Thread Tools
May 17, 2019, 03:36 PM
Registered User
I'm impressed...Latin!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2019, 08:54 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
I'm impressed...Latin!

nihil est,
May 18, 2019, 12:43 PM
Registered User
Sorry Wayne, I dropped out of "Latin As A Third Language" in high school.

Well, all this talk of rain........and now we're wet with it! Thanks!
May 19, 2019, 08:17 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
Sorry Wayne, I dropped out of "Latin As A Third Language" in high school.

Well, all this talk of rain........and now we're wet with it! Thanks!
With Google, we are all multi-lingual.
Cum Google relatis, multi-sunt omnes linguae.
Con Google, todos somos multilingües.
Avec Google, nous sommes tous multilingues.
Mit Google sind wir alle mehrsprachig.
Με την Google, όλοι είμαστε πολύγλωσσοι.
Med Google är vi alla flerspråkiga.
مع Google ، نحن جميعًا متعدد اللغات.
Með Google erum við öll fjöltyngdar.
Google은 모두 다국어입니다.
Me Google, nui mākou a pau.
Last edited by waynemia; May 19, 2019 at 08:22 PM.
May 19, 2019, 08:32 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
Sorry Wayne, I dropped out of "Latin As A Third Language" in high school.

Well, all this talk of rain........and now we're wet with it! Thanks!
We had over an inch yesterday. Thunderstorms, lightning, and tornadoes abound, oh my! My flag got loose yesterday and I took the pole down in the rain to protect my flag. Today was nice though. I spent the day inside teaching Rescue Diver and First Aid.

I have dive classes Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I hope the weather cooperates.

I serviced 6 SCUBA regulators this week.

I am tired of working...
May 21, 2019, 07:56 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
Oh boy! More rain today!
May 21, 2019, 12:26 PM
Registered User
Man do you get the rain! Is it pretty flat around your location? Where does it all go........the ground must be saturated! With the upcoming heat.......is it going to be humid as all get out? I thought Texas was supposed to be hot and dry? Well, good thing you have work to occupy yourself.........your flying field is flooded.....algae levels must be up in the surrounding fresh water......making the water all green-like.........the water around these parts is crystal clear........too cold for any plant life to prosper..........brook trout rarely exceed 19 inches in length........not enough food. I've got a few building projects in the bid stage......I'm certain I'll get two of the five I've bid on........the workshop is getting cleaner and cleaner every night.........I have cabinets to build...........I'm feeling a lot of stress ....with so much stuff going on..........feeling kinda ADHD too..........too many thoughts running through this old noggin..........water behind the left eardrum is making me dizzy and swim-headed............switched out summer tires for the winter tires on all the vehicles yesterday........have to build a grape arbor this afternoon..........hope to fly this evening again.
May 21, 2019, 08:40 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
Yea, you sound too busy Stuart. I keep trying to get rid of commitments.

I have water pooling all over the yards. The ground is saturated. Moss is growing in places. An improvised creek town the side of the driveway. It will go away, eventually. The lakes are still pretty cold, temps in the 60s. I have a 5mm wetsuit that should arrive Friday. I will probalby take my dry suit also.

I hope you have fun flying.
May 21, 2019, 09:24 PM
Airfield Hermit

New membership card time!!!


Well, it happened. A new twistaholic.

Been looking at one of the 60-sized Twists for some time. Always had enough planes to fly, so I never bit the bullet. Then, two dudes show up at our field with a trailer full of planes and said that everything was going to be auctioned off, with the proceeds going to the club. Okay, envision a huge, three-meat pizza being wheeled into a Jenny Craig meeting!

So, I eye up this red Twist. It's got all the servos except for the wing and an engine! How's an OS 120 AX pull one of these babies around? Lol. Supposedly they've flown it but everything needed going over since it's been sitting so long. Added some servos to the wing and oiled up the engine. Swapped out all the fuel lines and fired it up today. Sounds good.

I also got a Funtana 90 with a Saito 180 Golden Knight on it. The airframe was pretty wrecked and the engine was seized, but I've got it moving again. Likely put bearings and seals in it before flying.

Hopefully, I'll get a little stick time this Friday. I want to take it out and try it out before changing a lot of stuff. Oh, and I didn't think I did too bad for $55 !!!!
May 22, 2019, 08:22 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcrafty
Well, it happened. A new twistaholic.

Been looking at one of the 60-sized Twists for some time. Always had enough planes to fly, so I never bit the bullet. Then, two dudes show up at our field with a trailer full of planes and said that everything was going to be auctioned off, with the proceeds going to the club. Okay, envision a huge, three-meat pizza being wheeled into a Jenny Craig meeting!

So, I eye up this red Twist. It's got all the servos except for the wing and an engine! How's an OS 120 AX pull one of these babies around? Lol. Supposedly they've flown it but everything needed going over since it's been sitting so long. Added some servos to the wing and oiled up the engine. Swapped out all the fuel lines and fired it up today. Sounds good.

I also got a Funtana 90 with a Saito 180 Golden Knight on it. The airframe was pretty wrecked and the engine was seized, but I've got it moving again. Likely put bearings and seals in it before flying.

Hopefully, I'll get a little stick time this Friday. I want to take it out and try it out before changing a lot of stuff. Oh, and I didn't think I did too bad for $55 !!!!
Sounds great! We love pictures and videos.

We have a thread with tips you may want to review: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...mods-plans-etc

There are some valuable tips about the flight characteristics there and the weak point behind the canopy and above the wing. I had a 15cc gas engine on my TT60. I ran a Saito .80 on my TT40.

The Funtana is fun also. No special stuff about it here though. I had the 125. I was not happy with it. It was tail heavy and needed too much on the nose to balance it properly. It flew OK but I don't like planes that take a lot of effort to balance.

