Oct 20, 2021, 10:50 AM
Hello Fellas! I hope you are all doing well. My son is recovering from his stroke with vision being the only holdout. Dad is still living, but we are unable to visit him now that his facility is locked down because of COVID. The garden was a big success......1,000lb+ worth of tomatoes, 400lbs+ worth of peppers, squash, corn, cabbages, carrots, brussels sprouts, egg plant, onions, spices, watermelons (a first for this far North for us anyway), raspberries, strawberries, peas, beans, the list goes on.......need to buy a fourth chest freezer if I go deer hunting this year. With all the canned goods and freezers full, there's no threat of me losing any weight.
I'm finally getting back into flying...found a few fellas locally that fly and we even have a wonderful field allowed us by a farmer......40acres of hay to fly over and a generous runway to take-off and land on. I crashed a Sturdy Birdy yesterday and I'm slowly regaining my thumbs. Plenty of planes to fly from past years...looking forward to flying off the ice this winter.
Best wishes,
your old buddy Snowman!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2021, 04:28 PM
Not to be alarmist, but I noticed that the Twist 60 is listed as backordered with no date at Horizon, and the Twist 40 has been removed completely. Maybe Horizon is pulling the plug on the Twist, to remove the last vestige of McConville. But don’t worry, I’m sure Hangar 9 will make up for it with yet a 4th Cub of a different size......��
Oct 27, 2021, 09:10 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Hey Snowy... That a wide spread of emotions in your update, I hope things are maintaining positive for you.

Busy life has had the best of us... the only flying I have done is a Autel Evo 2 Pro for real estate shots. Its really automated and boring.

Remember my old E Twist? The Dualsky motor is working its way over to my Wild Tiger Plank, hoping by spring, it will be a thing and I might fly a bit more.

Hope you all are well

Ron
Oct 29, 2021, 10:37 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
Hey Y'all
Still lurkin....... Hope everyone is Blessed and doing well!!!!
Nov 01, 2021, 10:20 AM
DOG! Fixn! Good to hear from you boys!
My dad passed away peacefully yesterday at the age of 94. He moved a block away a year ago and we were fortunate to spend time with each other during the year. He was a devout Christian that inspired those around him. He will be missed, but we celebrate his new home in Heaven. I'll be driving his body to the National Cemetery, in Holly MI, where he will be interred with my mother, sometime later this week.
I was on my way to the flying field when I got the call that my dad was failing, so you can see that I've been trying to get as much flying in as I can before the snow flies. I've been working hard at getting the all the birds in the hanger flyable too. .. it's been good therapy in trying to keep a positive attitude these days.
I hope you all are well.
Nov 01, 2021, 06:59 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. It's a tough thing to go through even if you're expecting it. The great news is that he knew Jesus while he still had a chance to decide which path to follow. Now, he'll get to enjoy God's eternal kingdom.
Nov 02, 2021, 12:20 PM
Snowman's love child
Snowy, sorry for your loss, stay strong...94 years , what a wonderful gift from God.
Nov 03, 2021, 05:16 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Indeed sorry to hear that Snowy, that is never an easy time. We all need a little more flying before the weather craps.... we seen our first flurries here on the mountain yesterday. Its roughly 30 this morning outside, it is coming.
Nov 20, 2021, 07:48 PM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia
You could have an overheating problem with the batteries buried. They are going to get warm and without ventialtion, that could be a problem. Check with the battery vendor also about the possible need for air ventilation as well. The higher the voltage, the less drop you will have in supply lines. You could possible use smaller gauge cables from the power system to the load because the IR drop would be lower. You might be able to make a buried vault with some space around the batteries and a lid on the top it would still provide some temperature regulation but reduce the possiblity of over heating the batteries. You could but gravel in the bottom before the vault is in stalled with some drains to let accumulated water drain. This will possibly need one-way valves in case the ground water level gets too high. The batteries could be mounted on risers to keep them off the floor. Also, I would make sure the batteries are easily accessible as you will need a routine maintenance schedule/plan. The harder it is to access, the more resistance to completing inspections there will be. I would install meters, both current, voltage, and watt/hours used in the battery area. This will make it easier to complete inspections. You should also have the same metering at at the main load access point. The differences between the two sets of readings should be compared to have early detection of issues in the system.

Buried cables should be in conduit to prevent damage from burrowing animals. Be absolutely sure you make those water tight for obvious reasons.

Battereis approved for a marine environment could be considered if you are not sure abou the moisture situation in the storage vault.

You should have over current interrupt systems and manual cutoffs at both the source and load size. You can look for resettable interrupters that will reset themselves after an temporary over load. I am not sure what is available for your situation.

Finally, you might look at what Generac offers for off-grid systems. That could give you insights as to what they have done for off grid installations, including solar. They have a solar/battery power backup system that hangs on the side of a building. I am not aware of the details but they have likely sorted all this out.

Just my off the cuff thoughts. Good luck.
Thanks Wayne... sorry been super busy and forgot to check for replies... Life is nuts but good
Nov 20, 2021, 07:55 PM
3d NOOBular
Just catching up on the thread. Sorry to hear about your loss and your son's health problems Snowy. Glad you are keeping your spirits up and that flying is helping.

Good to see all the familiar faces. If I don't drop in before then... happy thanksgiving!
Nov 22, 2021, 03:38 PM
Thank you all for the prayers and condolences! The folks that took charge of my Dad's coffin/remains were shocked when I pulled up with the U-Haul and dear ol dad in the back! The Great Lakes National Cemetery did come to their senses and play taps and give a 21-gun salute...we were happy that my Dad's wishes were fulfilled.
My son continues to improve and is back 1/2 time to work.
Well, I hope you all have a happy and blessed Thanksgiving. Things are slowing down and airplane building and ham radio will keep me from settling into a rut this winter. We have 4" on the ground.
Take care!
Yesterday, 08:06 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
Snowman, so sorry to hear of your loss my friend. Havent been on in a bit so sorry for the belated condolences. Very relieved to hear that he knew the Lord!! I lost my mother Jan 6th so I feel your grief. Hang in there my friend!!! God Bless!!!

Quick Reply