Dec 11, 2019, 09:46 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
Ugg! My post disappeared.

I will try to fly Friday with our crew. I have been out without a plane the last couple of times.

One of our guys lost a plane, a Delta Ray, a month or so ago. A Paraglider was out last week and said he saw it and took a picture. I will try to help rescue it.

Spent 5 hours in the pool for confined open water scuba training today. If we can just find some days to get to the lake now.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 13, 2019, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
Do y'all think we'll make it to 10 years?
its twisted plow opcorn:
Dec 14, 2019, 02:40 PM
Four pilots and the plane guru were at the park yesterday. It was light wind, sunny, and temps in the 60s. The grass is not too bad as it is dormant this time of year. I had arranged with one of the guys to go recover his plane from the woods. He had lost it a couple of months ago. We met about 11:30. We had our bud boots, jackets, and walking sticks. I also had a SW .357 magnum with varmit shot in we encountered any unfriendly ground wigglers.

A couple of weeks ago, a paraglider had flown over the woods and saw the plane. He even took a pic on his phone. He said it was lying in an open area beside a "big log". The guys that saw it said it was sitting upright and the nose had broken and was laying beside it. I had not seen the photo but off we went anyway. There is still some standing water on the field and the field is bordered by a creek between us and the woods. We had to find a crossing. We had previously done a search and had found an area where the creek wsa dry last time. I thought it might have water but be passable. We followed the creek and tested a couple of places that were too deep but did find a place that was shallow. Deer had been crossing frequently by the looks of the tracks.

The woods are full of "big logs'' so that was not much of a clue. We had a general line on where the plane was last seen crossing over into the woods. We would have to go back up stream for a couple hundreds yardss to be near the area. On our way up the creek, we had do cross about five smaller streams, be careful of the debris, try not to slip, and stay out of the thorn vines. We also found a number of "open areas" so that was not going to help much either. In addition, we only had a vague idea of how far into the woods the plane was.

So, we trudged along through the woods. We did not see any animals at all but lots of man-made rubish that had washed down the creek and into the woods during high water. We checked around all the "big logs" and "open areas" but were not having a log of luck. Whe reached a point where we knew we were in the area where the plane was last seen flying.

A note about the plane. It is a Hbbyzone Delta Ray. This has gyros and stabilization so it can fly a long way by itself as long as the throttle is up. I was not there the day he lost it so I did not know how long it had flown before he pulled the power. In the picture, they could see the plane clearly and thought it would be easy to see. The grass in the woods was about 2' high on average when we got out there. I commented that it could have settled into the grass making it hard to see.

After about 40 minutes I stopped for the other guy to catch up. I looked down and the plane was about 3' away and slightly to my right. We could have easily walked right past it. The nose they saw was actually the wing tip. It had been taped on and just came off. The actual rubber nose cone was missing. A limb had embedded a little into t he leading edge on the right side but it looked pretty good. Since it was upright the rains would only have gotten to the servos. The battery was, of course, dead.

So now we had to wind our way back through the woods to the creek crossing and back to the trucks. It took us about n hour and 2.5 miles to recover the plane. The owner put a battery in and said everthing was working except one of the servos. Not bad for a couple of months in the woods.

So now he is looking to replace the servos and perhaps the nose cone.

I got a call this morning and he cannot find the detached wing tip. It is probably in the back of his truck somewhere. I am certainly NOT going on another search to find it.

I also helped three other guys with plane issues. I had a powered glider I did not need and gifted that to one of the other pilots. He was happy. He said he used to own a free flight plane that was of that design.

So that was Friday.

Dec 14, 2019, 04:58 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldyaso View Post
its twisted plow opcorn:
That's okay by me! Lol
Dec 16, 2019, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldyaso View Post
its twisted plow opcorn:
I fully understand!
Dec 16, 2019, 02:54 PM
Looks like someone was skeet shooting that delta wing.
Dec 16, 2019, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Looks like someone was skeet shooting that delta wing.
Just 6 weeks or so in the woods.
Dec 17, 2019, 01:00 PM
Typical of Horriblzon Hobby crappola! Might have been a better solution to leave it out there for some critter to chew up and have a nice warm (read insulated) abode!
Dec 18, 2019, 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman View Post
Typical of Horriblzon Hobby crappola! Might have been a better solution to leave it out there for some critter to chew up and have a nice warm (read insulated) abode!
HobbyZone plane...
Dec 19, 2019, 10:26 AM
Thanks Wayne, I need to be corrected often........
Dec 19, 2019, 09:14 PM
Do Da Dippidy
Thread OP
I wonder if I can still fly?
Dec 21, 2019, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plowboy1966 View Post
I wonder if I can still fly?
Run ouside, start flapping your arms, and chant...

I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!

Don't forget the video.
Dec 21, 2019, 05:02 PM
Well, I have been moving my office around. Stuff on one wall goes on another wall. Reconfigure my shelves to add a keyboard table. Getting rid of 20 years of text books (at least 100 lbs.) Getting rid of stuff that I have not looked at in way too long. Attempting to organize.

Three days already. I can't tell I have made any progress.
Dec 24, 2019, 09:28 AM
Snowman's love child
Wayne your cleaning is inspiring !

The weather has been great lately so we have been getting in some flying at the club. We had around 6 guys show up Sunday which is good for mid December, (even Kerwin).

Kerwin experienced a brain fart and crash his sky surfer.

Gentlemen _Merry Christmas!
Last edited by Edwards49; Dec 24, 2019 at 12:51 PM.
Dec 24, 2019, 10:13 PM
GOD IS GOOD!!!!
Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Quick Reply