I have a youtube channel with a lot of video on RC including Twisty stuff. It is https://www.youtube.com/user/waynemi...ch?query=twist .

Best of luck with it.

Wayne
May 22, 2019, 10:25 PM
Airfield Hermit
Fired it up the other day and the engine sounds pretty good. I think the previous owner loved castor. There was a bunch of goo coming out of it and the other engine (Saito 180) was sludged up solid.

Hoping to get the Twist out on friday. Will let you all know how it goes.
May 23, 2019, 02:35 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcrafty
Fired it up the other day and the engine sounds pretty good. I think the previous owner loved castor. There was a bunch of goo coming out of it and the other engine (Saito 180) was sludged up solid.

Hoping to get the Twist out on friday. Will let you all know how it goes.

Progress!! Sounds good.
May 25, 2019, 08:33 PM
Airfield Hermit
Had the Twist 60 out this weekend.

Took the plane to the field and, after a couple of dead-sticks, had the engine running pretty good. there was sooooo much crud in that thing! The bearings have a little bit of a growl, so I'll likely tear it down in the future and treat it to some new bearin's. But, for now, it flies!

I started with a 15x8 prop on that 120 AX. The plane literally tore up the sky with that prop. Figured I didn't need all that speed, so I went to a 16x6 Scimitar. I also have a 17x4w APC I might try down the road. I've watched all the videos online and they're all flying faster than I like to fly (or, at least it seems that way on the 'puter.)

With the 16x6, it flies at about two clicks of throttle. The engine has great response up to about 3/4 throttle, then it still has issues at WOT. It's like it wants more fuel, but it's leaving a smoke trail behind it already! Even at idle, it puffs out smoke. I call it my little train.

The more I run it, the better it runs. It'll pull out of hover with gusto at 3/4 throttle, so WOT really isn't necessary. In fact, I noted something today, and I'll try to put it into words accurately. Hope this makes sense.

The plane flies nice and slow, and with a slight wind, will stay in place with just a tinge up up elevator. it flies great (hands off) at two or three clicks of throttle. If I give it a LOT of throttle, it wants to dive. I'm not sure if there's a lot of down thrust built in to the firewall or, if perhaps my ailerons are acting as spoilerons or whatever (slightly up or down past center). ??????

I don't go WOT very often, but with that wide of a wing, that just seemed a little odd to me. Thoughts?

I also think that I'll back the CG up a bit. It's at 6" right now, and when it slows down, it dives pretty good when you cut power. More than I like anyways.
May 26, 2019, 07:42 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcrafty
Had the Twist 60 out this weekend.

Took the plane to the field and, after a couple of dead-sticks, had the engine running pretty good. there was sooooo much crud in that thing! The bearings have a little bit of a growl, so I'll likely tear it down in the future and treat it to some new bearin's. But, for now, it flies!

I started with a 15x8 prop on that 120 AX. The plane literally tore up the sky with that prop. Figured I didn't need all that speed, so I went to a 16x6 Scimitar. I also have a 17x4w APC I might try down the road. I've watched all the videos online and they're all flying faster than I like to fly (or, at least it seems that way on the 'puter.)

With the 16x6, it flies at about two clicks of throttle. The engine has great response up to about 3/4 throttle, then it still has issues at WOT. It's like it wants more fuel, but it's leaving a smoke trail behind it already! Even at idle, it puffs out smoke. I call it my little train.

The more I run it, the better it runs. It'll pull out of hover with gusto at 3/4 throttle, so WOT really isn't necessary. In fact, I noted something today, and I'll try to put it into words accurately. Hope this makes sense.

The plane flies nice and slow, and with a slight wind, will stay in place with just a tinge up up elevator. it flies great (hands off) at two or three clicks of throttle. If I give it a LOT of throttle, it wants to dive. I'm not sure if there's a lot of down thrust built in to the firewall or, if perhaps my ailerons are acting as spoilerons or whatever (slightly up or down past center). ??????

I don't go WOT very often, but with that wide of a wing, that just seemed a little odd to me. Thoughts?

I also think that I'll back the CG up a bit. It's at 6" right now, and when it slows down, it dives pretty good when you cut power. More than I like anyways.
Well, that is a good report. For the CG, I like to fly inverted and see how much down elevator it takes to keep it level. If it is more than just a touch, I move the CG. It should not need up elevator at all. If you had to trim it up to make it fly level at half throttle, Then you are probably nose heavy.

The engine may just be burning off deposits. Run a couple of tanks through it and tweak the needles and see how it performs. JMHO on the Saitos, run a minimum of 20% Nitro. It cost more but the engine will perform very well for you and tuning, especially idle, is easier.

Props: I only ran 4 Pitch props and 4W is preferred. There were some other prop recommendations for the 60 size engines on the Twist (TT) 40. I prefer 4 pitch on all my aerobatic glow engines. I rarely go above 6 or 7 pitch on anything other than all-out speeders.

Speed: well, I ran mine slow and like a bat out of Hell. The plane will flat spin upright and inverted. I found it more challenging to hover but some of the others managed it well. It is pretty short coupled on the tail and at the time, It was a bit tough for me to keep up. I might be able to handle it better now I don't know.
May 26, 2019, 07:45 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
These are the RESCUE Divers I taught and finished their courses this weekend.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Tower SUper Saver Club la528it Hot Online Deals 55 Sep 16, 2016 04:53 PM
Discussion New Club Thread - Northern Beaches Soaring Club Psionic001 Australia 13 Sep 11, 2014 07:45 AM
Discussion San Francisco Model Yacht Club's multi-club Swap Meet craig_c Dock Talk 17 Oct 13, 2009 02:28 AM