Aug 01, 2012, 02:18 PM
Flying Half Pound and Down
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
and... make sure all your wires are hooked up wiggle those sticks a bit before take off... Did I mention I got that little edge fixed up last night?
Wiggle Stick

Cool... Frankenedge rides again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe
as the date gets closer I'll have to see what I can do, because its only 6 hours away its almost a sin not to go. isn't there a law or something that says within an 8 hour drive I have to go
Well... There is bound to be an exemption of not having sleep that plays into this as well. 6 hours really? You have just got to move closer!
Just so everyone knows, the invite is open to any of you, I think Waldo and Crew and Bill are the closest... Where is Bill?
Here is some more music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7QfcvnwRTU
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2012, 02:19 PM
3d NOOBular
DOG if the invite included a plane ticket from McCarren Int. I'd come for sure Just sayin...
Aug 01, 2012, 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke
DOG if the invite included a plane ticket from McCarren Int. I'd come for sure Just sayin...
Coach maybe... but I know a high roller like you would not settle for less then first class........

My collection of polite snappy come backs is getting very thin.

We could talk <my budget> bus fare if you had a week on each side to kill.
Aug 01, 2012, 02:36 PM
3d NOOBular
A bus sounds like a great way to see the country j/k.
Aug 01, 2012, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldopepperaxe
Snowman save yourself a world of frantic put a T_ _ _T together and buy a bottle of price chopper BBQ sauce and put it in an old jar laying around the house oh wait did I say that out loud

Good luck man, I know you will only deliver the best possible snowman product to your special guests. Just don't forget to charge your batteries I don't want to see a big DOH!!!!! in the flight report LOL
Waldo, if you'd have at least tried that recipe I posted so very long ago.......you'd know that there is no substitute, but alas.......poor Waldo you have yet to taste the BBQ sauce that is indeed one of life's greatest gastronomic pleasures. How very sad.....such a scenario as you described is proof that you need such an experience yourself........otherwise such trickery wouldn't even enter into the mind....all you would be able to recall is the extra thick and spicy sweetness of a sauce that is just short of bliss. I'll include the recipe one more time.

*Stuart's Sweet &Spicy Chicken Wings.*
*It has taken me 26 years to get it right. I hope you like it!

2 cups Hunts ketchup
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup honey
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon powdered garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
1 teaspoon dry mustard or 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 cup (or to taste) Frank's Original Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like it really hot)

Combine ingredients in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and reduce by 1/3 over medium heat while _stirring constantly_! Makes 5 pints.
That's it for the sauce...try it on meatloaf, or as a fantastic BBQ sauce.
There's enough sauce here for 15-20 lbs of chicken wings, but that's ok...the sauce stores well in the fridge!

Now for the chicken wings.
Trim the tips from as many wings as you wish to serve. Make sure to cut the wing into parts.
Lay the pieces fat-side up on an ungreased jelly-roll pan and liberally sprinkle with Old Bay Seasoning.
Bake in a 400 degree oven until the skin is _crispy_ and a brown ring of baked chicken fat forms on the pan around each piece.
Approximately 35-45 minutes.

When the chicken is done, drain the pieces on paper towel to remove any extra fat and then place in a bowl and stir in as much sauce as you desire.

Enjoy!
Aug 01, 2012, 04:45 PM
Snowy it's all good as long as there is no ring of fire. remeber this is also a romantic get away for momma as well and she don't need me gassin the place up LOL.
Aug 01, 2012, 05:10 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Maidened the pizza box just now. I should have checked the lateral balance. It is pretty sensitive to the battery being off center. More than most foamies I have flown. They fly these indoors most of the time I think. I was in the drive way with 106 degree heat and 7 mph wind.

It had a lot of roll, which I am attributing to lateral balance. I don't see any other reason for the rolling. I managed to keep it in the air and up to about 60 feet getting it trimmed in. It has plenty of control with the starting throws.

The motor is studdering on startup. Not sure why. I have already tried changing the timing and startup modes. It does it without the prop on so that is not the problem. It is not a big issue.

I had my hands full anyway until I had it trimmed. It can roll inverted very fast. It also has some really stable slow flight. Both landings I made were essentially helicopter landings and soft.

I will get some video first chance I have.
Aug 01, 2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia
Maidened the pizza box just now. I should have checked the lateral balance. It is pretty sensitive to the battery being off center. More than most foamies I have flown. They fly these indoors most of the time I think. I was in the drive way with 106 degree heat and 7 mph wind.

It had a lot of roll, which I am attributing to lateral balance. I don't see any other reason for the rolling. I managed to keep it in the air and up to about 60 feet getting it trimmed in. It has plenty of control with the starting throws.

The motor is studdering on startup. Not sure why. I have already tried changing the timing and startup modes. It does it without the prop on so that is not the problem. It is not a big issue.

I had my hands full anyway until I had it trimmed. It can roll inverted very fast. It also has some really stable slow flight. Both landings I made were essentially helicopter landings and soft.

I will get some video first change I have.
Does the motor stop studdering as the pack gets some time on it? A start up studder can also be a bad solder joint or bullets that dont set well together.

