Jul 29, 2019, 03:29 PM
Excellent walleye fishing lately.....or should I say catching?!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 30, 2019, 05:46 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Pretty good time at the field today. I delivered the items from Twisted Hobbys and HK that had come in. Gene got to fly my StepOne today. He should have fun building his own.

Carl, Ted, Bobby, and Fred were out flying. Fred is working on his landings now. Keep at it Fred.

I flew my wing but it still has some flutter at high speed. Not sure what is going on but I will try something. I plan to get the FPV stuff out and ready to fly again.

Bobby and I are planning some trips to T-Birds in August. Break out the fuel planes. Carl is coming over tomorrow to work on his U-Can-Do engine. I hope We-Can-Do.

Carl flew his Fun Jet Ultra today. The launcher tubing failed so I hand-launched it for him. That thing is still awesome fast. An elevon pulled off in the landing. We will put it back on tomorrow with some pin hinges.

I have some builds to do this fall. Hopefully the Rascal will make it out of storage. It will be a major build as I plan some modifications… Like a twin cylinder, 40cc gasoline engine!

Have fun,
Wayne
Aug 04, 2019, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
Excellent walleye fishing lately.....or should I say catching?!
You could say catching

I would😄
Aug 06, 2019, 08:35 AM
StepOnes and Tundras...

We will have five StepOnes and fourTundras at the park. Everyone decided they wanted a StepOne all of a sudden. I have a cold; getting better now. We planned on going to the big field but I am not feeling well enough. We are also in those 100+ degree temps now (not heat index). We have to be watchful. One of the Funjet Ultras flew last week. The launcher was out of order so I hand-launched it. Still awesome fast.
Aug 06, 2019, 05:22 PM
SAD! SAD! SAD! SAD! SAD! SAD! SAD! SAD!

First, everything moved from glow to gas. Then we turned electric. Then we turned to multi-rotors. Now, I can't find motors for electric planes. They are all for Multi-X.

Just makes me sick. We can't find places to fly. They regulate us to death. Manufacturers go out of business, hobby shops close, insurance is too high, its too hot, you can't flush toilet paper in Cozumel, I caught a cold, the ocean is being trashed, I can't go to Mars, the golden years suck!
Aug 06, 2019, 06:53 PM
..........rusty years more like.......
Aug 06, 2019, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
..........rusty years more like.......
I don't think people die of old age, they just can't put up with the crap any more...
Last edited by waynemia; Aug 07, 2019 at 03:18 PM.
Aug 07, 2019, 08:21 PM
Right on brother!
Aug 08, 2019, 05:10 PM
OK, We went to the park yesterday. I delivered some planes and parts people ordered. I demonstrated the Carbon Cub S+ I sold. I was ready to leave when I noticed one of our guys at the far side of the park peering into the woods. (Yea, we have woods.) I decide to go see if he needs help. He was flying a Hobby Zone Delta Ray - it has gyro stuff, self-leveling, etc. He was flying and switched on the safe mode to help level the plane. Then the wind was blowing the plane toward the woods. In this mode, the model has limits to roll and elevator. He could not get the plane to turn around and it was drifting farther over the woods. Since he was trying to get control of the plane but did not think to change the mode so he could regain control. So as the plane was going out-of-site, he pulled the power and let it go down. BUT! It was still in beginner mode so the plane would have tried to keep itself level.

We drove around the park looking for access but could not find a way to get back in there, there is a creek on the side we fly from. My friend thought he could hear motors running from our side but I did not hear anything. It was already 100 degrees temp and we were hot and tired. We decided to go get some boots and equipment and go back at 5pm and try to look for it. With the boots, we found a low water crossing. We hiked back into the woods.

There was talk of crazy snakes back in the woods and we should not go in there. There is all kinds of stuff that has washed down in this area. There are many deer in there. I had a 24' pole and some rope in case the plane was found in a tree. We approached the general area so we tried the motors... nothing. I tried working the elevons... nothing. We went farther in and tried again... nothing. I noticed that they tops of the trees was over 60' up. It is summer and the trees are full of leaves. We can't see much of anything, There was almost no wind so it was hot and muggy. We continued into the woods until we were sure we were in the correct area and at the edge of the woods. Still no sound from the plane. It is possible the battery was just played out by then.

