New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:55 PM
snowman is offline
Find More Posts by snowman
Registered User
All these words from the seventies...."fatties", "pot", "gasser " ....I'm feeling a bit nostalgic!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:00 PM
DaOldGuy is offline
Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
All these words from the seventies...."fatties", "pot", "gasser " ....I'm feeling a bit nostalgic!
Me thinks you are reading much into this... Grass..maybe, Gasser... that is really hitting a dream scape.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:13 PM
3DNater is offline
Find More Posts by 3DNater
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I use the fiberglass arm that comes with the DLE engines. It just screws on to the arm on the carb. I know some use the Hitec aluminum arm.

You did put a ball link on the throttle arm didn't you? I never have a rod the goes directly to the throttle arm, like a z-bend or something. All the wear should be just on the the ball link.
I had a carbon fiber arm... not sure where it came from because I didn't build that part of the plane originally. And yes, I have it set up with ball links on both ends. The wear is odd to me and I am not sure what caused it. It is where the arm connects to the throttle. For some reason it kind of reamed the opening out to where it no longer grips the throttle properly. It is more like putting a wrench that is too big on a nut but you can still turn it.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:19 PM
DaOldGuy is offline
Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Seems I have a little noise at TDC and BDC on this motor when turning the prop by hand... Might have got what I paid for. If nothing else, they are fairly simple motors, take it apart and make it better.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:06 AM
3DNater is offline
Find More Posts by 3DNater
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
DOG that engine sounds good and has great throttle response. I'll be excited to see a vid of it flying.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:19 AM
DaOldGuy is offline
Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
More Donatas

"Arrow" VPP Donatas Pauzuolis (5 min 39 sec)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:10 AM
plowboy1966 is online now
Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
Seems I have a little noise at TDC and BDC on this motor when turning the prop by hand... Might have got what I paid for. If nothing else, they are fairly simple motors, take it apart and make it better.

Scrape at the top, slap at the bottom? Are you thinking bearings? I would talk to Al Lewis for sure. He's run a lot of those engines.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:30 AM
DaOldGuy is offline
Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Scrape at the top, slap at the bottom? Are you thinking bearings? I would talk to Al Lewis for sure. He's run a lot of those engines.
Me thinks the Rod bearing <bushing> has play... Gonna have Doug look at it.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:21 AM
plowboy1966 is online now
Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Registered User
Check the connecting rod at the piston while you're at it. It might just need to wear in a bit too, everything, not just the ring. I hope it's nothing serious. I think those are decent engines, at least from what I've heard.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:33 AM
waynemia is offline
Find More Posts by waynemia
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Wayne are you interested or what???
Daaaaa, nope nope nope, daaaa not interested, nope.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:34 AM
plowboy1966 is online now
Find More Posts by plowboy1966
Registered User
I'm thinking about filling in the extra holes in my engine rails with Gorilla glue. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:38 AM
DaOldGuy is offline
Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Check the connecting rod at the piston while you're at it. It might just need to wear in a bit too, everything, not just the ring. I hope it's nothing serious. I think those are decent engines, at least from what I've heard.
If I crack the case' everything will be new and improved. It runs to good to risk things coming apart.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:39 AM
DaOldGuy is offline
Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Flying Half Pound and Down
DaOldGuy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
I'm thinking about filling in the extra holes in my engine rails with Gorilla glue. Any thoughts?
Stick a dowel rod in with the GG glue
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:45 AM
waynemia is offline
Find More Posts by waynemia
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy View Post
During the ground run break in, I dont mind little rich to keep cool, it will need dialed before the flight. Dont take me wrong, its not slobbery rich at all, just a tad rich.

After I shut it off, 190 was the highest spot I could find, 180 when running.
Make sure to clean the plug before you fly it then. You really should not run it rich though. Just run it less than 3500rpm on the ground runs and it should not over heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I had a carbon fiber arm... not sure where it came from because I didn't build that part of the plane originally. And yes, I have it set up with ball links on both ends. The wear is odd to me and I am not sure what caused it. It is where the arm connects to the throttle. For some reason it kind of reamed the opening out to where it no longer grips the throttle properly. It is more like putting a wrench that is too big on a nut but you can still turn it.
It was not installed tight and no locktite is my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
I'm thinking about filling in the extra holes in my engine rails with Gorilla glue. Any thoughts?
I leave mine empty. If you have too many, I would use epoxy - JB Weld.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
waynemia is offline
Find More Posts by waynemia
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
waynemia's Avatar
It was windy Sunday morning when I went to the field. I setup a JR9303 on an Electrostik and test flew it. I flew the Pizza Box and FlipFlop then went home. Wind fell off to nothing in the afternoon so I got out the Slow Stick. I had replaced some parts on the tail so I had to set the elevator and rudder.

I have a new monitor/alarm that plugs in to the balance port. I intended to fly until the alarm came on (3.3V/cell). After 30 minutes, my shoulder was hurting and it was getting too dark to see well. The battery was still 3.8V/cell.

I have my Sky Cart motor changed. I may go see if I can get it off the ground today. I took off the 1050Kv motor and put a 1500Kv on it. I think that should do the trick.

Almost have another FireFly ready to go. I just need to put the push rods, receiver, and ESC on and touch up the paint some.

Three days in Toronto this week.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Tower SUper Saver Club la528it Hot Online Deals 55 Sep 16, 2016 05:53 PM
Discussion New Club Thread - Northern Beaches Soaring Club Psionic001 Australia 13 Sep 11, 2014 08:45 AM
Discussion San Francisco Model Yacht Club's multi-club Swap Meet craig_c Dock Talk 17 Oct 13, 2009 03:28 AM