Elks club LOL

U2 nice find on the glasses, I think I just saw that same kit in this months edition of AMA and it caught my attention with the 4 sets of clip on shades and case lol Excellent.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2011, 10:52 PM
well, this weather has kept me inside for the better part of two weeks now. The good side of that is I've been able to work on my SU-26m powered by a DLE-30. I think she's ready for her first engine start. If that goes well and all the systems check out, then I'll start thinking about the maiden flight. I'm nervous about the maiden because this is the biggest plane I've ever put together. But, I didn't buy the plane just to look at it!
If the weather doesn't break soon, I'll be forced to pull the magnum .91 off my T__T 60 and put on the Saito 1.15!
May 25, 2011, 11:09 PM
3d NOOBular
I just got done putting the OS FS 91 surpass on the 40 size edge. I had to rotate the engine mount so I could mount it inverted. That sucker takes up so much space compared to the 2 strokes that have graced it so far. I am going to have to enlarge my canopy baffle for it as well because the head protrudes out the bottom. I can't wait to start it up and see how it runs. It is nice because the engine came with a 90 deg muffler extension so I have the muffler coming all the way down underneath the fuse. It looks sweet. I'll take a couple pics when I get a chance.

My only concern now is going to be that the edge is going to be pretty heavy as far as wing loading is concerned but that is actually an advantage on a few select 3d moves I'd like to be able to pull with it. I think some weight in the tail is going to be unavoidable.
May 25, 2011, 11:29 PM
Boy this thread has been hoping
I'm not in as much pain as It was but I don'tr know about flying as I can only use 1 stick for now but hopefuly it'll heal enough by sunday to fly.
I'm hoping to get the MX ready by then.
I ended up with a few holes in the covering and 1 dented up wing tip and some leading edge sheeting at the wing tips on both sides.
I may have some minor damage to 1 aileron.

Now with the pain meds I'm taking I'm flying high and I havn't left the apartment.
Good Night
May 26, 2011, 12:35 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I just got done putting the OS FS 91 surpass on the 40 size edge. I had to rotate the engine mount so I could mount it inverted. That sucker takes up so much space compared to the 2 strokes that have graced it so far. I am going to have to enlarge my canopy baffle for it as well because the head protrudes out the bottom. I can't wait to start it up and see how it runs. It is nice because the engine came with a 90 deg muffler extension so I have the muffler coming all the way down underneath the fuse. It looks sweet. I'll take a couple pics when I get a chance.

My only concern now is going to be that the edge is going to be pretty heavy as far as wing loading is concerned but that is actually an advantage on a few select 3d moves I'd like to be able to pull with it. I think some weight in the tail is going to be unavoidable.
Add the battery hatch in the rear and avoid the lead. I cut the cheeks off the TT models. It makes engine access easier and it is unnecessary weight anyway.
May 26, 2011, 07:58 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
MSchulz that is about the only good thing about bad weather It helps us get our planes ready. LOL Here in the north country wee get a little longer over the winter to finish such things but it still seems like crunch time come opening season LOL can't wait to see the vids of the maiden

Brathanke 2 words Yippie Kai yeahhhhh wahoooooo go didddly doo,,, okay thats like 5 or 7 words depending on legal definitive words or not.

Kerwin Glad your not in too much pain, Fly high my friend all you need is one thumb to fly, Power on fly the elevator aileron until the tank runs dry land and do it again
May 26, 2011, 10:30 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Putting a Magnum 91XLS on this Extra 300 funky Nitro Planes thing. I noticed the Magnum motor has a half moon keyway in the prop backing plate.... Well the key word here is HAD..... Now I got to figure out where to get a replacement.

Has this thread been dead all day?
May 27, 2011, 12:23 AM
The half-moon thing is called a 'woodruff key' and is probably not too hard to find at a good hardware store somewhere if you look hard enough. I've never had to find one but it's a standard part usually.

Also, I went autocrossing again.
Mazda 3 Autocross Yoder 5/22/2011 (1 min 7 sec)

I need to get this Decathlon done and off the bench so I can fix the tail on my Twist... I'm getting tired of flying the trainer with its lamesauce inconsistent Saito.

Speaking of which, anyone got ideas on that? My Saito 56 won't hold a tune. It's floating everywhere. I should probably put o-rings in it and I think it's got an exhaust leak but still... lol.

-Eric
May 27, 2011, 02:25 AM
3d NOOBular
Just some goofing off pics since nobody is posting very much...

