Aug 11, 2012, 09:25 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
Wayne I'm using this smoke pump

I have room for side by side 8 oz fourtitude tanks but there isn't room for the smoke pump on the main turtle deck. It is important for this smoke pump to be on roughly the same level as the smoke oil tank so I'm afraid to set it up that way. Maybe I can get a little more creative on where pump goes though. That would be nice. I had it on top of the canister tunnel before but it was really hard to get the wing bolt in on that side because it got in the way. I got tired of working in the small space day in and day out so I finally spent a few hours re-plumbing it in the canister tunnel. It made a lot more room on top but it is a major pain to work in the tunnel. I'm not excited to do it again...

As far as the fuel tubing I'm looking for some wire automotive hose clamps small enough. It would be nice to have something spring loaded that applied even pressure all the way around.
I would not use the twist wire and I don't think you will find the screw kind that small. Good quality wire ties will do the trick and it does provide good pressure all the way around as long as you have the right fittings for the fuel line. If your fuel line is bigger than the fittings, nothing will bind them properly.

Sullivan sells some steel twist wires. If you can wrap them around two times with some spacing on the wraps, they work as long as you don't make them so tight they cut the fuel line. I have used them and they work but harder to put on correctly. I have had no problems using small wire ties. Just don't get the cheap ones that stretch and break when you tighten them. I had to remove a receiver today from a plane that was tied on with cable ties. I had trouble cutting them off with pocket knives.

Panduit has ties that I have used professionally.

I also use the neoprene fuel line for clunks. The conform to the fittines well. You can also install fuel line barbs if you need to. Dubro makes some.

I have not started the build on my 50 so I may run into some issues. I am currently considering the fuel dots. I am considering not installing a dot for the oil tank. I won't be using smoke on all flights, I don't think, so taking the canopy off to fill it should not be an issue. I also think it will be good to look inside and make sure all is well anyway.

I have tried these wire squeeze clamps, I don't trust them, especially on Tygon.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMX79&P=7

I have some of these but they are too big for any of the fuel line I use. Also, if you twist them, they come loose.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLYW8&P=7
Last edited by waynemia; Aug 11, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2012, 09:39 PM
Walk of Shame Season :)
OTE=DaOldGuy;22415220]6am the road is mine..... 13 hours of east back to PA.Got some building done while held up in the camper
Next Friday it is off to the HuckFest / King 50 Comp in Ohio![/QUOTE]
Cool on the progress DOG and have fun at the fest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974
ugh...I've been working all night on the club newsletter...when I shoulda been charging batteries....just finished club stuff, now time to go charge and load up...
Sounds like a plane load of fun to me hope you had a blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966
Nate, we need a vid of that thing flying low with the smoke on!!!!
Damn straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia
I think I will pull the engine off and put a 91FX on it.
The landing gear is on backwards.
Perseid Meteor shower tonight should start around 11pm. )
Wayne sounds great and cool on your purchase ill be looling for the shower myself love that stuff.

Nate you get that smoke ironed out I'm sure just a matter of test and fly

Well I had a great day with my T40 I am becoming a flatspin junkie lol inverted and upright riding it from about 70-100 feet up down to about 15 feet wahooooo

Edge has been buggin me 91fx is having issues running very hot no matter what I do, gonna take out the tank and run all new lines I've bypassed the fuel filler and have adjusted everything I can think of but it was smokin like a burnt marshmallow after about 1 minute of running WOT and this was also after a couple runs where it would just start losing power but I let it cool down before I attempted to adjust it again.

My friend crashed his FPV kadet today lost total communication we have the vid, he wasn't flying out of range and still in our site actually much closer than he normally flys it but he gave it a right turn command and then it said goodbye we watched it do a nice slow full power right turn until it met the ground.

Then we came home and had a tornado warning it was telling us to take shelter in an area and my wife and I looked at each other and said its right over our heads but it never did a thing we got pounded with rain though all in all it was an awesome day
Aug 11, 2012, 09:46 PM
Waldo/David - Just thinking... Do you make SURE you have fail-safes setup on those FPV installations? I was thinking about that a while back. Since the possibility of getting out-of-range is greater, It would seem prudent. I know if you have an on-board GPS and all that, you can set it up to return home or enter a recovery pattern.

I have a camera and stuff, I just have not gotten around to putting in on anything.
Aug 11, 2012, 09:48 PM
Suspended Account
Setting up smoke system is not as easy as it sounds

My twist 60 is still set up for smoke

But found the whole plane needs to be fuel proof

One servo was fastened down with double sided tape and smoke fuel mixture ate away at that

Tubes also get quickly eaten away

My smoke really never was clearly visible when I flew

I spent many hours setting it up to not really get anywhere
Aug 11, 2012, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22
Setting up smoke system is not as easy as it sounds

My twist 60 is still set up for smoke

But found the whole plane needs to be fuel proof

One servo was fastened down with double sided tape and smoke fuel mixture ate away at that

Tubes also get quickly eaten away

My smoke really never was clearly visible when I flew

I spent many hours setting it up to not really get anywhere
The gassers generate more heat at the exhaust and smoke better. I don't know what lines you were using but lines for gas should work well. I know what you mean about eating double-sided tape.

