Nov 01, 2017, 07:56 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Ya'll can keep it... 32F this morning was enough already
to remove ads between posts
Nov 02, 2017, 12:56 PM
It took all 13 horses to "blow" the 10" of slush that's on the ground!!!!!!!!!!! It's coming to a drive near y'all!!!
Nov 02, 2017, 06:35 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Going to the real flying field tomorrow, not the new one, and it was 94 today.
Nov 02, 2017, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
It took all 13 horses to "blow" the 10" of slush that's on the ground!!!!!!!!!!! It's coming to a drive near y'all!!!
OK, I want to know if that guy has flown anything yet.
Nov 02, 2017, 07:11 PM
Do retracts hold up on a grass field, or are they not worth the hassle?
Nov 02, 2017, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia
OK, I want to know if that guy has flown anything yet.
Not yet Wayne.........I only had to talk to him, once, briefly in the few weeks that have passed. The plane has yet to arrive at his door.
Nov 02, 2017, 09:21 PM
Our field would be mighty rough on retracts
Nov 03, 2017, 05:43 AM
K50, where have you been?
Nov 04, 2017, 08:26 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
So..... you for you foamie Leccy Lovers, Peter has taken things to a new level. The build thread videos are interesting.
My HomeMade electric plane Really flies!!!! (short hops) part7 (12 min 38 sec)
Nov 05, 2017, 10:51 AM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Nice home made plane vid that has me written all over it.

Yes retracts can be worth it on a grass field our runway is the king of bumpy crappy runways and has damaged many a retract with ease, my giant P-47 has had nothing but problems on our grass runway but apparently the stock retracts are crapnto begin with and I was told to use Robarts which of course are $90 a piece but I have had success with them, just land gently, it's a very heavy plane, we have had much success with 40 &60 sized birds but any rough landing on a grass runway tears up all landing gears retract or not.

The first thing I do with any of my planes is make sure there is plenty of reinforcement epoxied on all my landing gears even if I have to add extra sticks around it as our runway is a landing gears nitemare
Nov 05, 2017, 01:09 PM
"REINFORCEMENT"?????????!!!!!!!!!!! We don't need no stinkin' reinforcement! *A play on a quote from an old movie.... for you youngsters out there.....*
Nov 05, 2017, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwards49
Do retracts hold up on a grass field, or are they not worth the hassle?
Ah! No answer to that question there is young padawan. Too many variables there are.

Whish grass field? Nose gear or tail dragger? Highly skilled pilot or dirt napper? Light floaty plane or expoxy-bloated brick? Rock solid mechanical retracts or sissy, builtin servo, new-fangled retracts?

So, some retracts worked at our field and some didn't. BUT! Some work on the concrete runway and some don't. A lot of people don't take the time required to adjust the properly. Some land hard on the nose wheel all the time and that does not make those happy. Some people ground roll like they are driving a NASCAR making turns at way too much speed which can exceed the designed stress limits and cause them to collapse.

Oh! Did I forget to mention that many planes lose fixed gear? Yes, many loose nose gear, tail gear, main gear on grass, concrete, whatever runways.

So if you mix everything together, there is probably a formula that says the landing gear will survive the take-off and landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe
The first thing I do with any of my planes is make sure there is plenty of reinforcement epoxied ...
See above...

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program in progress...
Nov 06, 2017, 06:50 PM
Here is a short video of our new field. This is designated 6TS2 by the FAA. We are still working on it but we made the first flights this week.

Dauenhaur Field (3 min 55 sec)
Nov 06, 2017, 08:18 PM
Cold weather has set in an I haven't flown a plane in for ever.
Nov 07, 2017, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50
Cold weather has set in an I haven't flown a plane in for ever.
Me either!

Quick Reply