Sep 03, 2019, 08:32 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy
This weekend I pulled a BNIB Twist 60 out of storage. I already have a BNIB Rimfire .80, plenty of 6s batteries and a FrSky S6R Rx (w/ internal stabilizer) sitting around. Today I ordered 4 servos from promodeler.com http://www.promodeler.com/DS180DLHV I've never used their servo's before. But, they get rave reviews from the giant scale folks with outstanding power and centering.Tonight I'll order a Castle Talon 90, better control horns, turnbuckles, ball links and maybe a leafspring tailwheel if I can find one reasonably priced. It'll take a week to get the parts in and another week to assemble it.

I need to find a wing bag that fits. I've got it in a bag that's about 2" too short. But, it will work for now.

Any thoughts on this power setup? Would this handle a 15 mph wind, or would I get blown all over the place?
That sounds great! We would love to see build pics, videos, maiden flight, etc.

I personally don't know about the electric power on the plane. Mine were glow or gas. Some of the guys did electric though.

I do suggest you take a look at the tips thread. There is some essential information there about the planes, V1 and V2.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...mods-plans-etc

Best of luck.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2019, 09:48 AM

still here

I'm still around. Been relaxing and enjoying some vacation time. Bought a 19 ft Bayliner Capri 3.0 last summer and only got to take it out 3 times. Right I bought it we had to start making a bunch of trips for weekend visits so we could be foster parents of our 5 yo grandson. By the time we had him lakes were too low, and the weather had turned. This year I've gotten out quite a bit. Setup a downrigger in my boat and fishing has greatly improved. No more trips out getting skunked. Yesterday the smallest rainbow I kept was 16 inches. You know you're having a good time when you're releasing a 14 in as "too small" lol. Biggest yesterday was 18 1/2 inches. A couple weeks ago I caught my biggest ever which was 19 1/2 inches and took almost a half hour to get in the boat.

Jim Allen
Sep 05, 2019, 08:07 PM
Nice!!!!!!
Sep 05, 2019, 08:40 PM
Glad you are out and about and enjoying life!

I made 4 FPV flights today. For the first one, I took off from the rollup bed cover on my truck. I then did the others from the road. They were mowing the grass. They mowed a tiny strip for us. I tried to land on it twice but it was just too small. I could not see it soon enough to line up for the landings. The other two were on the ball field after they mowed it. It is not as good as flying the real thing but it is nice anyway. I hope to get some time in on full-scale this month. It is still hot here. I was hoping for it to get a bit cooler. We had a few days and rain but it was not enough.

Sorry to hear about the dive boat fire in California. That is so sad.

Ham radio meeting on Saturday. I have some RC Plane work for other people I want to finish this weekend also.

Going to work tomorrow to get some items ready for shipping. I home next year to finally retire from everything. We will see.

It is about time to take the Giant Fly out again. It needs to get a little cooler though. We still have not been out to the real field - again, it is too hot.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Wayne
Sep 08, 2019, 12:08 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to prop a new Twist 60 build. I've installed a Rimfire .80 and 65 amp esc. The RF .80 manual recommends props 11x5.5 - 19x8. Using a ruler it appears that anything over a 14" prop starts getting too close to the ground for me. I'm not after speed, so a low pitched prop would be better. I'm leaning toward a 13x4 or 14x6.
https://www.motionrc.com/collections...tric-propeller
Thoughts?

Edit: this is a 6s setup.
Last edited by jwellsy; Sep 08, 2019 at 12:21 PM.
Sep 09, 2019, 10:35 AM
Good day of flying again. We had a good crowd but Kerwin was missing again. We seemed to be getting more people coming out to the field, not sure why but its all good.
Sep 09, 2019, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy
I'm trying to figure out how to prop a new Twist 60 build. I've installed a Rimfire .80 and 65 amp esc. The RF .80 manual recommends props 11x5.5 - 19x8. Using a ruler it appears that anything over a 14" prop starts getting too close to the ground for me. I'm not after speed, so a low pitched prop would be better. I'm leaning toward a 13x4 or 14x6.
https://www.motionrc.com/collections...tric-propeller
Thoughts?