If the oil vaporizes well as it should, there not as much slime on the plane afterwards. I think the type of oil also make a lot of difference.
Aug 11, 2012, 10:03 PM
Suspended Account
I fly and set up fail safe as I fly
My UHF rc control let's me do this

Usually turn left and up a bit

But when flying fast the plane can jerk up fast, but that is ok as long as plane can handle stress in a sudden up movement

If you use pan or tilt for camera a slight offset will tell you when you get hit with fail safes
This works well with gliders, as a gradual,left turn and level,glide,is nice way to return back towards you.

But sometimes with gliders thermalling fail safe is hard to detect

If fail safe canot be set in the air then fly around fpv set trims to do as you would like if loss of control, and then remember trimmed trims, so when you land you can then set your fail safe on ground

Setting fail safe is very important with fpv

All depends on the plane

Ezstar as an example is unbreakable in the air so I set fail safe to,up,elevator and motor on to get me up fast to regain control

Usually when you loose control it is because you are too low

Quote:
Waldo/David - Just thinking... Do you make SURE you have fail-safes setup on those FPV installations? I was thinking about that a while back. Since the possibility of getting out-of-range is greater, It would seem prudent. I know if you have an on-board GPS and all that, you can set it up to return home or enter a recovery pattern.

I have a camera and stuff, I just have not gotten around to putting in on anything.
Aug 11, 2012, 10:09 PM
Suspended Account
I was using like some toxic mix you guys Recomended
To make smoke slightly red

All worked but hard to se in video as I flew so never video made

I think twist 60 was wrong plane do to size restrictions of install

Thanks once more Wayne for all your help

And thanks to,all everyone for your help

Kerwin is cool as he helped make cool,smoke mixture, and helped do the rx battery recharge 5 times to get most out of battery

Still love the orrigional twist 40 the most

Oh ya thanks Waldo for the put the tank on top of the fuse and gravity do the work so I can get lots of fuel with two tanks of twist 40, that was cool and works as I spent lots of time around trying pumps and ways to increase flight time, when I should of just put tant on top of fuse

Maybe I will make video this weekend

Quote:
The gassers generate more heat at the exhaust and smoke better. I don't know what lines you were using but lines for gas should work well. I know what you mean about eating double-sided tape.

If the oil vaporizes well as it should, there not as much slime on the plane afterwards. I think the type of oil also make a lot of difference.
Aug 11, 2012, 10:17 PM
O it was a twisted twisted evening. Insanemoondoggie joined us. Some of you may remeber him from the other site. I flew my Green Machine tail wheel less. And as usual she flat spun, followed by inside and out side snaps.
Now that she's back home the engine ran much better. I don't know if it was the diffeernt location or the oil/gas. But her Idle was perfect.
We had a bit of a cross wind but it didn't bother the Green Machine. I took my lil foamie MX out and tried to play snowman. But it just didn't work. Snowy knew how to get that tail down in the grass. Sure wish him and plowboy was here to show me how to get down and low.
I flew my little pico moth as well and as usual she was a hit.
Aug 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
Glad to be of help dave
Aug 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
Cant wait David22!
Aug 11, 2012, 10:25 PM
Wayne yes fail safe was set he thinks it was the BEC that heated up and shut down because it worked when we got back with the body bag so by then it cooled back down, he said fail safe would have kicked in if it was the Tx losing contact or so we think anyway, with such severe storms in the area he was actually keeping it close you can see the clouds in the video he recorded from the FPV cam.

David your welcome and Thank you as you have provided us all with great info in the FPV world and fun vids to watch, ill see if I can get the link to the crash now but I'm on my frackberry phone
Aug 11, 2012, 10:29 PM
Big dollar radio right there!!!! WOW!
Aug 11, 2012, 10:33 PM
3d NOOBular
Waldo it sounds like you are spinning too much prop or something to me.
Aug 11, 2012, 10:39 PM
Nate I was running a 15x4 and dropped it to a 14x4 its been giving me problems since the HSN holder unscrewed I think I took the baffle out of the muffler when I put it on the edge too so I'm wondering if that may be causing the problems also but the engine always ran great until that needle holder came out. I've put it back in and even made sure the fuel holes are lined up nicely so I'm starting to get baffled here gonna start with the fuel lines now and check the tank.

Hopefully this is the FPv crash link just scroll down on this page and look for Sig Kadet FPV Crash ill fix the link when I get to a compter instead of this crapberry
http://m.youtube.com/#/profile?gl=US...user=WTurbiasz
Last edited by Waldopepperaxe; Aug 11, 2012 at 10:51 PM.

Quick Reply