Sep 04, 2012, 11:03 AM
Waldo, I've been excusing my leccy activity because the gate to my nitro field has been locked.......and since we share a common passion for all things nitro.......I didn't want you feeling......abandoned! I was just out there and I flew my Dirty Birdie in trying to get a feel where I'm going to put the bombs on either wing. I found a box from long ago that has a mess of these 5-1/2" plastic bombs and release mechanisms!!!!! I feel the need to drop a few plastic, flour-filled bombs!!!! I'm still a nitro burner through and through........rest assured my friend!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2012, 12:24 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
Waldo, I've been excusing my leccy activity because the gate to my nitro field has been locked.......and since we share a common passion for all things nitro.......I didn't want you feeling......abandoned! I was just out there and I flew my Dirty Birdie in trying to get a feel where I'm going to put the bombs on either wing. I found a box from long ago that has a mess of these 5-1/2" plastic bombs and release mechanisms!!!!! I feel the need to drop a few plastic, flour-filled bombs!!!! I'm still a nitro burner through and through........rest assured my friend!
Denial is the first step in addiction.
Sep 04, 2012, 01:18 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
Wayne LOL

Snowman No fear man I know your passion all too well for the nitro burning flying machine its something once you have in you its just about impossible to quit and yes yes yes get those bombs dropping much fun indeed.

We think were going to get a Plane dropping golf ball game going Over here That should just make the game of golf a little more exciting and give a whole new meaning to the word FORE!!!!!!!! as a whistling Titleist comes dropping into the flight area trying to get in the hole with the windsock flag

Well here is this weeks attempted Glider tow with Glider snap rolls and all Only the key cam was recording as our regular filming guy was on Vaca fro the weekend.
Glider Tow week 2 and Ernies kadet (6 min 10 sec)
Sep 04, 2012, 03:38 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Thread OP
Looks like you're gonna have a lot of material for this years walk of shame video!! Cool vid!
Sep 04, 2012, 04:03 PM
Seems like you had a similar issue to our experience. I have some ideas for modification to this glider that I think will help.
Sep 04, 2012, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia
Denial is the first step in addiction.
Well let's see.....I'm a T_ _ _taholic and food addict to begin with what's the harm in adding to this list? (Besides the eventual heart attack/stroke that is..)

Waldo, that video speaks volumes! To err is human, to release divine!

So I got a confirmation email from Hobbypartz days ago and I'm calmly waiting for my package to arrive, right? Wrong.......I checked the status of my order and they put it on hold!!!! After being put on hold for what seemed like hours (over a half hour anyway) I'm told they held it because an item was back-ordered! And where is the email telling me this? Who knows......so now I've got to wait an additional week for a 6A ESC!!!! What happened to quality service?
Sep 04, 2012, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Well let's see.....I'm a T_ _ _taholic and food addict to begin with what's the harm in adding to this list? (Besides the eventual heart attack/stroke that is..)

So I got a confirmation email from Hobbypartz days ago and I'm calmly waiting for my package to arrive, right? Wrong.......I checked the status of my order and they put it on hold!!!! After being put on hold for what seemed like hours (over a half hour anyway) I'm told they held it because an item was back-ordered! And where is the email telling me this? Who knows......so now I've got to wait an additional week for a 6A ESC!!!! What happened to quality service?

Forget HK...try headusuprc.com or valuehobby.com for this kind of stuff. ESPECIALLY QUALITY SERVICE
Sep 04, 2012, 05:19 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Thread OP
To err is human, to release divine!

That's what SHE said!!
Sep 04, 2012, 05:34 PM
I thought you might take off with that one Plow!!
Sep 04, 2012, 06:32 PM
Quote:

I think Hobby Partz is owned by Nitroplanes company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974
Forget HK...try headusuprc.com or valuehobby.com for this kind of stuff. ESPECIALLY QUALITY SERVICE
He said Hobbypartz not Hobby King. I have never had Hobby King put something on back order once I placed the order.
Sep 04, 2012, 06:43 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Thread OP
Quote:
I thought you might take off with that one Plow!!

Well, it was the least I could do, since you so kindly teed it up for me!!
Sep 04, 2012, 11:03 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
The Victum of the 3DHS FLI.........