Edit: this is a 6s setup.
Tower recommended props are 15x6 to 15x8. I would use the 15x7. I know you said you thought a 14" was max. I am pretty sure I have run a 15" on my 60. We normally have a bit more pitch on electrics than on glow/gas birds. If you have to use a 14" then I have to say a 14x7 or 14x 8.5. This will put the load factor in the same range as the recommended props. I also recommend APC thin electric props. Good luck.
Sep 10, 2019, 06:02 PM
Pictures of airplanes and fish.........does it get any better? Nice fish Dan......if you outstretch your arm the fish would look bigger........just sayin'.
Sep 11, 2019, 06:09 AM
Another secret is to step on the fish and flatten it out and make it longer!

This fish was returned to swim another day!
Sep 12, 2019, 10:23 AM
So, new to this thread...only 58,884 posts to work my way through! I did find the other one that summarizes some of the recommended mods. Flying for 40yrs, and while I aspire to 3D, I'm not very good at it.

Just won a Hangar 9 Twist .40 in a club raffle. This will replace my well worn H9 Pizzaz. Help me choose the power! From my inventory, here are the possibilities:

NIB:
OS .46FX
HB Gold Cup .40
Supertigre .40 (ringed)
Kraft .61 with Perry Pump and Carb. Lapped and re-ported by a then local big name in peaking out engines for racing.
OS 91 - just kidding!

Very old, current running state unknown, but I have 2 of them!:
O.S. 61, with Supertigre carb. Exact model unknown.
Sep 12, 2019, 12:30 PM
If you like power and responsiveness.........then go with a O.S. 61 FX or O.S. .55 AX.........any engine that you have that will come close to the specs of these two will guarantee a smile from ear to ear. If you're not into 3D.........any 40 size will do.........you'll have a lazy circle flyer then.
Sep 12, 2019, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandet01
So, new to this thread...only 58,884 posts to work my way through! I did find the other one that summarizes some of the recommended mods. Flying for 40yrs, and while I aspire to 3D, I'm not very good at it.

Just won a Hangar 9 Twist .40 in a club raffle. This will replace my well worn H9 Pizzaz. Help me choose the power! From my inventory, here are the possibilities:

NIB:
OS .46FX
HB Gold Cup .40
Supertigre .40 (ringed)
Kraft .61 with Perry Pump and Carb. Lapped and re-ported by a then local big name in peaking out engines for racing.
OS 91 - just kidding!

Very old, current running state unknown, but I have 2 of them!:
O.S. 61, with Supertigre carb. Exact model unknown.
Well, If I was doing it and I HAD to use one of those engines, I might put the .91 on there IF it is the .91FX. I might have to play around with the balance some though. The .61FX , 65AX, or 55AX would be good choices. Also, a Saito .82 is a really good engine for it also. I had a Saito .82 on mine.

You could move the Pizzaz motor over to the new one.

The super tiger carb is not that easy to tune in my experience.

The .46FX would be the easiest choice of those you have. Props for the 46FX: Master Airscrew Scimitar 12x7; APC 12.25x3.75

Be sure to look through the tips thread you found. The weak points, bracing, engine choices, prop choices, etc. are there. We tried to put all the cumulative knowledge and experience in there for posterity.
Last edited by waynemia; Sep 12, 2019 at 02:37 PM.
Sep 12, 2019, 07:44 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
61FX is my vote but its a bit of a tight squeeze. Well worth the price of the shoe horn though
Last edited by FIXXIN2FLY; Sep 12, 2019 at 07:54 PM.
Sep 12, 2019, 08:12 PM
[QUOTE=sandet01;4272423

Just won a Hangar 9 Twist .40 .[/QUOTE]

Very nice
Sep 13, 2019, 09:40 AM
ID'd the OS engines - pretty old! OS .61 FSR, ringed!
The Pizzazz has an OS .46FX in it, which has been a solid engine, but obviously more power is better.
Seriously, put the .91FX in it??? Talk about pounds of tail weight! Main reason I never used that engine was the cost per flight that glow fuel has gotten too!

Time to bust out the scale, and see what the relative weights are. Kind of leaning toward the .61's - if they clean up and run still.

Quick Reply