Cool vid Eric. Was that you driving? It looks like fun for sure.

here are some pics of my new (used) OS 91 installed on the 40 size edge. It's funny cuz the plane is already heavy enough but there I go sticking another huge engine on it haha. I still consider myself pretty novice at putting planes together and making them look and function well. I took some words of advice from everyone from my last 4 stroke install though and did a "U" bend for the throttle linkage.
May 27, 2011, 07:23 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Thread OP
Flew my 35% Extra yesterday for the first time in a while. Three flights and three deadsticks! The last one resulted in a flipped over airplane when I didnt make the field. A heli guy was taking off and I tried to buy too much time. Luckily there is no apparent damage! I thought it was just too lean for the new climate but now I think I have a fuel delivery problem. I will telling the tank at the very least.

Driving up to be with my family for the weekend! I can't wait to see my girls!

Have a great weekend everyone and be sure to post lots of vids!!!!
May 27, 2011, 07:25 AM
Suspended Account

I'm back
May 27, 2011, 07:48 AM
I probably should of done the U bend on the throttle linkage when I put a magnum 70 on my brother's mustang.

I took the mummy wrappings of my thumb today. It only hurts when I put moderate pressure on it now. So I may be able to fly by sunday.

Heres some pic's of my thumb the next day after momma cleaned it up some before putting a new dressing on it.

I got 1 wing tip repaired on the MX but I still got to fix some minor cracks in the sheeting on the other wing's wing tip and an Aileron. then I got to repair a few holes in her. I'm now going to have to let the holes determine the decals.

I don't know if I can get this all done as I've been very busy. I had my grandson help me fix my brothers horn on his 260 Z and turn wrenches for me under my directions.
Now I'm getting swamped helping this guy clean carpets and flood damage. I gotta go to work later on this morning.
May 27, 2011, 08:01 AM
Good flying day yesterday. Two Funjet Ultra crashes, and One Funtana gear rip-off (bolt fell out). Three more training flights on the Funjet.

Winds forecase for the entire weekend. I guess I will mow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Putting a Magnum 91XLS on this Extra 300 funky Nitro Planes thing. I noticed the Magnum motor has a half moon keyway in the prop backing plate.... Well the key word here is HAD..... Now I got to figure out where to get a replacement.

Has this thread been dead all day?
Yea, woodruff key. You could order a new one. This is the part number: S91218 Woodruff Key
http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/part/210806.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccardude04 View Post
The half-moon thing is called a 'woodruff key' and is probably not too hard to find at a good hardware store somewhere if you look hard enough. I've never had to find one but it's a standard part usually.

Also, I went autocrossing again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ud7Q...el_video_title

I need to get this Decathlon done and off the bench so I can fix the tail on my Twist... I'm getting tired of flying the trainer with its lamesauce inconsistent Saito.

Speaking of which, anyone got ideas on that? My Saito 56 won't hold a tune. It's floating everywhere. I should probably put o-rings in it and I think it's got an exhaust leak but still... lol.

-Eric
Old fuel? Low Nitro? Air Leak? Low fuel pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Flew my 35% Extra yesterday for the first time in a while. Three flights and three deadsticks! The last one resulted in a flipped over airplane when I didnt make the field. A heli guy was taking off and I tried to buy too much time. Luckily there is no apparent damage! I thought it was just too lean for the new climate but now I think I have a fuel delivery problem. I will telling the tank at the very least.

Driving up to be with my family for the weekend! I can't wait to see my girls!

Have a great weekend everyone and be sure to post lots of vids!!!!
It may be time to clean the carb Plow, complete tear down, small wire through every orifice, and the internal screen. Check or just replace the diapram. I had to do my DLE 50 a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post

I'm back
Hi
May 27, 2011, 08:07 AM
I was musing yesterday...

When you put a plane together, maybe I should just slap it all together, no worries for cosmetics.

I can always make it pretty about the third repair.
May 27, 2011, 09:31 AM
Wayne, it's a fresh bottle of 30% heli fuel. It was much worse on 15%, to the point where I couldn't make it run an entire tank of fuel. I'm thinking about putting a check valve in the exhaust line just to see what happens. Problem is it'll flood like a mofo when the engine isn't running I'm sure.

I may just put new gaskets in everything and re-seal the crap out of the exhaust. I put some copper RTV on it the other day but it didn't seem to help. I did get anxious and fire it up before it was cured though.

brathanke: Yeah it's me. Another hobby to cost me money LOL.

-Eric

Quick Reply