We started walking away from the park looking for any signs of the plane and listening for any activity from the plane... nothing. We continued all the way across the woods. We could have walked under it and not seen it. In the end, we agreed that we gave it our best effort to find it. We also agreed that it would be really lucky if it came down through the trees and it was probably stuck up in the trees somewhere. That meant, even if we found it, we probably could not have retrieved it.

So, those gyros and computers may make flying a little easier but it also means you can't fly the plane well enough sometimes to keep out of trouble if you don't respond quick enough to put it back into REAL pilot mode.

End of Delta Ray saga.
Aug 10, 2019, 08:01 AM
Excellent story........bummer outcome!
Aug 12, 2019, 06:25 AM
Good morning all!

We had a good flying day Sunday, we seem to be having more interest and more people are showing up to fly (around 10 or so). We even have a member that is going to give the club $1500 for a rubberized mat runway for the electrics. Kerwin was not present.
Aug 12, 2019, 06:54 AM
Airfield Hermit

Had a fairly good weekend of flying.

My "weekend" flying starts a little early, on Friday.

I typically get a chance to head to the field on Friday, and if I've been good, I get another chance on Saturday. This weekend was a good one.

We have seen a resurgence of folks on our club trainer (Sig LT-40, electric). We even had to bring out the ol' glo-fuel Nexstar and had two trainer planes going at the same time. I can't stack ions, so I took the Nexstar.

We had some youngin's and some oldin's that were getting back into the hobby. Flew quite a few flights on Friday, and even got a few flights in on my own stuff. Packed everything up and headed for home.

Well, it rains in Florida....

Somehow, my Tx wound up receiving some of that rain. It was in the bed of my truck, and I have a cap over the bed. Not sure how it got it, but I could see the droplets on top of it when I got home. And, the blue light was on, even if the switch was off. Not good. I tore into it in the comfort of my air conditioning, and got most of the moisture out of it. The screen wouldn't come on, and with the battery in, it would keep trying to turn on.

I decided to put it by the inlet for the A/C and see what that did to remove the water intrusion. In the am, I plugged the battery in and it came to life! I checked it out best I could, and decided to give it a whirl. Picking a plane to find out if indeed, the transmitter would continue working is like choosing which one of your children may not be the biggest benefit to society. Lol.

I got a few flights in and everything went well. I think it'll work fine. BUT, the transmitter is old (so far as 2.4G transmitters go) and it has several war scars from over the years. Some switches don't work, the battery cover is taped on, etc. So I started scouring the globe, figuring this is as good of a reason to replace it as any. Got lucky and found a newer model locally, It's not a big-name brand, so I was glad to find it. Plus, I don't have to replace all of my receivers!

Now, I just need to transfer over all the airframes to the new Tx. Did two yesterday, so at least I can fly them on it. The rest will follow. But if I get the same amount of use out of this Tx as I did with the old one, I'll be quite happy. Of course, now EACH flight on each plane will be like a maiden flight! Lol.

I keep telling myself, "Check those ailerons!!!!"
Aug 12, 2019, 08:42 AM
A few weeks ago I plugged in my lipo battery in backwards in my Hitec Aurora. I heard a small sound and smelled smoke. I was bummed thinking that I had lost all the models on the radio as well as the radio. I sent the transmitter into Hitec and a week later and $37 my transmitter was back and all the models were present. I was so happy, I thought my transmitter was dead and gone.
Aug 13, 2019, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards49
A few weeks ago I plugged in my lipo battery in backwards in my Hitec Aurora. I heard a small sound and smelled smoke. I was bummed thinking that I had lost all the models on the radio as well as the radio. I sent the transmitter into Hitec and a week later and $37 my transmitter was back and all the models were present. I was so happy, I thought my transmitter was dead and gone.
Probably something like a fuseable link went out. Sacrificial parts. Glad all is well. Might go out Thursday.

Way too hot...
Aug 14, 2019, 01:08 PM
We're off to Bowling Green......our youngest is graduating on Saturday. No flying.....too much work otherwise.

Quick Reply