Apr 21, 2011, 08:48 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFD27
Just want to tahnk you guys again for the help. My throws on the twist initially were over 2.5" both ways and the weight was so bad off all it wanted to do was hover. After ripping the gear off by hard landing, I have decided to go ahead an run the .55ax with a 12.25x3.75 apc sport and move the CG up to 4" ble. Adding a dubro flex gear and after i set the proper throws it should fly wonderfully. I will definately stay in toch ang gather more pointers in the near future!
Nope, the 55AX needs more prop. You will need a 13x4W, 13x5, or maybe a 14x4.

Someone here is running a 55AX. I don't remember the prop choice.

I like the stock gear myself. Mine fell off once.

Barbie Loses Her Wheels (0 min 29 sec)
Last edited by waynemia; Apr 21, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2011, 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt_flyer
went flying with a friend today...
had a dead stick landing and had to be towed it
Where can I get one of those?

Quote:
I have a pitts on mine... had to plug off one side to get enough back presure to run right..
Yea, Frank has a reduced the tubes on the 95AX on his Dragon Lady to get enough pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966
Sounds like the st is sucking air, or just plain sucking! Lol
I think so too. Leaking at the HSN, where the carb meets the case, or perhaps the spraybar. Man, I do know the frustration.

You should be blowing a ton of fuel out the pipe.

Hmmmm... I have an OS91FX with a MACS muffler that will fit a Twist 60.
Apr 21, 2011, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia
Send it to me Bill.
Okay! I'll send it to you, get me your address. it is blowing fuel like I have a smoke system on it. The OS 91FX sounds good too!!
Last edited by billd76; Apr 21, 2011 at 09:20 PM.
Apr 21, 2011, 09:15 PM
Montana Transplant
Quote:
Where can I get one of those?
just outside the "back gate" to Groom Lake aka; area 51 I think there are a few more larger one at Groom Lake
Apr 21, 2011, 09:29 PM
Quote:
just outside the "back gate" to Groom Lake aka; area 51 I think there are a few more larger one at Groom Lake
While contemplating my lighting setup for my night EZ*, One idea was to make a wire hoop that I could rig with LEDs and cycling EL lights. Maybe I could get some UFO reports.

By the way, we are literally burning up down here.
Apr 21, 2011, 10:00 PM
Montana Transplant
Quote:
While contemplating my lighting setup for my night EZ*, One idea was to make a wire hoop that I could rig with LEDs and cycling EL lights. Maybe I could get some UFO reports.

By the way, we are literally burning up down here.
we think alot alike along the "ufo light" idea...

I've been reading about your fires there...pretty bad out there..
Apr 21, 2011, 11:14 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Yeah wayne you guys are burning up, I hope you have the waffle batter already made up. and good luck.

Plow good to see you posting. must mean your close to having a few things unpacked.

I think we all need a UFO

The 91FX Purrs

Balsa LOL I tried that on my US 1000 I think it made the ST mad LOL

Billd I hear ya about spending more cash on it but Wayne will get you running he'll buy that St from you and you can buy a nice OS kidding LOL
Apr 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
I'd run a 13/4 on that AX 55
bill you can't go wrong with that JBA 15.
Maybe Wayne can help you,
I had the same problem with a buddies ST 91 and it took alot of fiddling an tunning.
I backed the ls out enough to where I could seat the HS, then backed it out 2 turns, then did the blow test while setting the ls. Then with the engine running I max out the HS and back it of 3 clicks and then work alittle on the ls al the time checking my hs setting.
Apr 22, 2011, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe
Billd I hear ya about spending more cash on it but Wayne will get you running he'll buy that St from you and you can buy a nice OS kidding LOL
I currently have two OS91FX engines on the shelf. Don't think I need another engine in that size. I am trying to pare down the fleet. Maybe I should put a 91fx on the Kadet Senior. I was planning to put a Saito 82 on it but maybe... I have an ST40 NIB. I want to sell it with a NIB trainer ARF I have.

Oh, I ordered one of those GP .25 Corsair combat planes that you hand launch and belly land. I have an OS 25 for it. I am guessing you kill the engine just before landing to keep from breaking a prop?

Three of us went to the field yesterday afternoon. I flew my Mini-swift, finally received the replacement props. I also made two video flights on my Slow Stick. There are a few glimpses of the other planes. I also have a little inverted flight, some loops, and some hammer heads. My little flying wing was kind of anemic. I changed props and I will try it again when the wind is not as strong. If we can get a nice day to fly, I will get the TT60 out with the JBA15 and have some fun. I still have not made the changes to the big YAK.

