Sep 02, 2021, 06:37 PM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
Hello y'all! My dad had a stroke and a week later my 28 year old son had a stroke as well, the dogs are both on their way out and business is down by 95% due to lumber prices......as you can see I have a lot going on, but I still would like to get back into flying, but as Wayne said..the goberment doesn't make it easy.....sorry for the run-on sentence. I hope you all are well.
aaaaayyye Snowy!

I'm sorry to hear about your family health problems. Thoughts and prayers sent your way for sure. Having the business doing so poorly is just more bad piled on. I hope the lumber prices normalize soon and you can get back to earning a living. I bet you are harvesting some nice fish and such though!

I'm just trying to get over COVID myself and just had a cousin lose his fight to it due to diabetes complications. They took him off life support yesterday at 7pm. We weren't close, but its still too close to home and I have a lot of grieving relatives.

Life is twisted for sure!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2021, 05:32 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacx
To All you fellow Twistaholics. I have a NIB TWIST 150 that I just listed in the RCGroups classifieds. It’s listed under “fuel planes”. Parts are untouched and still in factory plastic. I already fly one with a Saito 220. So I don’t need this one. If any of are interested PM me.

Thanks Tom
I would have jumped on that 6 years ago...
Sep 05, 2021, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia
I would have jumped on that 6 years ago...
Maybe 10...
Sep 06, 2021, 02:48 AM
Popcorn
Sep 07, 2021, 12:09 PM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Maybe 10...
Hehe... yea 10 yrs ago it would have been tempting for me as well. Hi Wayne!
Sep 07, 2021, 04:44 PM
Hi guys, we have been going through the Summer the waves. Grand daugher had her boy baby today. They are doing good I hear. Will go over there when she gets out of the facility.

Been flying a little, biking - up to 23 miles now but had a flat yesterday morning, new tube should be here today, bowling - 17? high game so far, and golf. No scuba for a while. Amateur radio is doing good. 168 countries but it has been a while since I caught a new one.

Take care all...
Sep 19, 2021, 06:43 AM
Where’s

Snowman?
Sep 24, 2021, 10:11 AM
I'm here once and awhile. How are you?
Wayne, congrats on the new grandchild!
I hope you're all doing well.
Sep 27, 2021, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
I'm here once and awhile. How are you?
Wayne, congrats on the new grandchild!
I hope you're all doing well.
They were out on Saturday. He slept all day.

Five generations: Grand daughter, Daughter, my Mom with Creed, and my wife.
Oct 04, 2021, 12:04 PM
Snowman's love child
Great looking family Wayne!
Oct 04, 2021, 01:58 PM
3d NOOBular
Helloooo twisties!

Hey Wayne, l thought you might be interested in a battery project I am about to undertake. Huge battery bank for an off-grid pheasant farm. Planning to build batteries for around 40 kWh of storage using 230 AH LiFePo4 cells. I want to build them in 8s packs. I just found a vendor on Ali Express that sells water tight enclosures that can be buried. What do you think of burying batteries 1 to 2 ft deep in terms of regulating environment temps between winter and summer? I think your area is similar to mine in this regard... hot summers and mild winters. Thoughts?

Having these enclosures leak would be an absolute nightmare... but otherwise I'm kinda liking the idea in general. Thoughts on any of the above?

-Nate
Oct 09, 2021, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DNater
Helloooo twisties!

Hey Wayne, l thought you might be interested in a battery project I am about to undertake. Huge battery bank for an off-grid pheasant farm. Planning to build batteries for around 40 kWh of storage using 230 AH LiFePo4 cells. I want to build them in 8s packs. I just found a vendor on Ali Express that sells water tight enclosures that can be buried. What do you think of burying batteries 1 to 2 ft deep in terms of regulating environment temps between winter and summer? I think your area is similar to mine in this regard... hot summers and mild winters. Thoughts?

Having these enclosures leak would be an absolute nightmare... but otherwise I'm kinda liking the idea in general. Thoughts on any of the above?

-Nate
You could have an overheating problem with the batteries buried. They are going to get warm and without ventialtion, that could be a problem. Check with the battery vendor also about the possible need for air ventilation as well. The higher the voltage, the less drop you will have in supply lines. You could possible use smaller gauge cables from the power system to the load because the IR drop would be lower. You might be able to make a buried vault with some space around the batteries and a lid on the top it would still provide some temperature regulation but reduce the possiblity of over heating the batteries. You could but gravel in the bottom before the vault is in stalled with some drains to let accumulated water drain. This will possibly need one-way valves in case the ground water level gets too high. The batteries could be mounted on risers to keep them off the floor. Also, I would make sure the batteries are easily accessible as you will need a routine maintenance schedule/plan. The harder it is to access, the more resistance to completing inspections there will be. I would install meters, both current, voltage, and watt/hours used in the battery area. This will make it easier to complete inspections. You should also have the same metering at at the main load access point. The differences between the two sets of readings should be compared to have early detection of issues in the system.

Buried cables should be in conduit to prevent damage from burrowing animals. Be absolutely sure you make those water tight for obvious reasons.

Battereis approved for a marine environment could be considered if you are not sure abou the moisture situation in the storage vault.

You should have over current interrupt systems and manual cutoffs at both the source and load size. You can look for resettable interrupters that will reset themselves after an temporary over load. I am not sure what is available for your situation.

Finally, you might look at what Generac offers for off-grid systems. That could give you insights as to what they have done for off grid installations, including solar. They have a solar/battery power backup system that hangs on the side of a building. I am not aware of the details but they have likely sorted all this out.

Just my off the cuff thoughts. Good luck.
Oct 11, 2021, 01:58 PM
Your cool snowman

How come the people in the USA don’t move to Hawaii to live the rest of their lives and fly rc ?
Oct 14, 2021, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldyaso
Your cool snowman

How come the people in the USA don’t move to Hawaii to live the rest of their lives and fly rc ?
Too many Democrats
Oct 18, 2021, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Too many Democrats
^^^This^^^

Quick Reply