Prop torque can add to the sensitivity also. You can also try a lighter pack and see if the calms the pitch too.
Aug 01, 2012, 05:19 PM
I'm soldering connectors on my lipos for my 65" Vyper...the lipos have 5.5mm bullet connectors, so I went to the LHS and got some Castle 5.5mm bullet connectors and soldered them on my ESC. Then I went to connect the battery to the ESC and discovered that the 5.5mm bullet connectors on the lipo have a longer length barrel than the 5.5mm bullet connectors that I soldered on my ESC...I didn't realize there would be different length bullet connectors of the same width...
I'm thinking I'll just cover the gap (about 1/8") with some shrink wrap unless someone else has some sage advice for me....
Aug 01, 2012, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974
I'm soldering connectors on my lipos for my 65" Vyper...the lipos have 5.5mm bullet connectors, so I went to the LHS and got some Castle 5.5mm bullet connectors and soldered them on my ESC. Then I went to connect the battery to the ESC and discovered that the 5.5mm bullet connectors on the lipo have a longer length barrel than the 5.5mm bullet connectors that I soldered on my ESC...I didn't realize there would be different length bullet connectors of the same width...
I'm thinking I'll just cover the gap (about 1/8") with some shrink wrap unless someone else has some sage advice for me....
I have done that myself without issue on a 4mm with 5S. As long as the fit in the barrel is tight and just check on them now and then.
Aug 01, 2012, 05:41 PM
Kerwin........never let it be said that'd I'd be fool enough to feed gas-inducing foods to folks I'd be spending time in an automobile with! And I promise, no rings of fire.....but if you fall fast asleep, contented, with a belly full of prime rib and are unable to fulfill your husbandly duties........well, that's on your doorstep, not mine.
Aug 01, 2012, 05:54 PM
3d NOOBular
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman
Waldo, if you'd have at least tried that recipe I posted so very long ago.......you'd know that there is no substitute, but alas.......poor Waldo you have yet to taste the BBQ sauce that is indeed one of life's greatest gastronomic pleasures. How very sad.....such a scenario as you described is proof that you need such an experience yourself........otherwise such trickery wouldn't even enter into the mind....all you would be able to recall is the extra thick and spicy sweetness of a sauce that is just short of bliss. I'll include the recipe one more time.

*Stuart's Sweet &Spicy Chicken Wings.*
*It has taken me 26 years to get it right. I hope you like it!

2 cups Hunts ketchup
2 cups dark brown sugar
1 cup honey
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon powdered garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
1 teaspoon dry mustard or 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 cup (or to taste) Frank's Original Red Hot Cayenne Pepper Sauce
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like it really hot)

Combine ingredients in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and reduce by 1/3 over medium heat while _stirring constantly_! Makes 5 pints.
That's it for the sauce...try it on meatloaf, or as a fantastic BBQ sauce.
There's enough sauce here for 15-20 lbs of chicken wings, but that's ok...the sauce stores well in the fridge!

Now for the chicken wings.
Trim the tips from as many wings as you wish to serve. Make sure to cut the wing into parts.
Lay the pieces fat-side up on an ungreased jelly-roll pan and liberally sprinkle with Old Bay Seasoning.
Bake in a 400 degree oven until the skin is _crispy_ and a brown ring of baked chicken fat forms on the pan around each piece.
Approximately 35-45 minutes.

When the chicken is done, drain the pieces on paper towel to remove any extra fat and then place in a bowl and stir in as much sauce as you desire.

Enjoy!
I think we will try this with some chicken tenderloins as I'm not a huge wing fan but the sauce looks great
Aug 01, 2012, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy
Does the motor stop studdering as the pack gets some time on it? A start up studder can also be a bad solder joint or bullets that dont set well together.

Prop torque can add to the sensitivity also. You can also try a lighter pack and see if the calms the pitch too.
It just studders at startup then it is ok until the prop stops turning. Pretty sure it is timing. Does it without a prop so it is not the prop load. I soldered the motor wires to the speed controller and I know they are OK.

The battery is a 460mah 3s so it is pretty small. I will do a better job centering it and see if that fixes the roll problem. I have the recommended prop and motor size on it. It is more of a constant deal rather than a power-on thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDog1974
I would get matching connectors for the battery and speed controller. I would not risk a poor connection or having the plugs come loose and risk the plane.
Aug 01, 2012, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia
It just studders at startup then it is ok until the prop stops turning. Pretty sure it is timing. Does it without a prop so it is not the prop load. I soldered the motor wires to the speed controller and I know they are OK.

The battery is a 460mah 3s so it is pretty small. I will do a better job centering it and see if that fixes the roll problem. I have the recommended prop and motor size on it. It is more of a constant deal rather than a power-on thing.
For grins plug a 2 cell into it and see if it does the same thing.
Aug 01, 2012, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaOldGuy
For grins plug a 2 cell into it and see if it does the same thing.
I will try that. The motor is rated for a 3S and the speed controller is rated for 2s to 4s.

Quick Reply