What will become of this Nitro Plane Extra over the weekend?
Sep 05, 2012, 07:16 AM
DOG you didn't get any tornados over your way did you.
DOG tell me more about this plane.
I think I've been left in the dark.
BTW whats going on with your van
Last edited by kerwin50; Sep 05, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
Sep 05, 2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974
Hey guys...SnowDog reporting in...crappy weather most of the weekend but today made up for it all.

Got to the field at 8am...waiting for the fog to lift! Weather report says it was 100% humidity from midnight until 8am, and very little wind, so we got fog! On the way to the field the fog started burning off...by the time I got there the fog was gone and it was starting to heat up.

Started out flying the 58" Edge...which flew really well. Then took out the 65" Vyper for a few packs and really had a blast...I love how that plane flies...even got compliments from the other pilots, including one of the other T__T owners in my club who brought his 40 size Twist out today...he wants to buy my 65" Vyper...but it's not for sale

After that it was time for some flight training...one of the new guys with his Apprentice...took him up for two flights on a buddy box and didn't have to take the controls back until it was time to land! On the second flight my brain kept telling me we were past 6 minutes, which is the time he put on his timer, so I asked him about it..he said the timer hadn't gone off, so I took the plane for a moment while he checked his timer...it never started :eek so I said I was landing it, and I did...potential problem averted! T

Then it was time for the T__T 60 with the Saito 115...had a problem with my fuel pump (which is brand new) so maybe it is a problem with my fuel tubing...not sure..gotta sort it out...just wouldn't draw fuel at more than a trickle...borrowed some fuel from another flyer just so I could fly! I moved the battery pack forward because the CG was too far back...that seemed to help, but it still balloons on landing (which my other one did not do?) so I think I'm going to investigate spoilerons on this one. Really had fun with inverted flight, flat spins, and even knife edge, which I seem to be able to do with this one, but I was not able with the last one. Must be the stronger servos I've got in this one.

After all this I did one more flight on my 65" Vyper (because now I've got a battery I can use to recharge at the field) About halfway through the flight the motor started sounding different, but it seemed to be flying okay, so I kept going. As I was doing a last hammerhead before landing, I flipped over at the top and as the nose pointed down, I noticed white smoke trailing from the plane! I thought "cool, smoke on an electric plane"...then I thought "wait a minute, I don't have a smoke system on there!", then I realized "my plane is smoking! electric fire onboard...crud...)($#$* so I cut the throttle and brought it down, landing gently on the edge of the field in the tall grass...ran out to the plane, pulled the cockpit, unplugged the battery, ran it back to the pits, started pulling off the spinner, prop (which did not break!), and cowl..everything was super hot to the touch, got it apart, noticed that the motor can had come apart somehow or slid forward, you could see the magnets from the rear edge of the can...couldn't touch the motor. I put a wet paper towel on the can to help cool it down and it started sizzling immediately...finally got it cooled down. So other than the motor, there is no other damage to the plane. The prop even survived. I feel really lucky that it turned out this way. Not sure what happened to the motor...I bought it used from a reliable source, and I don't think I was over taxing the motor. It was pretty hot today, not sure if that had anything to do with it. Anyway, I attached a few photos for your enjoyment.

It was 85 and calm and sunny and humid and hot...my face is "a bit red" after being at the field for 6 hours and I'm drinking water like there's no tomorrow...went through 6 bottles at the field.

Hope everyone else had a great day.
-Mike
Darned electrics!
Sep 05, 2012, 08:19 AM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50
DOG you didn't get any tornados over your way did you.
DOG tell me more about this plane.
I think I've been left in the dark.
BTW whats going on with your van
A tornado here is a very slim chance <plus to moving here>, even the weather people are impressed by the fact I have seen many, they have seen none. They are looking for them. We got some rain, good thing, less chance of us catching things on fire at the FLI event.

Big Van put on hold, Bought a 2000 GMC Safari as a hold over. School starting, FLI Event, just too much at once to deal with it.

The Nitro Planes ARF.... It will be falling prey to some serious <and video taped> abuse and ultimate distruction.

Quick Reply