I started the "Night Star". I completed the initial sanding. I am putting a yellow LED strip inside the fuse. It lights it up very well. I will beusing iron-on covering on the top and bottom of these wings. I have 21st Century Coverlite for it. I did the bottoms of one set it it worked well. I think it strengthens the wings for postive G loading. I am building a spare set of stock wings. These will let me have a more streamlined plane for day flights.

Looks like I have the Avistar Select sold for delivery today.
Last edited by waynemia; Apr 22, 2011 at 07:46 AM.
Apr 22, 2011, 08:23 AM
Quote:
I currently have two OS91FX engines on the shelf. Don't think I need another engine in that size. I am trying to pare down the fleet. Maybe I should put a 91fx on the Kadet Senior. I was planning to put a Saito 82 on it but maybe... I have an ST40 NIB. I want to sell it with a NIB trainer ARF I have.

Oh, I ordered one of those GP .25 Corsair combat planes that you hand launch and belly land. I have an OS 25 for it. I am guessing you kill the engine just before landing to keep from breaking a prop?

Three of us went to the field yesterday afternoon. I flew my Mini-swift, finally received the replacement props. I also made two video flights on my Slow Stick. There are a few glimpses of the other planes. I also have a little inverted flight, some loops, and some hammer heads. My little flying wing was kind of anemic. I changed props and I will try it again when the wind is not as strong. If we can get a nice day to fly, I will get the TT60 out with the JBA15 and have some fun. I still have not made the changes to the big YAK.

I started the "Night Star". I completed the initial sanding. I am putting a yellow LED strip inside the fuse. It lights it up very well. I will beusing iron-on covering on the top and bottom of these wings. I have 21st Century Coverlite for it. I did the bottoms of one set it it worked well. I think it strengthens the wings for postive G loading. I am building a spare set of stock wings. These will let me have a more streamlined plane for day flights.

Looks like I have the Avistar Select sold for delivery today.
Ok, before I send it too you, I will pull the HSN and check the O ring. What can I clean the carb with? just want to be sure I have tried everything I can beofre shipping it out. How much for the OS? A guy gave me an old Hanger 9 easy 2 trainer, in great shape with an MDS 40 on it. The engine is clean enough to eat off of!! I wonder how he kept it so clean looking. Going to try and start that this afternoon, if I beat the rain home. Supposed to rain all weekend, so I will have time to tinker.
Apr 22, 2011, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billd76
Ok, before I send it too you, I will pull the HSN and check the O ring. What can I clean the carb with? just want to be sure I have tried everything I can beofre shipping it out. How much for the OS? A guy gave me an old Hanger 9 easy 2 trainer, in great shape with an MDS 40 on it. The engine is clean enough to eat off of!! I wonder how he kept it so clean looking. Going to try and start that this afternoon, if I beat the rain home. Supposed to rain all weekend, so I will have time to tinker.
You can clean the carb with alcohol. Just don't leave it soaking a long time. Clean any holes if you are going to the trouble to take it off and clean it. Make sure when you put the carb back on to use enough pressure to seal the o-ring but not so much that you squeeze it out the sides.

To clean the outside of an engine, use Dawn Power Dissolver. It is usually in the dishwashing liquids at the grocery or WalMart. Cover all the openings and just spray the entire engine liberally. Let this sit five or six minutes. I then use a tooth brush to clean crevices and fins. With all the openings again and wash it off with water. You will be amazed at how clean it is.
Apr 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Yup Rain is suppose to move in here by 3am and last until just afternoon tomorrow,, Perfect timing we usually fly from 8Am until about noon - 1ish LOL This season is getting off to a very cold wet and slow start, I still plan on going though.
Apr 22, 2011, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy
New Hobby

SEFF Night Bowling, we could twist this...Right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqDMc64r8N0

LMAO I love the end of that video. You just hear something coming closer at a high rate of speed, screaming, video shaking, and then end.

Good stuff!

-Eric
Apr 22, 2011, 10:52 AM
Do Da Dippidy
Thread OP
Soak an engine in antifreeze in a crockpot overnight on low for a really clean engine.
Apr 22, 2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YFD27
guys just a few easy questions from a new twist 40 flyer. I had to add about 3 ounces of weight just behind the fire wall to get it to balance at 5" behind the leading edge, is this normal? Also the plane is very hard to fly at 35% DR because the elevator is just way to darn much, is this because of the CG? Any pointers would be nice it is very easy to fly at high speeds but you slow it down and shes a horse of a different color. thanks in advance, YFD 27

I know you have replies already, but my farthest back CG on my 40 was 5.25" and it wants to do nothing but hover pretty much. I think I settled it around 4.75 or so, so I'm betting you're just tail heavy.

Another thing I've found is that I need a LOT LESS elevator than I usually originally think. My Twist 40 maybe has 10-15 degrees of elevator on low rates. It doesn't take much!

-Eric

Quick Reply